Sign in to follow this  
Daniel choen

Very weird problem at crosswind?

I may have misunderstood, but it sounds like Daniel is overcorrecting for the wind. Best way to practice I think would be by using the hgs. You learn by seeing the correct way, so use the hgs to do some proper crosswind landings only don't just focus on the hgs display. Watch the runway orientation and approach angles closely and after a few successful landings with different wind speeds/directions you'll be able to recognize/execute a good crosswind approach.@wonderlichtI think the confusion is your use of "into the wind." That means pointing the direction it's coming from, not where it's headed. If the wind is coming from the left then you'd go left to turn into the wind. To the right (in this case) would be called "with the wind."

The plane, automatically? I would if I could, but then I'll end up being pushed off the runway by the backwards wind.
Maybe we should try to post a screenshot as Bryan suggested... I think we are getting confused because I am talking about in the air as the OP was, and I think you are talking about the takeoff/landing roll...
I may have misunderstood, but it sounds like Daniel is overcorrecting for the wind. Best way to practice I think would be by using the hgs. You learn by seeing the correct way, so use the hgs to do some proper crosswind landings only don't just focus on the hgs display. Watch the runway orientation and approach angles closely and after a few successful landings with different wind speeds/directions you'll be able to recognize/execute a good crosswind approach.@wonderlichtI think the confusion is your use of "into the wind." That means pointing the direction it's coming from, not where it's headed. If the wind is coming from the left then you'd go left to turn into the wind. To the right (in this case) would be called "with the wind."
Exactly!

Thanks!
Nick Crate
Chief Executive Officer
FedEx Virtual Air Cargo

ok... got home from work. Here are the screenshots. I don't know if you'll believe me, I was hoping the winds would show on the ND but it didn't. So two tests. Lined up at KSFO. No weather except winds. No controls except for F3 to 40% and then autothrottle. 1. Winds 11/16 2. Winds 193/16I don't use any controls. Set up the FMS for V speeds and such. Just let it go...So if we talk through it. The first scenario has the winds from the north, which should push my plane south, or to the left. I should have to correct this by inputting to the right to counter. Again, I used no controls to counter to show effect.Starting up and positioned from the Start Menu for runway 28LStart.jpgAbout 10 seconds later, at 75ktsright.jpgNow, 2nd scenario... winds out of the south pushing north, I should go right.start2.jpgAbout 10 seconds later... 74 knotsleft.jpgTheories??? Comments??? Can anyone else test this for validity???I'm not sure about weather vaning... I don't fly big guys, but in cessnas, they tend to go "with" the wind so you have to correct into the wind as it tries to push the plane away with it. But even in FSX the cessnas will still start trying to point themselves into the wind. I'm saying that this is a PMDG thing.

At low speeds, your Vertical stabilizer acts like a weather vane and will turn you into the wind. It acts against the friction of your tires, which are farther forward.Edit: Nick beat me to it, but maybe with both poss together the idea will be complete. This is a normal effect during takeoff and landing (after your main gear touches down)Edit2: Also remember that cessna are extremely light and high-wing to boot. Wind doesn't affect then the same way it does a huge low-wing

During approach you'll rudder into the wind so you're crabbing onto the runway & then straighten up just before the main gear touches down. After touchdown you'll then have to apply opposite rudder (with the wind) to control the weathervaning. Which way you rudder is entirely dependent on whether or not your tires are touching the ground.

OK... I guess I'll have to go with it.I'll have to test the approach next.
Same thing applies with approach- just remember that when you are in larger aircraft, you'll want to kick the nose around with the rudder when you are around 10-20 feet to get the gear straight on touchdown. FSX has a poor model of friction, so it's not nearly as bad if you don't do this as it would be in real-world. There was a FedEx MD-11 a while back that did not straighten the aircraft, and the gear collapsed.EDIT: Ken beat me LOL.gifEDIT 2: Here is that FedEx MD-11 crash- you can see the consequences of not straightening her up! (In flightsim, you would just slide across the runway because the friction model is crap.)http://www.metacafe....ight_647_crash/

Thanks!
Nick Crate
Chief Executive Officer
FedEx Virtual Air Cargo

Hey, to all of you thanks!!! for the helpful replays,i am doing the crosswind approach 1000% right, a student pilot taught me how, still have tis problem, thanks anyway to all of you!, Daniel

For me it's most evident when during T/O....Say you're lined up on a runway 27... the wind is 315@whatever... as soon as the speed kicks up the plane is turning right, not left as it should.I have the latest FSUIPC and its registered.
Nose pointing 270, wind coming from 315: so the wind is coming from the right.Since the ACFT will tend to turn into the wind, it will turn right.Wait, that is what you see, so perfectly normal, you lucky one!!Bert Van Bulck

Nose pointing 270, wind coming from 315: so the wind is coming from the right.Since the ACFT will tend to turn into the wind, it will turn right.Wait, that is what you see, so perfectly normal, you lucky one!!Bert Van Bulck
i have tested that again 200/19kts, runway 26 and the aircraft turned with the wind, now i know i should turn the nose to the wind but when i am doing it the plane slipping aside from the runway

Hey guys, please helps me with that one, when i am on runway for takeoff, the plane is not even move into the direction of the wind or against it,, i mean the wind is not affecting. when coming to approach, i get the noise point to the wind but when passin 4dme the direction of the nose changing to with the wind, what to do i am i not checking some thing on the fsx settings on the ngx settings? please help!! Daniel

During approach you'll rudder into the wind so you're crabbing onto the runway & then straighten up just before the main gear touches down.
You don't really crab with the rudder. You crab by banking and then turning, and de-crab with the rudder.

Matt Cee

You don't really crab with the rudder. You crab by banking and then turning, and de-crab with the rudder.
I know how to crab. I said it that way because banking into the wind implies you want to slip.

i have tested that again 200/19kts, runway 26 and the aircraft turned with the wind, now i know i should turn the nose to the wind but when i am doing it the plane slipping aside from the runway
What was the aircraft's heading?

Thanks!
Nick Crate
Chief Executive Officer
FedEx Virtual Air Cargo