Sign in to follow this  
conura

Why planes?

My story is definitely a lot like the previous posts here regarding childhood memories. My earliest memory was getting to go in the cockpit of a BA 747 from the UK to the US (after drawing the pilots a picture of the plane), and since then my life has revolved around flying. Got my PPL and instrument at 19 and haven't looked back. I can never wrap my head around very wealthy individuals (movie stars, etc) that have millions of dollars yet never want to fly or own a plane. Unfathomable to me!

Me too, I was always fascinated with airplanes and weather at a young age... My dad flew back seat in F4's for the Navy and his stories always sparked my imagination and made me long for the skies for as long as I can remember. Simming started with JET and FS3.0! I got my first "lesson" in a Piper Tomahawk with Art Scholl (rip) out of his FBO at Rialto airport about 13 years of age. Started training at 15 and had my PPL at 17. Bought a plane (Mooney M20C) at 22 but was heavily entrenched in my career in IT and didn't get to fly much for several years, and eventually sold the plane. Then I got into flight simulation software development with TRI's FLY! working as developer for PMDG's first 2 airliner simulation products (757 and 767). After that I started flying lots again and went on to earn my instrument, multi-engine and commercial. Finally I made Active Sky (FS98/2002) and have been pretty much doing that since! My flying these days is strictly on the sim, although I don't get to "fly" as much as I'd like, it's more like dozens of restarts, with the intermittent quick slew to altitude and a check of the debugger! Although every once in a while I do managed to get in a flight, just for me. Just like the rest of you, I'm addicted to flight and always will be!

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

My father was in the Navy during Vietnam and flew E-2s and other planes. When I was born he got out and became a CFI. He would take me up often as a young kid (see my avatar) and teach me to fly while I sat on phone books so I could reach the yoke. I've always loved flying. Although I did get out of it for a while after I got motion sick a couple of times in rough weather in the back seat. I am now much older but getting back into it. It's a great hobby with a lot to learn and sink your teeth into.