Sign in to follow this  
yurekk

Brakes overheat in flight?

Hello. First of all I must say that this aircraft blew all my expectations right into the window. I expected it to be great, but i did not realize how awesome it would be. It is the best add-on airplane I ever seen! Now onto my question. I get weird brake overheat problem while I am actually in flight. I mean everything is fine during the taxi, takeoff and climb out, but after a while I get fire alarm bell going off and an indication that brakes have overheated and subsequently failed. How can they overheat in flight? If I clear the failure after a while it comes back. What am I doing wrong?

Guest Tamadeez

Have you set the gear lever to off?

Have you set the gear lever to off? Your probably getting a wheel well fire because of that LoL
Yep, it is in off position (middle). I set it there right after takeoff.

Guest dlrk

Is it associated with wind changes?

Guest Tamadeez

Hmmm. If you get this fire warning thing again maybe try lowering the gear and see if the air flow cools them down. Hopefully someone from PMDG can fully answer your woes

Hi, Just make sure your at or below VLE.

Hmmm. If you get this fire warning thing again maybe try lowering the gear and see if the air flow cools them down. Hopefully someone from PMDG can fully answer your woes

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

Is it associated with wind changes?
Hmm, might be. I use ASX and it gives me those abrupt winds changes aloft. Can you elaborate a bit more?
Hi,Just make sure your at or below VLE.
But they overheat while cruising with gears retracted. I taxi, takeoff, climb and I get fire warning when I am almost or at cruise altitude.
Might of just got warmer and warmer when you retracted the gear after takeoff. Where you breaking hard during taxi ?
No, i did not barake hard during taxi. Taxi speed did not exceed 15 knots.

Hmm, might be. I use ASX and it gives me those abrupt winds changes aloft. Can you elaborate a bit more? But they overheat while cruising with gears retracted. I taxi, takeoff, climb and I get fire warning when I am almost or at cruise altitude. No, i did not barake hard during taxi. Taxi speed did not exceed 15 knots.
PMDG said in another post - On the wheel well fires, are you heating up the brakes and then taking back off and retracting the gear? In real life if the brakes are hot you leave the gear down in the air to cool them - same thing here.

No rejected takeoff or brake abuse, then it sounds like a bug and if it persists submit a support ticket. Also anyone having this trouble, is it happening with Carbon brake option as well as steel?

There have been a few reports of this related to wind changes in flight. I believe they are looking into this.

Tom Landry

PMDG_NGX_Tech_Team.jpg

Yes, it is 100% related to wind changes in flight. I was able to duplicate this a dozen times.

Sorry for hijacking, but i fried my first set of Brakes yesterday, because i want to see how it feels and reacts. (Hands on Training ;) I flew from KRNT to KBFI with hard brakes, no reverser. Turned immediately around and made a rejected takeoff. I got no warning light for overheating Brakes. I sat on the Runway for a couple of minutes and wanted to taxi to a stand. The aircraft was very light (1/3 Fuel, no pax, no cargo) and as soon as i hit the brake a little to get the turn that plane was not braking at all. Is this normal that there is no warning when the breaks are fried and INOP? The Maintenance Menu in the FMC states that they are down and needed to be replaced, but the plane itself should inform me too isn't it? I'm stil in the beginning process to get through the whole manual and i couldn't find it in the manual so far. br, a