Sign in to follow this  
CoolP

Cessna T182T Skylane Review

Not only has the author spend 101 hours on this model, he also took the dangerous approach of testing stalls and spins too, showing the readers how convincing the flight model on that little plane was rendered.So, while not avoiding any risk, I think Peter showed how it's done and also gave a nice perspective on that not cheap but well made bird. The only thing I (personally) can't agree in full is the 'Not too much performance impact' statement. But this of course is system and setting based and just doesn't reflect my experience, although the plane stays in the playable range of course. Just in case somebody missed that comprehensive and detailed read, go for it! smile.png

A few things regards to the G1000 comes with this Flight 1 T182T No mixture advisory indication, known as LEAN on G1000 MFD.Vnav is not modeled, this is not a must have(since we all can do math) but it is always nice to have.Limited with WAAS, US only, no support of GNSS.None-unicode support, on none western language OS, where the none unicode is leave to local setting, like Japanese or Chinese, the DTK or TRK will show "?" mark instead of a degree mark, I pointed this out when mustang comes out but no change was made. The official garmin product doesn't have this issue. My point, beside the beautiful model and aerodynamic side, the G1000 is limited as the entertainment level, even it is better than the FSX default one, but certainly can't go deeply into it. Regards

The G1000 is about 90% functionality to the real one. Not sure what else you want for $50?

The G1000 is about 90% functionality to the real one. Not sure what else you want for $50?
Well vnav for a start and having just waded through much of the Garmin G1000 manual there seems to be a lot of other stuff missing as well. I was hoping for RXP level quality and just a tad disappointed. (Apologies for resurrecting an old thread).Bruce

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

I'm sorry, but I just don't understand this plane. Why do you need the complexity of a 747 to fly a C182? It just isn't necessary. All you really need for a C182 is a chart, an altimeter and a compass.

Lose not thine airspeed, lest the ground rise up and smite thee.

I think the statement is and also was that this will give you the best G1000 rendition in a plane, together with the Mustang. Addon gauges like the Mindstar may be better, but you won't find something like the RXP units for a G1000.Be aware that the RXP stuff uses Garmin made software, the trainer. So there wasn't much to do on the logics of navigating or the handling of data, but only on the way to get the trainer app running inside a FS9 or FSX gauge. If RXP had to develop the actual GPS (which the trainer delivers), you wouldn't see that thing at that price. And the price for those things already is pretty high. Ask about current nav data over at RXP and they will tell you to buy the Garmin subscription. Ever looked at those prices?But I hear you, Bruce. Airways, VNAV, range rings.. I could think of some features to be added to the current gauge. However, nobody is lying when he tells you that, for 50 bucks, you'll get a very nicely done plane plus a detailed G1000 gauge with Navigraph updates.As much as I enjoy the classic steam gauge planes, the ones with the glass are a class of their own when it comes to e. g. situational awareness. Hence the good rw G1000 sales.