Sign in to follow this  
Republic

QualityWings 757 Navigation/FMC Help

Hi all, I recently got the QualityWings 757 and am happy with it, but I need some help with the FMC/Navigation. I know my way around the FMC fine and can easily program it for a flight, including SIDs and STARs (as its an easy FMC to operate), but I dont have the slightest clue how to get the plane to fly the route I punched in. Basically, what I'm saying is that I dont know how to operate the autopilot on the "Autoflight mode Control Panel" as they call it. It has all these buttons like Autothrottle Arm, VNav, LNav, e.t.c. I got as far as Arming the throttle, increasing thrust and pressing the EPR button so my throttles would hold the takeoff thrust. I had VNav and the A/P on, and it seemed to be climbing by itself, but I soon realised I didn't know how to fly this thing yet, so I left it to do some reading/forum posting. Is there anyone who could help me learn how the A/P works on the 757, any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks, :)

LNAV is your directional navigation. Press this to follow your route

I'm the farthest thing from you a pro you can get but heres a quick lesson :) VNAV= vertical navigation. Pressing this will cause the autopilot to fly the flightlevel you have programmed into the fmc LNAV= lateral navigation. This button will cause the autopilot to fly the route you have programmed into the fmc. It will follow the track you see sort of like the gps. Auto throttle: Is what it sounds like :) it arms the autothrottle.Using VNAV, it will follow the speeds you have programmed. Using the speed select button (spd) , it will follow that speed you have set. SPD button: this will allow the autothrottle to set the speed you have set on the MCP (not in FMC VNAV). EPR: not sure what it is, but I was told to press this at takeoff after turning on the flight director and auto throttle and moving the throttles forward. HOLD: 2 buttons, 1 tells the autopilot to hold the selected heading. It's by the heading select knob, the other is altitude hold, underneath the altitude knob on the MCP. It tells autopilot to hold current altitude. FLCH: Flight Level Change, you can set an altitude in the MCP, higher or lower, press this button and the autopilot will go the set altitude. CMD: There a 3 of them. THe center one is what you use for normal flight. The ones on the left and right are for doing autolands. F/D: Flight director, controls the autopilot. NV/GP : no idea, never pressed it :( LOC: is for landing, It tells the autopilot to follow the localizer signal from the runway you are landing on. APP: This is for the autoland, pressing this under 1500 ft and approaching the runway will cause several things. It will turn on the other 2 autopilots, and have the autopilot follow the glideslope all the way down to the runway. V/S: vertical speed, tells the autopilot to climb or descend at the rate (feet per minute or second, I forget :) ) in the MCP. I may be wrong on a few things but thats the gist of it. I'm an amatuer LOL So here's how I do a flight, it may or may not be correct but it works for me :( 1. Start engines2. Program FMC with my route, speed and altitudes3. Taxi to runway4. set flaps, set heading in MCP to runway heading, set altitude in MCP to 10,000, set speed in MCP to 250.5. turn on f/d and autothrottle6. push throttles forward7. After throttles have been pushed forward, press EPR.8. When airborne, bring up the gear, as speed increases, bring in the flaps9. At 1500 ft, Engage autopilot CMD center button10. Push heading button and FLCH button11. at approx 2000 ft, set LNAV button12. Approaching 10,000, set VNAV Hope some of this helps :)Larry

You really need to go through the included manual, QW also has a well monitored forum where you can get specific answers

Jay

@NGX, thanks I thought that was the case. @LarryRF, Thank you very much. I was right in thinking that LNav was the lateral navigation and followed the path, and that VNav was the climb then, that's good to know. I know my way around everything else about the A/P that is on a default planes MCP, like Heading and Altitude hold, Nav/GPS, Speed holds e.t.c. It just the new FMC related things that were confusing me (LNav, VNav, EPR, and three A/P buttons). Which leads me to the problem I had when I tried to use it, no matter what A/P button I pressed only the left one came on, and for some reason LNav wouldn't come on? @PIC007 I have been through the manual but as far as I can see it doesn't explain the MCP buttons, it mainly focuses on programming and operating the FMC itself. I will read through it again to try and clear it up and try to see if I can learn how to fly on the A/P. Thanks all for your help so far, :)

Hi all, I recently got the QualityWings 757 and am happy with it, but I need some help with the FMC/Navigation. I know my way around the FMC fine and can easily program it for a flight, including SIDs and STARs (as its an easy FMC to operate), but I dont have the slightest clue how to get the plane to fly the route I punched in. Basically, what I'm saying is that I dont know how to operate the autopilot on the "Autoflight mode Control Panel" as they call it. It has all these buttons like Autothrottle Arm, VNav, LNav, e.t.c. I got as far as Arming the throttle, increasing thrust and pressing the EPR button so my throttles would hold the takeoff thrust. I had VNav and the A/P on, and it seemed to be climbing by itself, but I soon realised I didn't know how to fly this thing yet, so I left it to do some reading/forum posting. Is there anyone who could help me learn how the A/P works on the 757, any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks, :)
Hello I would look at some of the youtube videos from Qualitywings http://www.youtube.com/user/qualitywings it shoiuld help you out better in combination with the manual.

Cesar Martinez

Current system specs 

Amd 7800x3D MPG B650I EDGE WIFI  CORSAIR Vengeance 32GB DDR5

Alienware 34 aw3418dw at 120Hz 3440x1440 ultra wide

Asrock RX7900XT 2x 2gb GB ssd drives 1 GB western digital  nvme. windows 11.

You would be better reposting this in the QW forum. It's very active (so I have heard) and you'll be able to get more detailed help from other users. I use the Captain Sim 757 so I don't know what the setup is for QW

Which leads me to the problem I had when I tried to use it, no matter what A/P button I pressed only the left one came on, and for some reason LNav wouldn't come on?
You use the left one for normal ops, all three come on automatically for a 'autoland' approach, under 1500ft.For LNAV you have to be on an intercept heading and within 3 miles of the course line.

Jay

You use the left one for normal ops, all three come on automatically for a 'autoland' approach, under 1500ft.For LNAV you have to be on an intercept heading and within 3 miles of the course line.
Thanks for that, I'll keep trying and reading up on it until I get it right.
You would be better reposting this in the QW forum. It's very active (so I have heard) and you'll be able to get more detailed help from other users. I use the Captain Sim 757 so I don't know what the setup is for QW
Thanks, maybe I will. I know the CS and QW are very similar as they both replicate the real 757 pretty well. It wouldn't surprise me if the operation was almost the same. Edit: I tried again, and this time pressed Lnav and Vnav on quickly before i was out of the 3 mile range. The aircraft followed the SID (because of Lnav) and climbed to 6000 ft (Transition). Now I'm not sure whether it climbed and stayed at 6000 because it was programmed to in the SID (6000 is the SID altitude) or whether it was because I put 6000 in as the transition altitude? I still dont quite understand Vnav and how it manages thrusts for climb e.t.c. I was under the impression that when Vnav was engaged, it would maintain the climb thrust needed for the climb speed programmed in the FMC (obeying the 250 under 10000 rule of course) because the manual says "At 1000ft your engines will automatically reduce to climb thrust". But when I have Vnav engaged, it follows the altitudes I dial in on the MCP, so I am in control of the altitude via the MCP dial??

Without going into great detail, the altitude you program in the FMC tells it how to compute your VNAV 'path', TC, TD etc, but the AP will only climb/descend to the altitude you set in the MCP. This stuff is all in the QW 757 manual, really it is! Money Eyes.gif

Jay