Sign in to follow this  
PingPong

New problem: Videocards getting very hot

Hi allOn my primary rig, (specs below) I have two GTX 580s in SLI for nvidia surround.This past weekend I got a BSOD on my overclock so went back and tinkered a but upping both the Vcore and Vram to 1.44 and 1.66 respectively, tested and got a stable 1 hour OCCT. And Voila' No more BSODs.Now I have a strange new problem, the videocards get very hot and the fan blows almost at 100% the whole time I am using FSX. This is new, FSX is only using the GPU from 40-70% but the temps get really really high, into the 90s. The CPU tems are just fine. 38 idle 70 with FSX.I haven't moved any hardware around and all of this started immediately after I tinkered with the overclock.Any ideas?, tonight I am going to tinker some more and see if I can't bump down some of the voltages.

WIth two cards right next to each other, they've got to be blowing hot exhaust from one card onto the other. On Overclock.net I've seen users with high pressure fans that can be mounted in a way that they can point them right at the cards. If you really want to overclock two cards that are that close to each other though, I would think water would be the only really feasible option.

The cards are only mildly overclocked, and not at all overvolted.This whole problem started after I fiddled with my overclock on the CPU, which originally made me think it was due to voltages etc.It's become apparent that the problem is due to screen content(clouds), whenever there are a lot of clouds or overcast weather the cards get hot(I am guessing from all the transparency AA).

The cards are only mildly overclocked, and not at all overvolted.This whole problem started after I fiddled with my overclock on the CPU, which originally made me think it was due to voltages etc.It's become apparent that the problem is due to screen content(clouds), whenever there are a lot of clouds or overcast weather the cards get hot(I am guessing from all the transparency AA).
Yep, Transparency AA supersampling working on heavy clouds will really load up the video cards...I can usually tell when it's happening because my UPS fan kicks on.

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Ping Pong,What are your Nvidia Inspector settings? Nothing seems to make my single overclocked and overvolted 580 GTX break into a sweat above the mid 50s celcius.Kind regards,

Ping Pong,What are your Nvidia Inspector settings? Nothing seems to make my single overclocked and overvolted 580 GTX break into a sweat above the mid 50s celcius.Kind regards,
My settinga are the standard NickN settings. It's getting really annoying I am at 90 degrees C minimum all the time, the fans are blasting, and sometimes the cards are at 100% GPU usage. This only started happening recently, I usually only see this type of activity with other games like Rise of Flight. I have been flying over PNW Orbx alot recently which runs beautifully (very high settings at 30-40+ FPS) but has alot of autogen and generally cloudy, overcast weather. I think the combination of high autogen, cloudy weather(i.e. lots of cloud textures), and triplehead 5040x1050 display are just overloading the cards. Also My mobo has two PCIEx16 slots but they require the cards to be adjacent so I suspect they are heating each other. I have to do some testing over some lighter scenery and with another weather engine to see if the problem persists.

The eVGA hydro-cool water jackets come highly recommended. My water-cooled 580, which is overclocked to 975/2200 MHz, stays at 31 deg C at 100% GPU load. The absence of fan noise (which must be a real treat with two of those dustbusters going full-speed) is nice, too.

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

I would love to have a water-cooled setup, but I am stuck with these for the time being. This wasn't happening a week ago, I just have to figure out what changed. It's become very hot in Tampa FL, where I live and my man-cave has gotten a bit hotter, so that may have something to do with it. I will try the newest drivers too as nvidia has had a problem with drivers causing card overheating in the past.Finally I will probably take off my over-clock and see if that helps things.The biggest bite of this whole thing is that my system is literally running FSX perfectly at very high settings and is an absolute joy to use right now. I look back on all the work I went through to get to this point and have to just shake my head that this odd and very rare problem would rear it's head at this point.