Sign in to follow this  
Aerah

Serious stutter during landing

What are your autogen settings?

I use "normal" autogen setting. The sim is very smooth at about 25-30 just about all the time (with vertical-sync). It didn't help to disable the HUD feature though.I use ENB bloom and super-sampling AA. It looks really good and plays very well, but somehow I got this one problem; so maybe I need to sacrifice some eye-candy to fix it...The only FSUIPC feature I use is wind smoothing. Robert My computer: GTX 580, Intel I7 980x, 12 Gig Ram, Win7 64

super-sampling AA
Using "Combined" AA will cause a serious stutter when landing. Check your inspector/nHancer settings. Use 8xQ/16XQ/32x . Now I'm running 8xQ w/ 4x supersampling. PMDG, I believe you should include this in the NVIDIA Inspector sticky. Sorry for the edits. I had to get my stuff straight. Edited by ZachLW

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Using "Combined" AA will cause a serious stutter when landing.
Are you sure Zach? I've never had that happen and like the majority of us here I'm running Combined AA modes all the time (8xS)Maybe it's a combination of factors

Are you sure Zach? I've never had that happen and like the majority of us here I'm running Combined AA modes all the time (8xS)Maybe it's a combination of factors
Definitely a combinations factor, Dario. Sorry I wasn't clear. MS in any xQ/xS AA mode will cause the stutter 100% of the time for me.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

This could be a whole combination of factors. After I first installed the NGX, I was getting serious stutters right after takeoff with the HUD open. I found that pausing the sim, going into windowed mode, then back to full screen mode helped smooth out the sim again. Then I played around with some settings, such as REX cloud resolution, cloud layers in ASE, Ultimate Traffic percentages, and antialiasing. I seem to have finally found a sweet spot for the NGX given my hardware, and this is what I recommend you do as well. No one person's settings are going to fix all. Every system is different and you have to play around a little to get where you want to be. One thing is certain, the NGX seems to be a memory consumer, so anything that takes up more RAM or VRAM will cause the sim to deadlock or stutter in some situations. Try turning off traffic on approach if you want to keep cloud resolutions high, lower autogen density if you want UT at 100%, etc. FSX is a give and take world, and it's a ######, I know. Let's hope for better in MS Flight.

Brandon Burkley

This could be a whole combination of factors. After I first installed the NGX, I was getting serious stutters right after takeoff with the HUD open. I found that pausing the sim, going into windowed mode, then back to full screen mode helped smooth out the sim again. Then I played around with some settings, such as REX cloud resolution, cloud layers in ASE, Ultimate Traffic percentages, and antialiasing. I seem to have finally found a sweet spot for the NGX given my hardware, and this is what I recommend you do as well. No one person's settings are going to fix all. Every system is different and you have to play around a little to get where you want to be. One thing is certain, the NGX seems to be a memory consumer, so anything that takes up more RAM or VRAM will cause the sim to deadlock or stutter in some situations. Try turning off traffic on approach if you want to keep cloud resolutions high, lower autogen density if you want UT at 100%, etc. FSX is a give and take world, and it's a ######, I know. Let's hope for better in MS Flight.
The OP issue is 100% without a doubt directly caused by running an incompatible AA transparency setting. It's as easily remedied as it is triggered. Your issue is unrelated, but very interesting.

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

The OP issue is 100% without a doubt directly caused by running an incompatible AA transparency setting. It's as easily remedied as it is triggered. Your issue is unrelated, but very interesting.
Interesting Zach, yeah I haven't had any stutter problems since playing around with my AA. I'm using 8xS right now with 2x supersampling on a 2560x1440 display. Are those settings "compatible?" Tried using Ryan's nVidia Inspector sticky but I think those settings are catered for 1920x1080 resolutions and thus too demanding for my display. Thanks,

Brandon Burkley

Interesting Zach, yeah I haven't had any stutter problems since playing around with my AA. I'm using 8xS right now with 2x supersampling on a 2560x1440 display. Are those settings "compatible?" Tried using Ryan's nVidia Inspector sticky but I think those settings are catered for 1920x1080 resolutions and thus too demanding for my display. Thanks,
Try your current settings with multisampling "on" and see if you get a stutter when coming into proximity with the ground, if you have the time. Your 580 (that thing is fast!) should handle Ryan's suggestions with no sweat, by the way! I know my 560 handles that and better just fine.

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Wow, reading thru this is interesting. This is the first I have heard of a possible cause of the stutternig approach by mixing up the AA settings.Will try that myself - as it is not only the NGX the causes my last minute to touchdowns to stutter badly - the wonderful A2A Super Boeing does the same thing... here's hoping it is a soluton for me as well...

Try your current settings with multisampling "on" and see if you get a stutter when coming into proximity with the ground, if you have the time. Your 580 (that thing is fast!) should handle Ryan's suggestions with no sweat, by the way! I know my 560 handles that and better just fine.
Wow. I still had Inspector set to 8xS Combined with 2x supersampling. Changed it to your settings Zach - 8xQ and 4x supersampling and instant change! Much, much, smoother. Ryan should definitely check this out for the nVidia Inspector sticky. And as for the 580, you haven't seen fast til you've overclocked it to 900MHz wink.png Best,

Brandon Burkley

Although, I must say after taking a closer look the visual quality went down a bit. Alas, the give and take theory prevails!

Brandon Burkley

With my graphics card I had to turn the whole AA off. Before the NGX I had managed to run FSX with 2x AA on, but even that was too slow for the NGX, so after turning AA off everything was playable again. Have to get a better graphics card to really reap the benefit of AA. My current card is a ATI 5570 with 1gb Ram.

also, delete the tireskid texture (forget the actual name...look in fsx/texture directory) ...it is useless and there was a posting on this months ago, that when you delete this texture, fsx speeds up... landings are smoother and less pausy because fsx is not using something it was originally designed for yet never worked....

Ahh thanks!!!I guess I can live without the HUD until SP1. But is it officially recognized as a problem? Robert
I can live without HUD beyond SP1 ... seriously, I don't use it at all Whistle.gif

Dave P. Woycek