Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rightseater

Routing the water?

Hi all,I picked up a Thermaltake 760is and the adapter for the new socket for my new i7 2600K build, and I'm a bit confused as to why the manual wants me to route it the way it does. The manual says to run it through my HDD first, then on to the GPU, and then through the CPU. But that doesn't make sense to me. That would have the coolant entering the CPU block after collecting heat from the HDD and GPU blocks first. I would think that I should go through the CPU block first, while the coolant is at it's coolest point right out of the radiator. Am I wrong? Wouldn't it be best to have the CPU block receive the coolant while it's at it's coolest point? I don't normally question a manufacturer's manual, but this one just seemed odd to me. I'm sure I'm wrong, just looking for the explanation as to why.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

The water in a computer cooling loop will only get to be 3-4c degrees difference between all the parts so order isn't critical. Still, I'd put the cpu first. :)BTW, I noticed in the spec's for the Thermaltake 760is doesn't list the 2600k as a supported socket. Are you sure this kit will work for you?And, the cpu block and radiator are different metals so definitely use antifreeze to prevent galvanic corrosion. Also, if it really only comes with a 120mm rad, that probably isn't enough to cool your cpu and vid cards.If you can afford it you should get your own parts.

I agree with wckbones on this one. A 120 rad is barely enough to cool just your CPU. If you want to cool both a GPU and a CPU I would recommend a 360 rad. It sounds like you're making cooling decisions based on what your case will allow. All I can say is I have been there and done that and all you end up with is a bad compromise and a waste of money. Go ahead and get the case you need and then purchase the proper cooling system.

Yep, the 760is does seem to be inferior in just about every way. I decided to go ahead and hook it up just to try it out, and I am not impressed. My H60 is far better, and so is my Mogul for that matter. It's back at the store now, and I'm just building my own. I'd highly recommend everyone to avoid this offering.

Yep, the 760is does seem to be inferior in just about every way. I decided to go ahead and hook it up just to try it out, and I am not impressed. My H60 is far better, and so is my Mogul for that matter. It's back at the store now, and I'm just building my own. I'd highly recommend everyone to avoid this offering.
I'm a big fan of water cooling, but NOT the canned water-cooling kits.And if the kit is, as mentioned above, putting dissimilar metals in the same loop, that's a complete non-starter and an absolutely STUPID design.