Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

paulyg123

Anybody using the 990X CPU?

I was wondering if anyone is using the 990X CPU. I have one set at 4.2 GHz and want to go higher. I can't seem to enter the BIOS. I bought this computer from Stealth Machines and they won't tell me how to get into the BIOS - if they do - they'll negate the warranty.. The ASUS Extreme III booklet doesn't say. Do you think I can push this to 4.5GHZ? or higher? I have seen 5GHZ, but the techie who built it said "O WAY" On start up it sats "TAB" to enter BIOS, but I keep on hitting it and it sends me to the window start up option - nothing for BIOS.

Paul Gugliotta

Try the del key

Di Agron

Dell XPS 15 L502X | Intel i5-2540m @ 2.60GHz | 4GB DDR3 1333MHz (2x2GB) | nVidia GT525M | Seagate 500GB 7200RPM | 15" 1366x768 | 23" LG 1360x768 |

Got a hardware question? Ask:

HERE (Mobo's, Ram, CPU's, custom builds, general hardware etc)

HERE (Graphics cards, monitors, drivers etc)

HERE (Peripherals/Hardware and related drivers)

HERE (Internet/Networking)

PMDG FMC NavData out of date message fix HERE

Paul, a 990X usually does 4.2 - 4.4GHz on safe voltage levels.4.5 most likely won't.5GHz... no way If you decide to try and OC it beyond 4.2GHz, make sure you know how to. Max Vcore is 1.375V for your chip.What's your current full load Vcore? and what are your full load temps?

ooh you mean they locked the BIOS ? yes the del key should get you there. when you reach the POST screen press the Pause key it will show the keys to enter the BIOS.

Zulfiqar  Location : VABB - Boombay - India

Powered By : X-plane  / il2 / DCS

Taking Flight where no one does

Thanks, I'll try that. I need to report back on the Voltage and temps.

Paul Gugliotta

Paul, a 990X usually does 4.2 - 4.4GHz on safe voltage levels.4.5 most likely won't.5GHz... no way If you decide to try and OC it beyond 4.2GHz, make sure you know how to. Max Vcore is 1.375V for your chip.What's your current full load Vcore? and what are your full load temps?
It's important to remember that Gulftown is also a 32nm processor and is highly overclockable. It's not as likely as Sandy Bridge to exceed 4.5 but I've seen 990x samples go above 4.5, one of the members here has one at 4.67 and Legit Reviews has one of their samples at 4.73. I was just reading a review the other day and noticed they had a 990x at 4.9 on air and even I was taken aback by that. Then there's OC3D which has a
showing their 990x hitting 5.2! I'm not suggesting that if you go out and buy a 990x today you're guaranteed to hit these clocks, just that it's not out of reach.

It's important to remember that Gulftown is also a 32nm processor and is highly overclockable. It's not as likely as Sandy Bridge to exceed 4.5 but I've seen 990x samples go above 4.5, one of the members here has one at 4.67 and Legit Reviews has one of their samples at 4.73. I was just reading a review the other day and noticed they had a 990x at 4.9 on air and even I was taken aback by that. Then there's OC3D which has a
showing their 990x hitting 5.2! I'm not suggesting that if you go out and buy a 990x today you're guaranteed to hit these clocks, just that it's not out of reach.
Yes, it's 32nm but it's still Nehalem, and I said safe Vcore Max. The absolute max Vcore is 1.375V and Alain has it at 4.67 but with 1.45V or something like that if memory servesTry to find a Gulftown at 4.5GHz or more, on 1.38V or less Almost all SB do 4.5GHz and more with that much Vcore (mine does 4.8GHz with just 1.36V)

I have to use more than 1.45v to get 4.67GHz (by the way I have the 980X not the 990X).....Guru3D had to use 1.5v to get their 980X at 4.5GHz with the same mobo (Gigabyte UD-9)... http://www.guru3d.co...8a-ud9-review/1

Overclocking is not what it used to be, I'm not saying this in a bad way but any dummies can overclock the SB (K) up to 4.5 > 4.8GHz easy, raise the multiplier + the voltage and that's it. CPU degradation will happen with high overclock, how much and how fast will always depent on Vcore voltage and GHz, as for me I don't really care about degradation as I will (normally) get a new system every 2 > 3 years. Here is a review on the 990X that can give you some idea on how to overclock it, remember that no CPU will overclock the same (mobo, memory + will have an effect on the result), always keep a eye on the temp. http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cpu_mainboard/intel_core_i7_990x_hexcore_1366/1 I've been running mine for almost one year at 4.67MHz...so far so good...as I always said I have only one rule about overclocking and here it is....."If you can't afford to overclock...don't" ....good luck.

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.

42%
    $10,710.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now