Sign in to follow this  
drewsaw2

deleted d3d9.dll

I removed the antilag files from my fsx folder which includes the config file and the d3d9.dll. It wasn't giving me any noticable stability or performance increase so I just deleted them both. However, I just read somewhere that the d3d9.dll was actually created by directX, and the one with antilag was a replacement. Is this true?

• Upvote 1

CPU: i7-9700KF stable @ 5.0GHz | MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero | GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 Ti @ stock | RAM: G. Skill Trident Z 32GB (2x16GB) 3200Mhz | PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus | COOLING: Deepcool Castle 240 AIO | PANEL: 27" @ 1080p

Guest firehawk44
I removed the antilag files from my fsx folder which includes the config file and the d3d9.dll. It wasn't giving me any noticable stability or performance increase so I just deleted them both. However, I just read somewhere that the d3d9.dll was actually created by directX, and the one with antilag was a replacement. Is this true?
Deleting from the FSX folder was the correct thing to do as, if you do not have the ENB shader mod anymore, you do not need this dll installed in FSX as any dll located in your FSX directory will be read by FSX whether you want it read or not. Getting rid of the config and/or initiator file too was the correct thing to do. I got rid of mine too when I removed the ENB mod. Not sure about the antilag files but I wouldn't worry about it if FSX runs okay. The antilag files are located in the Windows/System32 folder and are installed with your video card. Best regards,Jim

Thanks Jim. I actually think it was one of your posts that I read. I wanted to be sure I didn't delete something I wasn't suppose to. I am having trouble with a payware scenery, and the only thing I remember doing before the toruble began was removing those two files, but it could be unrelated.

CPU: i7-9700KF stable @ 5.0GHz | MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero | GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 Ti @ stock | RAM: G. Skill Trident Z 32GB (2x16GB) 3200Mhz | PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus | COOLING: Deepcool Castle 240 AIO | PANEL: 27" @ 1080p

The "real" d3d.dll file, the one that's part of DirectX, is located in C:\Windows\System32 (and the 64-bit version in C:\Windows\SysWOW64). Applications are written to first look for any dll files they need in their own application folder, before searching the Windows system folders. That's how stuff like Antilag and ENB Series can be enabled automagically by simply putting a replacement d3d.dll file into the FSX folder. If no d3d.dll file exists in the application folder, the standard d3d.dll file from the Windows system folder will be used.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

The "real" d3d.dll file, the one that's part of DirectX, is located in C:\Windows\System32 (and the 64-bit version in C:\Windows\SysWOW64). Applications are written to first look for any dll files they need in their own application folder, before searching the Windows system folders. That's how stuff like Antilag and ENB Series can be enabled automagically by simply putting a replacement d3d.dll file into the FSX folder. If no d3d.dll file exists in the application folder, the standard d3d.dll file from the Windows system folder will be used.
I didn't know thats how it worked. Interesting. Thanks

Guest firehawk44
Thanks Jim. I actually think it was one of your posts that I read.
Glad you got it sorted. I don't ever recall suggesting keeping the d3d9.dlll in the fsx folder and, if I ever did, someone here on this forum would have surely corrected me in the same post. I actually never heard of the Antilag file but know it wasn't part of the original FSX installation and probably an addon. That's why I'm happy JimmiG came on and reinforced my comments. Best regards,Jim

Well written applications should not put any system files in the FSX folder but should use the default ones in C:\Windows.

I know this is an old topic, just wanted to say that reading this topic helped me out fixing a big problem, so thanks all!