Sign in to follow this  
europrodave

Out of Memory? I don't Think So!

That's not correct: You can run FSX under Win-32 with more than 2 GBy RAM (easily 2.5 GBy).
Having a 32-bit application take advantage of memory beyond 2GB on 32-bit Windows requires two things:1) The linker must set the LARGEADDRESSAWARE flag in the .exe header (this was done by the ACES team in one of the service packs).2) The default windows 32 memory split with 2GB for applications and 2GB for the system must be modified. On Windows XP this is done by editing the boot.ini file. On Vista and Windows 7 you would use the bcdedit command.Exactly how much memory beyond 2GB can be made available depends mostly on how much memory is on the video card, since that memory is mapped into the upper 2GB memory space, and the OS itself requires some memory to run.The situation is better on a 64-bit OS where OS, video memory etc. are mapped outside of the 4GB address space that a 32-bit application like FSX is restricted to.

Trisager said exactly what needs to be done for 32bit users.Personally, if you want to use more than 2GB of address space my advice is to get a 64bit OS.I have yet (knock on wood) to have an OOM error while using a 64bit O/S.....

That's not correct: You can run FSX under Win-32 with more than 2 GBy RAM (easily 2.5 GBy).Cheers,- jahman.
We are talking about VAS not RAM.When I was on a 32bit system I had my boot.ini set to use 3GB (with a 512MB video card). Saving me only 512MB for running the O/S. :(

...I have yet (knock on wood) to have an OOM error while using a 64bit O/S........
Really? Must be nice, I have that literally all the time. Its very frustrating.

Really? Must be nice, I have that literally all the time. Its very frustrating.
It is nice: my pc also doesn't suffer OOM's or memory issues, either. Altstiff knows how to prevent them, too.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Are you using a 64bit O/S and getting OOM errors still?Is your FSX.exe flagged to be LAA? (this was done by default if you are using the official SP)Or as the OP mentioned, some issues with the REX weather engine perhaps? I do not use REX for my weather.

Sure to both. W7 64, 6 gigs of ram, FSX SP2. I use REX for textures, ASE for weather. OOMs happen with a whole bunch of planes (for example Maddog, iFly, ConcordeX, CS 757). I fly 2d panel.