Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

spilok

What's the best 'touch screen" monitor for FSX?

I saw a demo of someone using a touchscreen monitor for FSX on another site, and it looked like a natural application for FSX. Being able to touch controls on the screen and operate them in the VC is something that I'd like to do.Who's using a TS monitor, and what's your opinion of the technology? I'd like to go 23" or greater, and it would be great to have speakers and camera in the monitor (I Skype my children quite a bit).Looking for some good input here.Thanks,Stan

Hello, Well I have a Dell U3011 Ultra Sharp and just love it... Its 30-inch Widescreen 2560x1600 16:10 aspect ratio... Best of luck and really comes down to the eye of the beholder...

Hello, Well I have a Dell U3011 Ultra Sharp and just love it... Its 30-inch Widescreen 2560x1600 16:10 aspect ratio... Best of luck and really comes down to the eye of the beholder...
Wow... pretty high-priced monitor. However, as you say, it's down to the eye of the beholder. How does it work with FSX. Do you feel you have an advantage in the simulation?Stan

Wow... pretty high-priced monitor. However, as you say, it's down to the eye of the beholder. How does it work with FSX. Do you feel you have an advantage in the simulation?Stan
I have a Dell U3011 as well, and it's great. But it's not a touchscreen.

Would you believe I have the same 30" Dell? Well I do. But more to your question regarding touchscreen monitors...I use four touchscreens. Two I bought as a touchscreen monitors, two I bought the touchscreen overlays and put them on myself. I bought them all from Ebay. I have separate (non-TS) monitors for the outside views. I only use the large Dell if I'm using TIR and VC...which isn't my preference. Multi monitors and touchscreens makes it far easier to actually operate the airplane, clearly see the instruments, and see where you're going at the same time. It cuts way down on mouse usage.I use the TS's for the main instrument panels, and for the MCDU and other instrument panel elements.Some choose to get small 10" screens to fit the MCDU, which is OK. I chose to use full screens as you can undock and arrange various panel 'pieces' to suit. Mine are inexpensive Hanns-G 17" monitors, with the overlays going on two Samsung 19" widescreens.TS monitors can get very expensive, so "What's the best..." has to be tempered by one's budget. Overlays are another choice if you already have extra monitors.Whatever size you get, they are a pleasure to use.

Thanks for the input; however, I decided to forgo the touchscreen technology for now. Not a price thing, just a lack of monitors that have price/value relationship. I bought an L.E.D. LG monitor (23") that is so crisp and clear that it has added a significant "extra" value with the quality it delivers to FSX and everything else. Big improvement over Dell 21" LCD I had before.Stan

Thanks for the input; however, I decided to forgo the touchscreen technology for now. Not a price thing, just a lack of monitors that have price/value relationship. I bought an L.E.D. LG monitor (23") that is so crisp and clear that it has added a significant "extra" value with the quality it delivers to FSX and everything else. Big improvement over Dell 21" LCD I had before.Stan
I have a Planar PT1510MX 15" touch screen and it works very well. Warning - the price of this will not solve your blood pressure issues. The monitor is $606 at Tiger Direct. Actually, for touch screens it's pretty inexpensive. I have mine mounted on movable arm.The monitor features a capacitive screen (LCD display-TFT active matrix). You can also turn it 90 degrees. The display is crisp and color is very natural. This is a professional monitor from a company that makes products for commercial applications.fb