Sign in to follow this  
johnbla

Starting FSX and other programmes

When I wish to have a long flight with FSX, I usually start GBoost, then FSX, then Aivlasoft Data Provider then the Display Unit, followed by Freetracker and then finally the VRInsight programme for my M Panel (arriving hopefully this week). My question is: Is their a programme out there which will run all of the exe's automatically for me (preferably after a user determined time delay time delay).Many thanksJohn
>>Is their a programme out there Ideal Flight does just that, and so much more it's too much to go on about here.Have a look at: http://www.codelegen...ght/default.htmand also the thread: http://forum.avsim.n...ged-fsx-for-me/StevePS time delay, everything...

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

HelloSquishy, I give in.I really hope you stick around, we are all going to learn lot's from you :(
Whatever, you all go defrag your memory.... I don't care :(

Whatever, you all go defrag your memory.... I don't care :(
Good, then that's mutual Just%20Kidding.gifTo mad dog and the others, thanks for the tips! I'm going to look more into this. Any idea how big exactly the performance gain is for you guys?

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

Good, then that's mutual Just%20Kidding.gifTo mad dog and the others, thanks for the tips! I'm going to look more into this. Any idea how big exactly the performance gain is for you guys?
Hello benjaminIt is hard to quantify any performance gain from the memory defrag.What I was looking for was a way to load my standard set of programs automatically as I loaded FS9 or FSX.I typically start TrackIR, RC4 or PFE and Shoot v1.6.4 for voice control of RC4 or PFE. On long flights I will have Dave westburys FSchatter Live running just for some internet radio on my com2.Added to that lot is the stuff getting loaded from exe.xml such as EZdoc and my Goflight Drivers.What I had found was that sometimes my Flight would have more or less issues depending on the order I fired these programs up.So like the OP I went looking for a way to automate this loading order with appropriate delays to allow each app to load and initialise in as near to contiguous Ram as possible.I now have a more robust startup to my Sim sessions with less of the strange anomalies you can get with all these programs trying to coexist.Works for me anyway :(

HelloI'm sorry squishy, you had better tell microsoft that memory fragmentation does not exist.May save them from a lot of coding going forward :( http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc767886.aspx> Operating systems that support multitasking allow code and data from multiple applications to exist in the computer's physical memory ( random access memory) at the same time. It is the operating system's responsibility to ensure that physical memory is shared as efficiently as possible, and that no memory is wasted. As a result, an operating system's memory manager must contend with a problem called memory fragmentation . Memory fragmentation refers to the situation where free (available) memory becomes broken into small, scattered pieces that are not large enough to be used by applications (Figure 1). In the example shown here, free memory is separated into three separate blocks.
If you had continued to quote that article:
A common solution is to provide applications with a logical representation of memory (often called virtual memory ) that completely hides the operating system's management of physical memory. Virtual memory is an illusion that the operating system provides to simplify the application's view of memory. Applications treat virtual memory as though it were physical memory. Meanwhile, the operating system can move code and data in physical memory whenever necessary.
If you find the memory defrag tool helpful by all means use it.

If you had continued to quote that article:If you find the memory defrag tool helpful by all means use it.
HelloI could just reboot before each Sim session to flush the mem used by the programs I close before flying, but using this saves some time.Does memory fragmentation actually exist in your opinion, or contribute to OOM situations ?.Is Squishy right after all?

HelloI could just reboot before each Sim session to flush the mem used by the programs I close before flying, but using this saves some time.Does memory fragmentation actually exist in your opinion, or contribute to OOM situations ?.Is Squishy right after all?
Like I said, windows 7 (and vista for that matter, XP probably too) clears memory when it's needed. For example when you launch FSX but your memory is full with cached programs or other games, windows will clear it to make room. Look at your Task Manager ->performance, and notice the difference between free memory and available memory. Running out of memory (OOM) is something totally different, and will only happen on 32-bit, where FSX requires more memory than your 32-bit windows can assign. By default it can only assign 2GB to programs, using the /3gb rule will likely fix it.About fragmentation, as you probably know this means that files get physically scattered over the memory/disk. E.g, your FSX install won't be close together on your HDD, but scattered from beginning to end. This is bad thing because in harddrives, the head needs to physically move to read data from different parts from your HDD, causing stutters and slower loading times.Memory however, doesn't need to move anything and can practically(!) load as fast from beginning to end than beginning to middle.Just let windows control your memory. Closing programs might help, as you allow for more available RAM (=more can be cached)