Sign in to follow this  
trisager

NGX: Cold & Dark to Shutdown Checklist

I'm asking why I have to set 160 when the A/T is disarmed.As you said, if the A/T is disarmed I have to get to 160 manually, which is no problem, so I was wondering if there was any significance or reasoning behind setting 160 with the A/T already diosconnected.Just curious because with this plane there might be some reasoning there that I'd like to learn about...

Ah, LOL, I see what you mean now... I am so used to using A/T that I didn't understand your point. :( You mean to say 'Why set 160 on the MCP when you are flying manually?' Good question, haha. Maybe Tom Risager let's you do it just for reference (but that's a bit useless because you can refer to the PFD) or in case you want to enable A/T again later on (which would also be odd)... So er... I don't know, really! Then again, as I said, Tom himself says he deviates from reality here and I also don't know why he would do that...Tom, are you still around to explain the why of all this? :(

I believe I can answer this.In the (PMDG) J41 - which has no autothrottle at all - you are still exptected to manually set speed bugs on your airspeed indicator to show the V speeds (for landing: Vref, Vapp and some others). The reason for that is improved/immediate visibility of current vs. desired airspeed.So I believe in the NGX it's the same basic idea. Even though (or rather: especially because) you are not using A/T, you dial in the desired airspeed on the MCP, so that you get the magenta marker on your PFD showing you at a glance where you want your airspeed to be.Even though I do not actually KNOW this to be true, it seems to me like the most plausible explanation.Regards,

Ah, yes, could well be. I already said you could use the flap speeds on the PFD for reference, but seeing the magenta marker does help indeed. Could/should have thought of that myself... :(

hi, the tutorial download link is broken. Can someone direct me to where else I can get it? or send it to me?thank you

Dear Tom,

First of all I would like to thank you for your fantastic „from cold and dark to shutdown checklist” tutorial.

I tried to contact you via E-Mail, but the one you wrote in your tutorial does not work.

I’ve flown the tutorial as described, and everything really worked fine.

I have a question on programing the CDU.

I have looked through several forums where some guys have the same question, but have not found an answer yet.

Let’s assume the following scenario:

I am at a X airport, have programed my flight as per your tutorial, except I used a saved company route that already includes SID, route, STAR and approach runway at my destination.
(I use vroute to generate my flight plans, and of course I’ll have SID, route, STAR and approach already pre-programmed since it saves a lot of time during preflight of the B737 NGX).

I have taken of, climbed and I am en route to my destination. Everything is fine.

Before descent or during descent I either get instructions from ATC (for example on VATSIM) to change my STAR and approach runway, or if not on-line I decide based on ATIS at the arrival airport to change my STAR and approach runway.

Now comes my question / worry:
- How can I change the STAR and the approach in the CDU, if I have another, active one in it?

- I have tried lots of things, but the active STAR and approach cannot be erased, and a new STAR and approach put into the CDU.

I know that in real world flying pilots will not input the approach runway (maybe even the STAR) into the CDU at the departure airport due to unknown circumstances at the destination airport (traffic, wind changes and so on).
But we FS pilots might do it as per point 1. above.

I am a SE / ME – IFR rated pilot, but I don’t fly anything bigger than a SENECA V, which of course does not have a FMC.

I would appreciate if you could let me know how to do the task in question 4.

Thank you and have a great weekend.

Andy

Andreas Ziegler
Niederuzwil, Switzerland

Hi guys,

Thank you for all your inputs.

I finally figured out how to change ready-made company routes in the CDU that include departure runway, SID, STAR and arrival runway.

In the CDU just need to go to the LEGS pages, go to the last page and erase the last entry (point) of the active route.

Then go to DEP / ARR in the CDU, arrivals, select a new runway and arrival.

It might give you the choice of transitions, check on the STAR chart to see if they are OK.

Changed STAR'S and runways several times during a flight, worked great.

Thank's again for your inputs.