Sign in to follow this  
jkpcrevier

Paintkit doesn't work

I'll work with Jason, who put the kit together, to see what we can come up with.Pete Mac PaintPMDG Graphic Designer

Appreciate it Mac. Let me know if you need some help.? I''m more than happy to test a few things out on the paint kit side of things if this helps you guys. I now have GIMP 2.0 and PhotoX3 loaded on my Win7 64bit machine right now. CheersMark

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

So has this been addressed yet? The pmdg_7378NGX_fuselage_master.psd is just too big to load. I have a quad core and 6 gigs of memory. Has anyone managed to convert the file to .PSP? I'd like to get a copy!

Lowering the image size would be the worst thing that can be done since we wouldn't have the needed 4096x4096 per each texture. The kit is a bit messed up though, especially the 900/800 combination. The main thing is the 900 is broken. I spent all day yesterday trying to eliminate the white ring and my alignment procedures are perfect. It's almost as if the aircraft is 2 pixels too long on the back section or the textures have anchor points triggered by 4 different spots that I see on the psd. I'm still working on that but the idea of the 800 and 900 together I fully understand and make my own kits that way. The problem though is these two types being different sizes causes a lot of problems for people.If you want, I can make the master smaller, but your textures will then have to be 2048x2048, meaning you will HAVE to reduce your pmdg_739NGX_fuselage_1, pmdg_739NGX_fuselage_2 and pmdg_739NGX_fuselage_3 psd's accordingly. You'll also have to adjust your alignment a bit to compensate. Let me know, but otherwise lowering the size of the psd would not be a viable solution and would hate to see that done as I know other painters would.Reducing the size should also be noted that "technically" your textures would no longer be "High Def". Sure the size is above that of high def by definition but not really when you consider both sides are drawn on each texture, so in essence the kit as is without modification means each side is already below 2048x2048 (minus the bottom area). Reducing the whole master would then make each of your sides below 1024x1024 and some of the textures such as door signs, AOA text or what not, would then be unreadable.I think the best all around possible solution to fix all the alignment issues people are having (other than the 900 model just seeming to be too long that is), is making individual kits for the 8/9. I made my HD Duke kit a combo but the file size is just far too large to expect it to be functional for people (my psds are 2.4gb). It took me about 10 months to do it and separating them as needed will take more time so I know another kit would mean more bandwidth and overall file size increase, but it is the best solution I see personally. It may help people not able to open the master but if so it won't be by enough to matter much. If someone cannot open it as is, then by removing say the 800 textures from the 900 kit or vice versa, it wouldn't drop the file size that much. However, it might just drop the needed memory for adobe's temp file to stay at a lower size and "maybe" help people work with it better.

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

If someone cannot open it as is, then by removing say the 800 textures from the 900 kit or vice versa, it wouldn't drop the file size that much. However, it might just drop the needed memory for adobe's temp file to stay at a lower size and "maybe" help people work with it better.
For me, PhotoShop is overkill. I'm not a high end graphic artist working for corporate advertising, I'm just a guy that wants to personalize my hobby, so I don't have Photoshop, I'm looking for those compatible for Paintshop Pro textures that PMDG advertises on their site.I used Gimp to load up the master PSD and then removed the 900 layer and the dirt layer and saved it. The file is now 1.2 gigs and PSP still says there's not enough memory to load it.... as I said in my previous post, I have 6 gigs of ram. There must be some other problem with these files because I have loaded 1+gig files into Paintshop Pro before.When saved as PSP, PSD files become very manageable in size, I've converted other smaller files and the difference is amazing. If someone with a super computer could load the PSD's and re-save them as Paintshop Pro files it would be much appreciated! smile.png

It's not the need for a super computer, just can't be done (at least not in CS3). Photoshop is big brother to PSP so PSP makes importing PSD possible and can save as psd, not the other way around, meaning I cannot save as psp. Maybe a later version can but doubt adobe would do that. If PS and even GIMP can load it and PSP is telling you there isn't enough memory then there's nothing wrong with the psd, its the program. Maybe it has a 2gb cap. That does not mean you can open a file that is 1.9gb either. Once loaded into psp, ps or anything it uncompresses or spreads out to allow you to see and work, so a 500mb psd can easily be 2gb of memory usage, easily.Maybe there's a compatible format that both can open you can try, like "TIFF"? Otherwise you're probably going to get a file with only one layer.Edit: I just saw your response to my PM. My psd only opened as one layer as suspected. I just sent you the same as a TIFF with all layers. If psp has no problem with that maybe I can do the same with the full sized but that will be even larger than the psd I think.

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

George,I have PSPX4-SP1.For me, the master PSD loaded into one background layer.I sure have a lot of windows!During file loading I got a warning message ..

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

George,I have PSPX4-SP1.For me, the master PSD loaded into one background layer.I sure have a lot of windows!During file loading I got a warning message ..
Hi Vaughan, I've been PM'ing and experimenting with Turbine777. I have an older version of PSP that I've been using for years (ver.7.x) because I'm really comfortable with it and it does everything I normally need it to do. In my experiments here I've found that re-sizing to a xxxx.2048 image and then loading it in GIMP and re saving it as PSD without doing anything else, it will load into PSP with layers. With out going through GIMP, it still comes into PSP as a flat 1 layer image. Full size gives just gives me the "You don't have enough memory" error.So it looks like resizing by half all the 4096 files and washing them through GIMP first maybe the only answer for us PSP users... unless PMDG can do something about it professionally, or at least remove the misleading statement about compatibility with PSP :)

Heya George, I'm still not convinced that it's your version or the psd's themselves. You mentioned you have 6gb of ram, but what OS? Actually any OS may still struggle. Never in a paint kit (ever) has the image size been 12819 x 4096. That's quite large and unpacked in PS has me over 6gb. I'm actually in the middle of a paint of the 900 and have a couple other things going and my memory usage is just over 9gb (I have 12). I know I've mentioned it somewhere before and even with screenies, but a 400mb psd with lots of transparency files, like dirt, opacity differences, blending modes, etc, can easily get into several gb of memory usage. I don't know which of the two has better memory management. Adobe for sure with it's latest CS5.5, but that's 64bit. My next next comp is planned to have 32gb actually. If one thing I've learned playing in After Effects, Flash, PS and all that jazz, it's memory. I'm just curious if someone that can open the master psd, and uses PSP can post a screenshot of their performance tab on task manager open. If nothing else, maybe just to see. Gimp being able to open it and not PSP tells me it either is estimating or just can't fill it. From earlier comments of getting the error right away makes me think it's just estimating (that's why I did that last test with you and the nearly blank 12819x4096 psd).

Dan Prunier

Set your PM's to email notification Dan He%20He.gifI'm using Vista 64 and memory might well be the issue with that size of image.

Well I found one part of the white line issue, but not what's causing it.line.jpgLike I state in the image, the white line appears after the psd is flattened. I have seen this before, but only when there are effects tied to the image "As" it's being flattened, never after the fact. It's almost as if something had "Bevel and Emboss" and it transfered to the already flattened image. In other words, it was flattened already before dragging it onto this PSD, then once again it gets flattened and there's your white line.

Dan Prunier

Just for info:Win7-6416GBPSP-X4 with SP1Then CS5Did this info help?

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

That helps me a lot Vaughan. Helps rule out a few things and in things of this nature, process of elimination is all you can do, thanks.@ PMDGStill hoping Jason B, or Mac can give their thoughts on my above screenshot/info on the white line issue. I don't see many posts about it but let me know if you want my password and you can check the amount of pm's I've got on it. It's 90% of the reason I bought the NGX actually when I did, just to answer all the questions that come my way. I support your kits because they're free and understand why no support is given for general questions, thus the reason I field most of those, but help me help you.

Dan Prunier