Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

magnetite

Moving directories onto another drive?

I know you can have FSX on a different drive rather than your OS drive, but how do you point a single directory to another drive?I was wanting to move my textures and a few other things onto a RAM disk. In the FSX.cfg file I'm only seeing a place where you can move the SimObjects folder and not the Texture or a few other folders I wanted to move. As you know RAM is much faster than a hard drive at reading or writing, so I figured I would try and make use of it.

If you would like to move scenery, you've got to edit the scenery.cfg file.Scenery and texture files can be loaded from any drive on your system.

I know you can have FSX on a different drive rather than your OS drive, but how do you point a single directory to another drive?I was wanting to move my textures and a few other things onto a RAM disk. In the FSX.cfg file I'm only seeing a place where you can move the SimObjects folder and not the Texture or a few other folders I wanted to move. As you know RAM is much faster than a hard drive at reading or writing, so I figured I would try and make use of it.
I've already done that, it's of no practical use, given you have fsx on an ssd. If you insist I will explain how to do it.

Normally you could use a junction link, though I'm not sure how/if that would work with a RAM disk. But since the OS will memory map files into unused RAM anyway, I'm not sure this approach will accomplish much.scott s..