Sign in to follow this  
ICMC

Out of Memory

For those that know , is the program Process Monitor (link below) useful in trying to figure out what might cause this behaviour? If not, what do you recommend, complete uninstallation of FSX and then adding one addon at a time? My main concern is that I only get these crashes after a long time of flying, > 2hrs, so going the trial and error route would be rather time consuming, I´d much rather have some sort of monitoring tool where I can detect trends and issues. Or I could just stick to shorter routes :D http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645

/Tord Hoppe, Sweden

For Vista:WINDOWS VISTA ONLY: 1. Open a command prompt with Administration rights. You find the command prompt box under "Programs-Accessories-Command prompt" 2. Right Click the command prompt and select "run as administrator". 3. Enter in the box at the prompt: (copy/paste if you wish) bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVA 2560 and press enter 4. Reboot TO set that back to default in VISTA just start the command line prompt with Admin right again and type: bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVA 2048 Hit enter and reboot. That will be stop your out of memory problem.
This solution/hack is for a 32bit OS only. The OP has a 64bit OS.

Konrad

Here the same OOM error with Vista 64bit on my I7 920 and GeForce 560, 6GB Ram, FSX Acc. Pack after departure out of Aerosofts EDDM Mega Airport and photorealistic Aerosoft Germany South scenery and ASE-Weather. Just climbed to 7000 feet, memory ran out. What can we do against these oom problems?

Best regards

Chris Schnaedelbach
CEO / President of Cyber Air Virtual Airlines  (established since 1994)
Intel I7-4790 with 8GB DDR3-1600 Ram; GeForce GTX 970 with 4 GB RAM; Win10 64Bit Home Edition; P3Dv3 and also FSX Acceleration Pack German Version;

Right Just did another flightThe tutorial flight to EHAMComing up to EH608 had the approach on and then hot the second autopilot button and that was thatNot enough memoryI had changed all the virtual settings and lfted the mins up to 10000MB as recommended was 9213MB and thwe max to 18000MB And still the error

Ian C. McCulloch

'What would one do without Malt Whisky? Slainte Mhath'

It only can get better

32 bit systems try the USERVA switch AND I `d say set the Virtual Memory at Custom, at which point Windows will advise the max amount possible, set it to this. For 64 bit users I`d just try the Virtual Memory increase only, see how that works-or not. Reboot after any Virtual Memory change, its easy to swap it back to being managed by Windows again and reboot. Five minutes to set up a change that 100% works on a 32 bit system thats been well maintained and usually error free. Less time than that on the 64 bit system, to see if it helps at all-its worth the effort to check for any gains. I`d be interested in knowing the results of that one on the 64 bit. I`ve been doing the 32 bit one myself on several different machines and multiple HD wipes for a few years now with NO OOM errors whatsoever. EDIT: just seen the above after I posted. Back to the drawing board with 64 bit. Although it gives folks problems it is nice to know it isn`t just limited to 32 bit only. I knew I could get over the problems with 32 bit, it started around FSX Sp1 if I recall, thats when I first started to notice the OOM errors but used the fix successfully ever since then on my 32 bit system.

32 bit systems try the USERVA switch AND I `d say set the Virtual Memory at Custom, at which point Windows will advise the max amount possible, set it to this. For 64 bit users I`d just try the Virtual Memory increase only, see how that works-or not. Reboot after any Virtual Memory change, its easy to swap it back to being managed by Windows again and reboot. Five minutes to set up a change that 100% works on a 32 bit system thats been well maintained and usually error free. Less time than that on the 64 bit system, to see if it helps at all-its worth the effort to check for any gains. I`d be interested in knowing the results of that one on the 64 bit. I`ve been doing the 32 bit one myself on several different machines and multiple HD wipes for a few years now with NO OOM errors whatsoever. EDIT: just seen the above after I posted. Back to the drawing board with 64 bit. Although it gives folks problems it is nice to know it isn`t just limited to 32 bit only. I knew I could get over the problems with 32 bit, it started around FSX Sp1 if I recall, thats when I first started to notice the OOM errors but used the fix successfully ever since then on my 32 bit system.
The problem isI have never ever had this problem. This is the first time with the 737NGX.Just did another test flight. again the tutoroal flight landed, taxied while taxing changed the view to exterior and bang red cross The PC is fast enough the is enough mem and page file enough ram for grafixWhat is the problem??? Thx Ian

Ian C. McCulloch

It only can get better

For those that know , is the program Process Monitor (link below) useful in trying to figure out what might cause this behaviour? If not, what do you recommend, complete uninstallation of FSX and then adding one addon at a time? My main concern is that I only get these crashes after a long time of flying, > 2hrs, so going the trial and error route would be rather time consuming, I´d much rather have some sort of monitoring tool where I can detect trends and issues. Or I could just stick to shorter routes :D http://technet.micro...ernals/bb896645
Funny you should mention ProcMon :) Yes, ProcMon "can" tell you a lot about why FSX is crashing, but --- If you run ProcMon, waiting for a Crash, your PC will run FSX very slowly. Also, there is also a LOT of information provided by ProcMon -- the key is being able to understand watt you are seeing, and not get to Paranoid about all the items that do not appear to be SUCCESSFULL Worried.gif If you are prepared to get really deep into this, Process Explorer will also give you additional information, and allow you to drill down to a more precise cause of your particular issue. Geoff

My main concern is that I only get these crashes after a long time of flying, > 2hrs, http://technet.micro...ernals/bb896645
Sounds like that could be running out of memory issue. If you can fly longer, or indefinatly, with your sliders lower, then that would tend to confirm a low memory issue. One of the issues with FSX ( Nothing to do with PMDG), is that FSX does not do a very good job in managing its memory, and in recovering previously used, but now unallocated memory. After some time of flying, and constant allocation, and then deallocation of "chunks" of memory, the memory get very Fragmented. I see no visble signs of FSX dealing with that, so that eventually what happens is, depsite have lots of FREE memory available, FSX goes to request a give size amount of memory, and there is no contigeous amount that size available .. resulting in OUT OF MEMORY, that FSX does not seem programmed to recover from. {yawn yawn -- sorry } Bottom line is you probably will have to reduce the amount of memory needed, by either turning down sliders, or by not running some of the other addons you have running in FSX. -- Or Update to Windows 7 64 Bit. You migt get some mileage from using one of the many "Real time" Memory defragmenter.I have had some good success with these, when running FSX is heavily loaded with addons, ob a 32 bit OS. Geoff

Guys On a number of occasions now people here have been talking of me upgrading to Win 64 bit. I have said before I am running 64 bit and also in my foioter it shows Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit.So the 64 bit also has a problem with the OOM.I still think the problem is within NGX as I have never had the problem ever before and I am not new to Fight SImI started it when it was on Atari and still Microprose. So give me some credit here. And now let us start from fresh. Why is this happening and what is the solution Thx Ian

Ian C. McCulloch

It only can get better

Guys On a number of occasions now people here have been talking of me upgrading to Win 64 bit. I have said before I am running 64 bit and also in my foioter it shows Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit.So the 64 bit also has a problem with the OOM.I still think the problem is within NGX as I have never had the problem ever before and I am not new to Fight SImI started it when it was on Atari and still Microprose. So give me some credit here. And now let us start from fresh. Why is this happening and what is the solution Thx Ian
Where is your FSX installed? If it is in Programs Files(86), get it out of there...NOW (Do not pass GO, do not collect $200).Ryan told me to install FSX in C:\Microsoft FlightsimulatorX, and that is what I did.Start the sim, make sure it works, shut it down and go to ******* Bojote tweaks and get a replacement FSX.CFG file. This is what I did and "Voala!" no more OOM errors (so far) and everything is running smooth as silk. Bob

And now let us start from fresh. Why is this happening and what is the solution
Ian I assume you didn't read any of the suggestions of "why is this happening". Nothing to do with virtual memory, task manager, page files or physical memory amounts. Simple explanation: something pushing FSX over the limit it can handle. The limit is defined by the virtual address space it has to work with and your hardware setup. The latter can be plain mystery and the NGX may well be the most intensive plane you've flown so no point comparing it to others. Simple solution for now: reduce sliders and/or the amount of other addons in use. Tougher solution: find someone who has a computer with satisfactory performance and never had OOM problems in FSX with the NGX or any other addon. Then build an EXACT copy of that system. That's what I'll do if I decide to build a new one.

Where is your FSX installed? If it is in Programs Files(86), get it out of there...NOW (Do not pass GO, do not collect $200).Ryan told me to install FSX in C:\Microsoft FlightsimulatorX, and that is what I did.Start the sim, make sure it works, shut it down and go to ******* Bojote tweaks and get a replacement FSX.CFG file. This is what I did and "Voala!" no more OOM errors (so far) and everything is running smooth as silk. Bob
Can anyone explain why moving FSX out of the typical "Program Files (X86)" directory, should have effect on OOM errors ?What is the logic in doing so to stop OOM errors? ( apart from the obvious security policy aspects in Windows 7 ) Geoff

BobI have FSX installed on a separate HDD which 150GB. I also have a separate partition on a different HDD again to my C drive which hosts the page file.So it can'r be that either but I will certainly give the FSX.CFG file a try Thx Ian

Ian C. McCulloch

It only can get better

My FSX Acc. Pack at Vista SP2 64 Bit is not installed on the OS harddisk, it is installed on a seperate one. I never hat these OOM problems with other addon planes (like Feelthere 737, iFly 737), but with the PMDG 737NGX. Usually my FSX runs very smooth. Yesterday I did another try, FSX crashes 5 minutes after airborne out of EDDM. I hope, PMDG will find a solution for this, the plane can't be used in this release version on my 64bit System. Looking forward for an answer by a PMDG member in this threat. Chris

Best regards

Chris Schnaedelbach
CEO / President of Cyber Air Virtual Airlines  (established since 1994)
Intel I7-4790 with 8GB DDR3-1600 Ram; GeForce GTX 970 with 4 GB RAM; Win10 64Bit Home Edition; P3Dv3 and also FSX Acceleration Pack German Version;

You may want to try disabling "Superfetch" (the Windows memory cashing service).Go to the "Search" and type in "services.msc". Once open, locate the SuperFetch key. Double-click the SuperFetch key and it will open the Properties dialog window. Here you can disable it by changing the dropdown to "Disabled".I did this and it helped a lot. Bob