Sign in to follow this  
Peter de Bruin

ADF needles float

The new HOT fix didn't catch the problem yet. Flying difficult aproaches like Insbruck ( LOWI ) are impossible without relaible NDB info. It seems like it is dampened when arriving at the NDB now but it is still useless while moving some 30 degrees in both directions randomly....!

A little late, but I'm just going to chime in here. It depends on where you fly, the terrain and what it's made of, transmitter placement, whether or not the FAA and FCC paid attention AND got it right when authorizing the installation of another transmitter or tower, what you fly, your altitude, your NDB equipment on board (everything is not created equal). So many variables to consider, and as someone said, that's one of the reasons it's a non-precision approach. I"m sure that two or more different transmitters laying around can create some interested harmonics to fool with an NDB signal. Fun electronic world out there. Bottom line is that you CAN see swings of 60+ degrees (that's excessive), but you'll fly through it and it will change. Believe it or not, aircraft themselves CAN also effect this on certain frequencies, but that is often mitigated by design and antenna placement and tuning. Certainly a constant variation everywhere you fly is NOT accurate. If this was done intentionally (I haven't paid attention to it), maybe they attempted to approximate variation. To be honest, I've never shot an NDB approach in FSX, so I guess this is a challenge I'll have to look into. Be well, you fellow sim-head, techno types. :)
NEW POST: HiFly and others, many thanks for the information you provided to this topic. It appears as if the question was answered (hope to that my initial info was helpful). In case someone was looking for additional information, the following was taken directly from the FAA's "Aeronautical Information Manual" located at the link provided below.LINK: http://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/ATPubs/AIM/AIMbasic2-11-10.pdf d. Radio beacons are subject to disturbances thatmay result in erroneous bearing information. Suchdisturbances result from such factors as lightning,precipitation static, etc. At night, radio beacons arevulnerable to interference from distant stations.Nearly all disturbances which affect the AutomaticDirection Finder (ADF) bearing also affect thefacility’s identification. Noisy identification usuallyoccurs when the ADF needle is erratic. Voice, musicor erroneous identification may be heard when asteady false bearing is being displayed. Since ADFreceivers do not have a “flag” to warn the pilot whenerroneous bearing information is being displayed, thepilot should continuously monitor the NDB’s identification. I really hope this helps to answer any lingering questions. Be well.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

ADFs can show stupid indications. However, if your ADF swung around like it does in the NGX 100% of the time with 100% of beacons in the world, it would be time to get a new ADF. It is impossible to track an NDB at all with the ADF in the NGX, let alone attempt an NDB approach.

ADFs can show stupid indications. However, if your ADF swung around like it does in the NGX 100% of the time with 100% of beacons in the world, it would be time to get a new ADF. It is impossible to track an NDB at all with the ADF in the NGX, let alone attempt an NDB approach.
Absolutely agree. Anyone who claims the behaviour of the ADF is realistic has never flown one in real life. Aside from weather considerations (i.e a thunderstorm), an ADF is quite capable of displaying a reasonably steady bearing - so much so that each year when I renew my Instrument Rating I am expected to fly an NDB approach to +/- 5 degrees. If I fall out of that tolerance I fail my flight test! I am also advised on good authority that airline pilots are also required to satisfy the same requirements that I have to for my rating. So please, those who have no real experience in this, please don't tell people it is normal behaviour, because it is not.

David Porrett