Sign in to follow this  
jbassue

Is it worth it?

I have WIndows 7 32bit, I'm running 4GB RAM, I've tried my best to install WIndows 7 x64 bit, but everytime I do, some new error on installation, or I can't connect to internet after. 3.25 GB is usable on my computer. I now try installing 64 again Everything installs, but when I try to boot (Safe mode) It hangs at CLASSPNP.SYS file, can't get around it.What I want to know is if the struggle is worth-it to install this Nonsense. If so what type of performance boost am I looking at if any at all? Rolling%20Eyes.gif

Regards,
Jamaljé Bassue

Its definately worth upgrading to 64. It completely eliminated the OOM errors I was getting and gave me a boost in performance as well.

Are you formatting the disk before installing x64? It won't install over x32 without a horrible mess.

AMD • 5800X3D • RX7900 XT • B550 • 32GB DDR4
pmdgswitch.jpg

Are you installing a fresh copy of Windows or are you trying to do the "upgrade"? I would suggest you backup your data and reformat your HDD from the Windows installer. EDIT: flyingscampi beat me to it!

Yes what everyone said above..90% of my FSX performance improved when I went with 64bit. No more out of mem errors and so on. Also when you do get that taken care of I'd go with 6gigs of mem if it'll fit. I recently upgraded to 8gigs and my quad core 2.66/9800 GT is running NGX really nice. Cant imagine when I get my i7.

OK, please help me with this though.I've read a post a few days ago that were discussing about how much a 64 bit system will improve thing overall not only FSX. There were a lot of conclusion and i don't want to bring that here.I just want to know if my way of thinking is correct: I think that having a 64 bit processor and a 32 bit system is a waste of resources. I know that most of the software don't really use 64 bit effectively (i'm a developer) but at least having a 64 bit OS will do a better management of that resources. am I correct?

OK, please help me with this though.I've read a post a few days ago that were discussing about how much a 64 bit system will improve thing overall not only FSX. There were a lot of conclusion and i don't want to bring that here.I just want to know if my way of thinking is correct: I think that having a 64 bit processor and a 32 bit system is a waste of resources. I know that most of the software don't really use 64 bit effectively (i'm a developer) but at least having a 64 bit OS will do a better management of that resources. am I correct?
Yeah. There's way, way more addressable space for programs. That means no OOMs. That's the point of using it, at least for FSX. Performance is no better, regardless of what people say.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Yeah. There's way, way more addressable space for programs. That means no OOMs. That's the point of using it, at least for FSX. Performance is no better, regardless of what people say.
??? Are you serious? I was trying to convice the wife to lemme get Windows 7 64. Cuz right now i could easely upgrade to windows 7 32 ( i run Vista 32).What's your take on this?

Well I can't really say much more than that! No OOMs is a good thing, isn't it? LOL.gif Anyway, Windows 7 comes with both 64b/32b options anyway!

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

??? Are you serious? I was trying to convice the wife to lemme get Windows 7 64. Cuz right now i could easely upgrade to windows 7 32 ( i run Vista 32).What's your take on this?
Absolutely...get 64bit W7. I know that you probably know this, but don't install FSX into Program Folder or Program Folder(86) when you get it installed.

What i mean is, is it worth going from Vista 32 to 7 32? Cuz i don't want to do a fresh install. I have close to 500 gig of flight sim on my F disk. You name the sim i have it! (yes. all paid for...). I would have to de-install and reinstall all that stuff. Tx FSXman, yes i knew but i wonder if putting FSX in my F drive is slowing it down? Tx all you guys for your inputs. Hey Zach, what the plane you're in? Just curious.

Guest Turboblower
I have WIndows 7 32bit, I'm running 4GB RAM, I've tried my best to install WIndows 7 x64 bit, but everytime I do, some new error on installation, or I can't connect to internet after. 3.25 GB is usable on my computer.I now try installing 64 again Everything installs, but when I try to boot (Safe mode) It hangs at CLASSPNP.SYS file, can't get around it.What I want to know is if the struggle is worth-it to install this Nonsense. If so what type of performance boost am I looking at if any at all? Rolling%20Eyes.gif
Have a look here http://androidyou.blogspot.com/2010/06/fixed-classpnpsys-problem.html

If your going to install a new OS the safest and most beneficial way to you, would be to reformat. Not upgrade from Vista to 7 this will cause headaches down the line, and you will end up reformatting anyway. Go for 7 its way better than Vista, and you will have the best of both worlds a sleek refined OS and the option of going 64 Bit, which in my opinion is a must.