Sign in to follow this  
sagiyanay

Not really a bug but... Reverse thrust

Hi,When moving the throttles all he way up or down, when on ground, the engines stable around 24% N1 idle.When setting idle thrust on flaring, the engine give me about 34% N1 on tuchdown - makes sence due to aircraft speed - air moving the fan.But in that case, both thrust levelers are donwn at completly idle but reverses won't start until i hit F1 to cut the N1 down to 24%.Any idaes how to overcome it?Thanks,Sagi.

Correct operation. There are different idle speeds and you are seeing the approach idle. There are many threads on this topic.

Matt Cee

Perhaps I am wrong, but to clarify what he seems to be asking...If you brought the throttles to flight idle for the flare, then how come he needs to press F1 again once he touches down in order to deploy reverse thrust. While the N1 for idle differs based on configuration/situation (altitude, wheels down/up, on ground, etc), the physical position of the throttle levers is the same in all these positions.Interestingly, I don't have this issue. I have the Saitek throttle quadrant and bring the throttles to idle in the flare. The "reverser" button is programmed to press and hold F2 and when released press F1 (buttons are assigned through FSUIPC, axes through FSX). I never need to press F1 in this setup until I am ready to come out of reverse.What I would like is an easier way to obtain "idle reverse" that most airlines use. It's not real clear when while pressing F2 the reversers are deployed.Eric Szczesniak

Eric Szczesniak

I have the same issue. I have the saitek joystick and returing my throttles to idle also does not allow the reverse thrust to activate, but I will say in a timely manner instead of at all. If i wait for 30 ft for idle thrust it seems to take a second once I am on the ground for the engs. to spool down enough for reverse, however I have found that if I cross the threshold/idle at 50ft, there is no change in my flare or approach and by the time I reach the ground the engines have spooled down enough to activate reversers immediatly after touch down. I don't think its a bug, it just seems to be a lull in the time it takes for the engines to completely go idle.DAN

I have opened a ticket on this exact issue before SP1...it's taking 3-5 seconds after touchdown even with pressing F1 a couple time to get the flight idle to ground idle causing delays getting the reversers to operate. This becomes a problem on shorter fields, by the time you get the reversers engaged and powered up, it's about 10 seconds after touchdown in my case.The response was there is some coding voodoo im place as FSX can't do a flight and ground idle. This voodoo seems to take far too long to release hold on the throttle idle.I am still digging out of the mud at the end of a 6000 foot runway :)Hopefully a fix or workaround can be done. ***UPDATE*** I am told by PMDG support the delay is intentional, according to Boing it's 5 seconds after gear touchdown to go from flight to ground idle, 2 seconds with the SFP option. Makes the shorter field landings more challenging.Rob.

@ESzczesniakOn my Saitek HOTAS I use one of the hat switches on the throttle to simulate the reverse levers. For variable to full reverse I use the pull "back" position. This presses F1, with about a two second delay after for the reverser unlock, then repeating F2 while I hold the hat in that position. The F2 has a reasonable delay, something like 0.04s between presses. This allows me to more or less get the desired amount of reverse power. Pushing "down" will do a simple F1-F2 pair for "idle reverse". A push to the left or right returns to idle (i.e. F1). It has worked well for me on the NGX, J4100 and MD-11. It allows me to go full reverse to idle reverse until the engine spools down, then idle. This prevents the normal "surge" in forward thrust from cutting full reverse to flight idle.The 2-way switches on the quadrant could do something similar to this, have one direction for variable reverse, the other for idle reverse and maybe simply move the throttle to return to idle.Wouldn't it be grand to have an assignable reverser-axis though :(-Bryant Martin

FSUIPC can assign and map reverser axis...then map reversers to throttles 3 & 4 on the CH throttle (6 lever) quadrant in <rev>...reverser throttles (CH levers 3 & 4) are at idle in the forward position then graduated to full reverse as you retard axis CH 3 & 4 to idle. After main gear down, throttle at ground idle, I pour on the reversers using reverser-throttles (CH throttle levers 3 & 4 moving back from rev-idle to full reverse), then back to a hair before forward position for rev-idle, then disengage reversers with full forward for ground idle.Clear as mud?Rob.