Sign in to follow this  
Capt Pugwash

Folding Airstairs...

Hi Guys,I use Ryanair alot for my business travel (out of East Mids EGNX) when ever possible. I was returning from Seville the other day and decided to grab the front row window seat opposite the cabin crew folding seats, I normally go for the exit aisle wing view so I get extra leg room and feel all the aircraft flap movements extra and "get it down quick Ryanair thump and back jar landing".So there we sat at Seville in the heat with the aircrew and the rest of us sheep waiting for 2 families who decided that more duty free was a priority over getting a seat!So as I sat there grinning to myself after craning my neck to view the open doored cockpit in all it's glory, my attention was drawn to the airstairs which as we all know is the Boeing "Ryanair get em on and off quick airstair option" and how it managed to untangle all the metal into an ikea flatpack mode and slip itself into the fuselage, have to say even the airstairs on an 738 are an engineers delight!So getting to the point at last, how is the animation on the NGX for this? pretty slick and accurate would be my guess from PMDG, any video or pics would be a bonus from a tester whilst awaiting delivery day.

Rgds, Shaun

There is a showing of the animation in one of the videos already. Check the first AOA external video, then the very end of the hour-long one. It is either one of those.

Eric Vander

Pilot and Controller Boston Virtual ATC

KATL - The plural form of cow.

KORD - Something you put in a power socket.

UNIT - Something of measure

My 747 Fuel Calculator

If you watch this video http://www.flyaoamed...gx-walk-around/ and go to 14:15 you will see it yourself. LOL you guys beat me to it. I had to wait for the video to buffer to get the time marker.
download them :D

Many thanks for the link, ironically I watched this the other day but got dragged away by the wife before it got to this point!By the way... Nick is doing a grand job for AOA , FS Break & promoting the PMDG NGX via this media, I love his style of "let's have a laid back chat over a nice cream tea" approach about the NGX and sim related stuff in general, very smooth & professional young man, keep it up.Out of interest what other operators use this air-stair option or is it pretty much standard now?

Rgds, Shaun

Out of interest what other operators use this air-stair option or is it pretty much standard now?
They are not common at all here in the US. I think the only ones who have them are charter aircraft. I don't know of any mainline carrier that has them here. One reason is probably that we have very little (if any) remote de-planing. Almost every airport has jetbridges, and those that don't (like St. Petersburg/Clearwater or Burbank) deplane right at the terminal and use a stair truck. I don't know of any US airport that has deplaning that is spererated/remote from the terminal.

In Europe it is less common to find air bridges unless at a major airport, so the aircraft needs its own in the event the airport it arrives at doesn't have any facilities. I know my local airport is fairly busy, but it doesn't have jet ways, and all aircraft use their own air stairs (including NGs). Only the 757 uses airport stairs. Best regards,Robin.

Ryanair has them (dunno how much of their planes have it though) and they always tend to use them because you won't have to use the airport facilities, thus keeping things cheaper...

In Europe it is less common to find air bridges unless at a major airport, so the aircraft needs its own in the event the airport it arrives at doesn't have any facilities. I know my local airport is fairly busy, but it doesn't have jet ways, and all aircraft use their own air stairs (including NGs). Only the 757 uses airport stairs. Best regards,Robin.
They are in europe? I can't think of one greater airport that doesn't have jetways. But of course I don't know all europe but I think they are not that uncommon.
Ryanair has them (dunno how much of their planes have it though) and they always tend to use them because you won't have to use the airport facilities, thus keeping things cheaper...
They also have them because they often fly in to retired airbases from the military and this makes it cheaper in the first place not to have to buy these stairs, have people operate them and so on

I seem to remember flying with Airberlin some years ago on an NG and they parked away from the terminal and used them, not sure if they follow the same Boeing "budget airline config" philosophy" as Ryanair though, I feel sure one of you guys from Germany will know the answer to that one...? I would really like to simulate this with the NGX and my Aerosoft Stuttgart X Scenery & AES, would be real cool! I noticed airberlin parking away from the gate when I was at Stuttgart in winter earlier this year, I flew in with Flybe from Birmingham though and can't remember now if that was an NG or an Airbus parked up, but it definately had its's own stairs, surely the Airberlin NG's are fitted with them now as well for added flexibilty when at smaller airports rather than the bigger hubs? Also seem to think the same applies for Bergamo-Italy (I wish Aerosoft would do that airport) that has frequent Ryanair and Airberlin flights going in/out, definately no air bridges there for these "budget airlines" to use, unless they pay a premium I guess!

Rgds, Shaun

I flew through Dusseldorf just yesterday actually and spent a couple of hours on the observation deck while waiting for my connection. Air Berlin used a mix of jetways at the gate and parking on the field. Many non-german/smaller carriers with 737's/A319/Fokker100/DHC-8 etc were parking on the field and using stairs, didn't see any with their own stairs however. What was interesting was their use of marshal vehicles for literally every arrival.

I flew through Dusseldorf just yesterday actually and spent a couple of hours on the observation deck while waiting for my connection. Air Berlin used a mix of jetways at the gate and parking on the field. Many non-german/smaller carriers with 737's/A319/Fokker100/DHC-8 etc were parking on the field and using stairs, didn't see any with their own stairs however. What was interesting was their use of marshal vehicles for literally every arrival.
Dusseldorf has a great observation platform, I visit the exibition centre "messe" for trade shows and always stay at the Sheraton attached to the airport so I can spend time on that deck, also a good view down at the train station end I was told. Will be great to fly into Dusseldorf with the Airberlin NGX when the Mega Airport X Dusseldorf is released soon, guess with the full blown AES pack you get the follow me car experience as well. Pmdg's 737NGX and the latest from the likes of Aerosoft and Flytampa for the airports is going give us "total full in your face realism" ...nearly there...

Rgds, Shaun