Sign in to follow this  
Fall_guy

Whoops, have I bought the wrong system

Hi Guys,As part of a NEW build I went ahead and purchased a Windows Home Premium 7 64 bit system, however when it arrived and I opened up the packaging, I found a Windows Home premium 7 64bit (OEM)? version.My Question is what exactly is OEM? and will I be able to legally use this version on my NEW build. OR do I need to return this DVD (Un-opened) and purchase a different Windows system.Many thanks for your helpJohn.

Hi Guys,As part of a NEW build I went ahead and purchased a Windows Home Premium 7 64 bit system, however when it arrived and I opened up the packaging, I found a Windows Home premium 7 64bit (OEM)? version.My Question is what exactly is OEM? and will I be able to legally use this version on my NEW build. OR do I need to return this DVD (Un-opened) and purchase a different Windows system.Many thanks for your helpJohn.
You can use it on your machine but it will be forever tied to that motherboard. You will not be able to use it again on a machine you build in a couple of years time.

Regards

Howard

H D Isaacs

Guest simmer9304

Hey John, All versions of Windows are either OEM or retail. Retail versions are the ones that can be installed on a single computer and the copy never goes bad as long as it is only installed on a single computer. Retail versions give you full Microsoft support and troubleshooting. An OEM version is what is typically sold to companies that sell computers like Dell, HP, etc. They are about half the cost of retail but the catch is it may only be installed once. It may be reinstalled as many times as you'd like but changing the computer's motherboard or hard drive will invalidate the install and it cannot installed on any other computers except the one it was first installed. Also OEM versions of Windows do not receive Microsoft support and troubleshooting, all support is to be done through the vendor of the computer (in this case you). This is why OEM's are cheaper.You can legally use it in this build and this build alone. If you plan on upgrading soon you may want to consider returning it and getting a retail edition. If not then you'd be fine to keep it and just wait until Windows 8 Regards,Alex

You can use it on your machine but it will be forever tied to that motherboard. You will not be able to use it again on a machine you build in a couple of years time.
HelloUnless 72 days have elapsed since it was installed last, at which point the validation server could not care.and just validates as normal.My old XP32 OEM has been on 4 different MB's now and currently lives on my IBM thinkpad

Yup, I've got an OEM (original equipment manufacturer) copy of Windows XP that has been on loads of different computers I've built over the years, and I've never had a problem getting it registered.Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Yup, I've got an OEM (original equipment manufacturer) copy of Windows XP that has been on loads of different computers I've built over the years, and I've never had a problem getting it registered.Al
Yep, agreed.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Thanks Everyone for taking the time to reply:I think I'll just go ahead with this OEM version (as some of you have pointed out there will probably be an updated version in the next couple of years).So as long as its capable of running FSX + all the 3 party purchases.................I should be OK.Thanks again fr the info guysJohn

Is that really legal? I thought that an OEM license only gave me the rights to use the OS on one computer, and when building a new computer I needed to purchase a new OEM license. :Confused:

Is that really legal? I thought that an OEM license only gave me the rights to use the OS on one computer, and when building a new computer I needed to purchase a new OEM license. :Confused:
HelloYou are correct that is how the OEM licence is intended to work.However when I build a new computer I am normally only swapping MB, CPU and Ram so I still only have one computer.If 72 days has elapsed since my last new build the validation server will have purged my last validation by then and validate as normal.If I gave my old computer away with my OEM windows still installed then you are correct that would be against the OEM licence.Consider the position of somebody who built a new PC using a P67 board then had to RMA the board because of the SATA issue, He fits the replacement B3 revision board should he then buy another copy of OEM Windows as his original OEM disk is locked to the first P67 board ?.I doubt anyone here would buy another copy in those circumstances.

Consider the position of somebody who built a new PC using a P67 board then had to RMA the board because of the SATA issue, He fits the replacement B3 revision board should he then buy another copy of OEM Windows as his original OEM disk is locked to the first P67 board ?.I doubt anyone here would buy another copy in those circumstances.
I don't think that Microsoft would consider that mobo swap to be a new computer either.:Peace:EDITED for bad english (sorry).

Guest simmer9304
I don't think that Microsoft would consider that mobo swap to be a new computer either.:Peace:EDITED for bad english (sorry).
Apparently if you can't reactivate after a new mobo you can call Microsoft and sometimes they'll reactivate your license if you get a kind person on their end

Actually, if you REALLY read the OEM declaration, with Windows 7 the OEM has to be exactly that, an Original Equipment Manufacturer. IOW, you are supposed to build the computer for sale, not for personal use. So everyone who uses the OEM Windows 7 for their own personal computer is already violationg the terms.K

Guest jahman
Actually, if you REALLY read the OEM declaration, with Windows 7 the OEM has to be exactly that, an Original Equipment Manufacturer. IOW, you are supposed to build the computer for sale, not for personal use. So everyone who uses the OEM Windows 7 for their own personal computer is already violationg the terms.K
Exactly.Cheers,- jahman.

It's a gray area IMHO. The way I use it is - only one of MY computers at a time gets a Win7 install. I have another computer with an OEM Win XP install. Technically I'm assembling it but my wife is also using it. Even with that said you're trying to tell me I have to spend another $100+ dollars to buy the EXACT same thing?!?!?! I think not. I don't care about MS support, I am the tech support. You're saying I can build a system then send it to my parents for them to use with an OEM version but I can't do the same thing??? lol...Then where does it end, what if my parents bought the PC parts for me and I assembled them? What if I bought the parts and they assembled it and shipped it to me... lolIf you tell me that's wrong... that's fair but it's your interpretation of the rule.Until some lawyer tells me I can't use an OEM disc on my machine I will refrain from spending oodles more on the retail box version.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Guest jahman
It's a gray area IMHO. The way I use it is - only one of MY computers at a time gets a Win7 install. I have another computer with an OEM Win XP install. Technically I'm assembling it but my wife is also using it. Even with that said you're trying to tell me I have to spend another $100+ dollars to buy the EXACT same thing?!?!?! I think not. I don't care about MS support, I am the tech support. You're saying I can build a system then send it to my parents for them to use with an OEM version but I can't do the same thing??? lol...Then where does it end, what if my parents bought the PC parts for me and I assembled them? What if I bought the parts and they assembled it and shipped it to me... lolIf you tell me that's wrong... that's fair but it's your interpretation of the rule.Until some lawyer tells me I can't use an OEM disc on my machine I will refrain from spending oodles more on the retail box version.
The license language is pretty clear:1. Not intended for the home builder, and2. You must sell the PC you build to another party.Seems to me the one rolling his own interpretation is you. :Big Grin: Cheers,- jahman.