Sign in to follow this  
MM7

New rig...

Exactly what i said! Maybe my sentence was not clear, but i was talking about the GPU MEMORY! Some people also encountered some troubles with 12Gigs of memory(which is way too much for FSX though). My advice is a GTX 580 1,5G and 8Go memory.
I have 16 GB of memory, but I use that when in programs multitasking and also usingPhotoshop.Never been a prob for me in FSX either, but there I only have one GTX 580 with 1,5GB and not an 3GB GPU/ Leffe

Stock voltage and 4.7GHz, huh? Interesting... Are you sure your voltage isn't on "Auto"?Of course you also said "FSX with NGX and 777, 747 and MD11 with at least on addon scen. at Gatwick" at 50FPS. Extreme hyperbole?
yes it's auto, one of the great benefits of these new processors which kick down the voltage...i just set the upper parameter.Here's my $.02- can you damage a CPU from OC'ing??? Yes but it's exceedingly rare with all of the internal thermal protection, etc. These cores are designed to 100C at least (not that you would ever want to go there)What is more likely to happen is you will degrade it over time...but unlike the old days (old days being like 2 yrs ago) you don't have to have the OC on full time. It will kick it down unless under load (as I type this i'm at 1.04V and 1.6Ghz). Hence now the life is extended even more which will greatly exceed the usefulness of the processor as we double speeds every 12-18 months.So it's not risk free but the reward out weighs the risk greatly imoI have the gatewick scenery so I need to check it but i can tell you at UK2000 heathrow extreme which is a FPS killer i get at least 30-40 looking out of the VC with the sliders mostly to the right.

yes it's auto, one of the great benefits of these new processors which kick down the voltage...i just set the upper parameter.
Okay. So we understand "Auto" is by no means stock. Also sounds more like you're using offset mode.And 50FPS at the add on Gatwick in the NGX is a pipe dream at this point, unfortunately.I don't want newbies being mislead by false statements, is all! The OP sure would be disappointed when the NGX with full scenery at KSEA bogged his shiny new 2700k down. At least if he wasn't warned the above is not the case.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Okay. So we understand "Auto" is by no means stock. Also sounds more like you're using offset mode.And 50FPS at the add on Gatwick in the NGX is a pipe dream at this point, unfortunately.I don't want newbies being mislead by false statements, is all! The OP sure would be disappointed when the NGX with full scenery at KSEA bogged his shiny new 2700k down. At least if he wasn't warned the above is not the case.
not sure what's the false statement.

FSX + a bunch of addons never overtake 3-3.5 GB RAM occupancy.I wonder what the remaining 13 GB have been bought for ?

FSX + a bunch of addons never overtake 3-3.5 GB RAM occupancy.I wonder what the remaining 13 GB have been bought for ?
They could be used when using multitasking, photoshop, video editing and a lot more.There is a life without FSX also if you didn´t knew. (I have 16 GB)/ Leffe

They could be used when using multitasking, photoshop, video editing and a lot more.There is a life without FSX also if you didn´t knew. (I have 16 GB)/ Leffe
In this case you would be right but the thread starter stated " Gaming RAM ".Unless he plays simultaneously 7-8 games the extra RAM for gaming only is wasted.I simply read words, did you do the same ?

Just ran this test using gatwick extreme...in the rain no less. Looking towards the airport from the VC as I lift off...was pretty much the hardest on the system. Looking straight down the runway i was around 50-60.gatwickextreme.jpg

In this case you would be right but the thread starter stated " Gaming RAM ".Unless he plays simultaneously 7-8 games the extra RAM for gaming only is wasted.I simply read words, did you do the same ?
Ok, then you are right off course, (didn´t notice that in his specs). If he only use FSX, then it would be ok with some 4 to 6GBBut there are so many wondering, why some have 8-12 or even 16 GB when they don´tknow what they really are used for./ Leffe

not sure what's the false statement.
You may want to check what your mobo is setting for Vcore. Auto means whatever the board decides, which is often way more Vcore than you need.On a side note, the OP said he is getting 3 monitors, so he needs SLI (or an AMD card to take advantage of Eyefinity, or TripleHead2Go)Not sure if 3GB is preferred for those resolutions over 1.5GB

You may want to check what your mobo is setting for Vcore. Auto means whatever the board decides, which is often way more Vcore than you need.On a side note, the OP said he is getting 3 monitors, so he needs SLI (or an AMD card to take advantage of Eyefinity, or TripleHead2Go)Not sure if 3GB is preferred for those resolutions over 1.5GB
ok so here's what i know... and I'm not an expert in every detail of overclocking by any stretch. In the asus utility I have I set the system bus to 100Mhz and the multiplier to 47. I did not touch whatever voltage setting it had. So it's auto in that it steps down the voltage when the CPU is at idle...not sure why you wouldnt want to have that set. Is the flip side locking in it some other voltage 24/7?anyway, at the end of day if you have decent temps at load then I'm not sure if any of this matters.

ok so here's what i know... and I'm not an expert in every detail of overclocking by any stretch. In the asus utility I have I set the system bus to 100Mhz and the multiplier to 47. I did not touch whatever voltage setting it had. So it's auto in that it steps down the voltage when the CPU is at idle...not sure why you wouldnt want to have that set. Is the flip side locking in it some other voltage 24/7?anyway, at the end of day if you have decent temps at load then I'm not sure if any of this matters.
Auto allows the mootherboard to set voltage as it see's fit (that's why I wouldn't have that set). It's not the best thing to use when overclocking, and I challenge you to read up more on your Bios's features.Did you ever check the voltages through CPU-Z that are being pumped through your CPU under load? I hope so.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Auto allows the mobo to set voltage as it see's fit. Did you ever check the voltages through CPU-Z that are being pumped through your CPU under load? I hope so.
yeah..that's how i knew i was at 1.04V