Sign in to follow this  
Jonathan Poller

still low fps

I love this product, but i still get low fps in complex airports - around 9-15.....which is intolerable (medium settings, no DX10 preview)is this my specs? the graphics card? my addons?I followed all the tweaks availabe, even the one that amends the CFG. i get this low FPS mainly with the 737ngxmy addons:

• PMDG 737ngx, 747 and MD-11
  • Ultimate terrain X
  • REX2
  • ASE
  • my traffic x (can this be the problem? any other recommended ones?)
  • some Aerosoft mega airports
  • some FSDT airports
  • EZDOK
  • TRACKIR5
  • registered FSUIPC
  • AES

all legit...please help.....

Jonathan Poller

Banner_FS2Crew_Bus6.png qw787_banner.png

Jonathan, It's not my traffic x, in my case after installing traffic x my FPS dropped about 1 or 2 with traffic set to 30.It mite be your internal memory (it's only 4 Gig) because you are using a lot of addons.Check your taskmanager and look into performance and monitor the usage of memory.it ain't your hardware, also begin with your sliders to the left and see what happens, and slowly build it up until you are sattisfied. kind regards,

My mistake in the signaturei have 8 Gigs RAM.....i have got to say that before this rig i had Q6600 with 4G RAM and not such a big raise in FPS, and still.....painful in complex airports......on the air i have perfect FPSs......

Jonathan Poller

You will notice a bigger raise in FPS when you overclock the CPU. The higher your clocks are the faster it will run. Some of these guys are running at close to 5 ghz. So unless you can increase your CPU clocks you will have to make do with toning down your sliders a bit. Water and Clouds are the biggest FPS killers. Traffic will also drag down your FPS especially on the ground at a big airport with a ton of planes moving around. I have a Q6600 overclocked at 3.0 ghz, 8800GTX with 768 meg ram and 8 gig of system memory and I can get 15 to 17 at ORBX YBCS (Cairns) and YBBN (Brisbane) with all the options for the ORBX scenery turned on. But you have to be conservative with your FSX Sliders. I'll show you how I have mine setup. Of course if you have a next gen sandy bridge you can increase these settings more. But it's a good starting point for people with lower end systems. Since I do not have a Sandybridge I have to be conservative. My detail level is a blend of high to ultra high and I am also flying in 2d-panel mode. Graphics 1680X1050X32 ResolutionTarget Frame Rate - UnlimitedFiltering AnsiotropicAntialiasing - CheckedGlobal Texture Resolution Very HighPreview DirectX 10 - UncheckedLens Flare - CheckedLight Bloom - UncheckedAdvanced Animations - CheckedInformation text - Single Line Aircraft Only option I have checked in here is Aircraft Landing Lights Illuminate GroundShadows (Better to leave shadows unchecked as this will gain you a couple FPS) Scenery Level of detail radius - LargeMesh Complexity - 100Mesh Resolution - 10 mTexture Resolution - 1 m (set it to 7cm when using Orbx scenery)Water Effects 2.x Low (Water has huge effect on your FPS! If not flying VFR no need for anything higher)Scenery Complexity Extremely DenseAutogen density - NormalGround scenery shadows - Unchecked (Better to leave shadows unchecked as this will gain you a couple FPS)Special Effects Detail - High Weather Here it gets a little tricky as I use a variety of settings at different parts of the flight. When moving around on the ground at complex Airports I leave this at High. After I am climbing through 10,000 feet I change this to Ultra High, and move clouds to 110 nm. With Activesky Upper Visibility set to 150 nm. To me this gives the most realistic view and it doesnt look like there is a ring of clouds around you and everything after the ring is cloudless. Also go back to Scenery and turn autogen off. There is no reason for it to be on while your at cruise cause your not going to see anything on the ground at 35,000 feet anyway. By doing this you can stretch those clouds out to 110 nm without dragging your sim to a slide show. Once you get ready to descend to your arrival airport switch autogen back on and put weather settings back at High. Traffic Off because I fly on the VATSIM Network and they have their own traffic.

3233 MHZ is actually rather low for that gpu... you could probably overclock a good amount and have a huge improvement.

3233 MHZ is actually rather low for that gpu... you could probably overclock a good amount and have a huge improvement.
Yeah he could probably crank that up a lot more with a 3rd party CPU Cooler. And it is CPU not GPU.

Yeah he could probably crank that up a lot more with a 3rd party CPU Cooler. And it is CPU not GPU.
...And if you ever think of getting the best cooler out there I suggest you look into this: http://www.guru3d.com/article/noctua-nhc14-cpu-cooler-review/ I got it myself and I can easily say that it is my best hardware purchase so far!Before I had a lquid cooler (CoollT ECO by ALC) and this this thing litterally crushed it in terms of raw cooling power!At first I tought it was alittle to expensive but now I can say it's worth every penny, or euro in my case!

thank you people! I am a little afraid of overclocking + never done this before......Do you think it can be the GTX 260? should i try to overclock it as well?

Jonathan Poller

...And if you ever think of getting the best cooler out there I suggest you look into this: http://www.guru3d.co...-cooler-review/ I got it myself and I can easily say that it is my best hardware purchase so far!Before I had a lquid cooler (CoollT ECO by ALC) and this this thing litterally crushed it in terms of raw cooling power!At first I tought it was alittle to expensive but now I can say it's worth every penny, or euro in my case!
If you think the NH-C14 is good, you should check out the NH-D14. The NH-C14 isn't the best by quite a way. I can tell you from personal experience that the D14 is superb. Although now beaten by the Thermalright Silver arrow a tad.

thank you people! I am a little afraid of overclocking + never done this before......Do you think it can be the GTX 260? should i try to overclock it as well?
Try the overclock on the CPU first and see how you get on before you go messing with your video card. The rig in my sig was the first thing I have ever overclocked and like you was a little timid and scared at first as well, but I just did a little at a time, kept an eye on temps when running the stress tests and everything worked out well. I get a pretty constant 25 to 30 FPS in the majority of the addon airports in my sig and am pretty happy. Or we could just trade computers and you will be all set :-) Sean Campbell

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Alright, thanks.Any recommendation of a CPU overclocking guide?What are the odds to damage it?
Overclock from the bios only, one nocth at a time until you find it to be stable enough with fsx.The odds of damaging your hardware is very low, if there is somthing wrong the bios will detect that and will prevent your computer from starting. But I suggest you be carefull anyway and take it one step at a time. Your cpu can be clocked quite a bit from the default value of 3.2 mhz. Mine is a amd 965 clocked at 3.8 mhz stable, with yours you may achieve even more than that. Don't be afraid just make sure that if you have any doubts verify them online and move forward. I can't give you detailed guidance because every system is different.Get a good cooler first!

Go to YouTube and search for "OC i7 950".....But as said here, get a good CPU cooler. The stock cooler won´t be enough./ Leffe

Thank you guy's I did buy another cooler and oc my i7 860 (first to 3.4) and finally fsx runs smooth.I didn't expect that it would have so much impact for the smoothness of fsx.so therefore thank you guy's for sharing your knowledge im Not Worthy.gif kind regards.

I did buy another cooler and oc my i7 860 (first to 3.4) and finally fsx runs smooth.
Applause.gifApplause.gifApplause.gif