Sign in to follow this  
WilloW_737

2D panel availability with 737 NG?

Hi;I enjoy using 2D panels when flying (long story).Will the new 737NG have the ability to use 2 D panels or must you use the 3D virtual panels.I ask, as the only images/discussion/video I have seen to date using 3D virual panels.Thanks, Iain

WilloW (YMHB)

flaps2approach.com
B737-800 simulator

How's this?http://forum.avsim.net/topic/334903-we-got-a-vid/page__view__findpost__p__1975541

Wow that looks fab!Does it really have a weather WX in map mode in the screens?

Does it really have a weather WX in map mode in the screens?
That's terrain around the airport, not weather.

I quite agree that the VC is a one way ticket to a far more immersive, enjoyable, realistic sim (esp on newer machines that can - moreorless - cope with the demands). I switched to VC as a rule about two years ago (when I built a machine capable of supporting FSX with VC at usable frames) and have not looked back. Speaking from a position of relative ignorance, since the NGX will be my first PMDG purchase (how could one not buy it!?) I would like to see 2D panels incorporated in much the way that the Feelthere / Wilco PIC 737 did. I still fly that bird primarily despite the newer, prettier or more sophisticated renditions of 757s and 767s etc (as I say, I can't comment on PMDG yet, since I am new to the product line and will consider the NGX my entry point) because the individual 2D popups for overhead panel, throttle etc, EFIS controls and CDU are invaluable and make the product a joy to use, and unlike additional 3D windows, take no hit on frames, nor - let's face it - on realism. That particular bird is showing its age, and I assume its developers and publishers are reaching the end of the road revenue-wise on that one, so the PMDG product certainly excites. To anyone not yet flying in VC, give it a go. But a two screen set up really helps, with the VC dedicated to the screen in front, and a screen to the side (I prefer right) with the 2D pop ups for EFIS controls, CDU and throttle which saves panning or impossible feats of zooming at critical points in flight.

I am also a big 2D panel fan. Not anymore. NGX has converted me. But then I may be a bit biased! :(

How's this?http://forum.avsim.net/topic/334903-we-got-a-vid/page__view__findpost__p__1975541
I'm looking forward to the release, but can I just ask, why do the letters and digits look a bit blurry and indistinct in that screenshot? I don't THINK it's my eyes...Ian

I'm looking forward to the release, but can I just ask, why do the letters and digits look a bit blurry and indistinct in that screenshot? I don't THINK it's my eyes...
Because you're looking at a compressed screenshot instead of the real thing.

Because you're looking at a compressed screenshot instead of the real thing.
Ok, so why do other screen shots of other panels appear sharper?Come to think of it, I remember the PMDG 747 2D panel sometimes looked very slightly blurry to my eyes, when I used to fly it in FS9. I've not used that in a long while, so I'm not sure if its the same. Is the panel supposed to work best on a widescreen monitor?Ian

Ok, so why do other screen shots of other panels appear sharper?
Possibly because they're higher quality? The screenshots that is.EDIT: Just to show what I mean, compare the two of these. Second shot looks much different from the first, but they're from exactly the same original shot.http://i54.tinypic.com/ozk3b.jpghttp://i56.tinypic.com/ixgzvc.png