Sign in to follow this  
Simmo W

PMDG and Xplane

That is a great video of nighttime flying around the airport.Regarding advanced jets (PMDG or others), if the user base/market gets big enough, someone would produce something. I think the user base number will depend on initial impressions from the demo and first release (good press or bad press), if MS Flight will be limited to Hawaii, and subsequent XP10 releases to improve the title.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

You need to listen to what's being said, once you're over the visuals. No certainties though, and it'd take en awhile to port.

You need to listen to what's being said, once you're over the visuals. No certainties though, and it'd take en awhile to port.
Don't know how I missed that the first time I watched it! It still though doesn't sound like a statement from PMDG, rather Aerosoft, which with them moving towards X-Plane would have a big interest in PMDG developing it. I don't see it happening though, as one of the main reasons they weren't developing for X-Plane still hasn't changed. That is the update methodology Austin uses. To PMDG this creates an unstable development environment for them.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Does anybody else think that all the videos and screens shown have too much grass and lawn showing? I searched for this topic but it doesn't seem to have come up. Even in some of the more suburban screen shots there is a lot of grass showing up however if you were to fly in real-life over one of these areas I am sure the chances of seeing large areas of grass are slim (unless of of course you are over a park).Rich

Does anybody else think that all the videos and screens shown have too much grass and lawn showing? I searched for this topic but it doesn't seem to have come up. Even in some of the more suburban screen shots there is a lot of grass showing up however if you were to fly in real-life over one of these areas I am sure the chances of seeing large areas of grass are slim (unless of of course you are over a park).Rich
Really? It looks fine to me ! It's not perfect but I think your tad to finicky. Lets a remember its a work in progress and its a small team with limited resources.If your looking for perfection I think you will have to wait till ORBX or somebody comes along and starts doing thier magic !The global lighting in its self is revolutionary !

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

Does anybody else think that all the videos and screens shown have too much grass and lawn showing
X-Plane has rendering settings to adjust the density of many items, including trees and buildings....and the settings were turned down in the video for situational reasons...i.e. the primary demo machine had an issue and the demo was done on a lower end backup machine. You can turn these settings up so you get more density like in real life but be prepared for the sim to run slower....and this isn't an x-plane phenomenon, it's a computer thing....more stuff = more computer power.-Tom Kyler

X-Plane has rendering settings to adjust the density of many items, including trees and buildings....
What I fear about this new "bottom-up" approach of city building (that otherwise seems to be a good idea), is that a lot of people, especially those who want higher FPS, will get too much green&grass in urban areas. Wouldn't it be possible to use a generic urban base texture instead of grass for urban landclass?Marco

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

What I fear about this new "bottom-up" approach of city building (that otherwise seems to be a good idea), is that a lot of people, especially those who want higher FPS, will get too much green&grass in urban areas. Wouldn't it be possible to use a generic urban base texture instead of grass for urban landclass?Marco
That is exactly my point Marco, what is going to be underneath these areas if I fly on medium settings?
Really? It looks fine to me ! It's not perfect but I think your tad to finicky.
And no Strider I do not think I am "finicky" I am merely worried that cities are gonna have big patches of grass where there should be parking lots or other generic surfaces other than grass. If thats a stupid thing to be thinking about then I apologise for being finicky.Rich

Rich, you're definitely not being finicky...only expressing your preference. What you'll see on medium settings IS more grass; however, I think this can be adjusted by 3rd party by changing the textures....I can't say I've ever dealt with landclass stuff though so I'm not sure just how to go about it. When the time comes, perhaps there will be some replacement pack by the community for those who prefer the look you want.Regarding why its grass now though....We are dealing with human preference here and if two people have opposing preferences, then there is no way both can be satisfied. For example, there is no way you'll get parking lots accurately placed using a autogen texture...ok, no problem...I"m pretty sure people don't expect that...but then they WILL get parking lots (and probably a bit blurry too) where they don't want them also...so which do you choose to go with? Well, as the developers, we choose the ones we like because we're making the best kind of sim we like as simmers ourselves...and those that share (or tolerate) our preferences are welcome to join in. I can guarantee at Laminar, we're not out to please everybody because it's impossible. As much as we like x-plane, we know it's not for everybody.In the V10 presentation in Amsterdam, Austin let it be known that he really dislikes low resolution "orthophotoish" of any type used as ground textures....and I myself happen to share that preference. I'd rather seen "clean grass" than low resolution approximation of some ground effect. It is just as easy to say that "too much grass" isn't real the same way it is to say that "a too blurry parking lot" isn't real....or a parking lot in the wrong spot...that's not real either. What each of us perceive as "more real" is different for each of us so it's simply a case of po-tay-toh / po-tah-toh and unfortunately, some people will not get their itch scratched.

I was just thinking something along the lines of, put some generic concrete-ish texture rather than some generic grass-ish texture in urban areas. :)

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]