Sign in to follow this  
duckbilled

If you are using Ultimate Traffic, you may experience problems

Guest jahman

This whole idea of expecting a simmer to keep-up with what patch to apply to what version is utter nonsense!Given software installers are very intelligent these days (seemingly more so than some developpers) why on Earth can't the installer be programmed to detect the installed version and issue an appropriate message in case another version or patch must be installed first. Best of course would be to detect the current version, then pop-up a message saying which is the new version/patch that ought to be installed, then just go and download that version directly from the developper's web (ask for registration key or whatever if you want).Developpers must think in terms of self-healing software, because as any systems engineer knows, the number of errors is proportional to the square of the number of components, so if you really want simmers to give you their good money and their good time, you must think in terms of self-healing software. Me, what I want, is to click a button somewhere and all the scenery, aircraft and utility add-ons to "phone home", check for an update, download it and install it automatically. I would do that once a quarter... Cheers,- jahman.

This whole idea of expecting a simmer to keep-up with what patch to apply to what version is utter nonsense!Given software installers are very intelligent these days (seemingly more so than some developpers) why on Earth can't the installer be programmed to detect the installed version and issue an appropriate message in case another version or patch must be installed first. Best of course would be to detect the current version, then pop-up a message saying which is the new version/patch that ought to be installed, then just go and download that version directly from the developper's web (ask for registration key or whatever if you want).Developpers must think in terms of self-healing software, because as any systems engineer knows, the number of errors is proportional to the square of the number of components, so if you really want simmers to give you their good money and their good time, you must think in terms of self-healing software. Me, what I want, is to click a button somewhere and all the scenery, aircraft and utility add-ons to "phone home", check for an update, download it and install it automatically. I would do that once a quarter... Cheers,- jahman.
That's what Dave did with FS Open Clouds... of course anyone who used his software will now have to pay for it if they wish to continue to use it. I'm waiting to see if that will be implemented with FLIGHT, the onus should be on the developer to upload the updates to the MS Store which in turn will be applied to the addon automatically without any interaction by us.

\Robert Hamlich/

Actually I am glad that most FS addons don't check for or automatically install updates. The reason being is that sometimes I dont want to install updates due to ramifications that those updates might cause. For example, if GEX North America and Europe automatically updated themselves to version 1.095 (NA) and 2.0 (Euro) respectively, then I would be forced to buy GEX Africa to avoid having to run a texture switch ulitily before either flying in North America or Europe. Instead, I chose to stop updating at version 1.092 (NA) and 1.025 (Euro) and can fly between either continent as still have the textures in sync without having to do anything.Although it would make it easier for those who dont constantly browse the FS forums and maybe aren't as in tune with their FSX install and the products they have installed in it, I personally like to pick and choose what updates I get and when I run them. As wel as the fact that sometimes once I get things set the way I want and performance is perfect, I dont want to have something automatically monkeying with updating it or possibly changing settings or textures without me knowing about it.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I started a thread over at UT2, since applying the hotfix my 2011 summer schedule is stuck at June 1st 2011, you can't update the timzone file and when you select the date manually the next time you fire it up its back to June 1st, here is the link for anyone who is registered,http://ultimatetraffic.flight1.net/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=9065&title=timezone-problem-nowanyone else having this issue.

Guest jahman
Actually I am glad that most FS addons don't check for or automatically install updates. The reason being is that sometimes I dont want to install updates due to ramifications that those updates might cause. For example, if GEX North America and Europe automatically updated themselves to version 1.095 (NA) and 2.0 (Euro) respectively, then I would be forced to buy GEX Africa to avoid having to run a texture switch ulitily before either flying in North America or Europe. Instead, I chose to stop updating at version 1.092 (NA) and 1.025 (Euro) and can fly between either continent as still have the textures in sync without having to do anything.Although it would make it easier for those who dont constantly browse the FS forums and maybe aren't as in tune with their FSX install and the products they have installed in it, I personally like to pick and choose what updates I get and when I run them. As wel as the fact that sometimes once I get things set the way I want and performance is perfect, I dont want to have something automatically monkeying with updating it or possibly changing settings or textures without me knowing about it.
You know, from a software development point-of-view it is possible to add a check-box to disable automatic updates, and it also is possible to pop-up dialog boxes advising an update is available (with a checkbox for "Do not notfiy me of future updates."Oh, and BTW you should be required by Law to purchase GEX AF/ME. Everyone should! :Big Grin:Cheers,- jahman.