Sign in to follow this  
stevenp

CS 737

Hi Avsim Reviewers,There is one little issue on your review of this bird. You all say that the fan blades don't move, but they aren't supposed to move because there isn't a fan on these turbines like you would expect on other planes. Just thought I let you know because these old jt8s are not exactly turbofans.

Hi Avsim Reviewers,There is one little issue on your review of this bird. You all say that the fan blades don't move, but they aren't supposed to move because there isn't a fan on these turbines like you would expect on other planes. Just thought I let you know because these old jt8s are not exactly turbofans.
Your part right, you can't normally see the engine fan spin up because the fan blades are deeper within engine cowling and not readily visible from the outside. The JT8D engine though is a Turbofan engine.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pratt_%26_Whitney_JT8D

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Haha wow. I'm impressed that it's a turbofan engine. A bypass ratio of 0.96 to 1? However that can be argued. The fan is considered part of the lpc as it is part of the first 6 stages of the compressor unless it is saying that the fan is run by the first two stages of the lpc which doesn't make any sense as it is connected by the low speed shaft throughout. However the air is still ducted out behind the fan. Probably for noise issues as this would give too much loss otherwise. Engines have come a LONG way since then. WOW!

When I did the Aerosim Classic Liners Vol. 1 review, I stumbl;ed over the very same thing, so I'm not surprised at all that you made the same mistake! However, I saw my error before I sent it to Robert, so it ended up correctly in the final version. But I agree, it always seems like it doesn't move, because there are static fan blades at the engine's inlet. The actual movement is further inside the engine, as Tom explains.

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

When I did the Aerosim Classic Liners Vol. 1 review, I stumbl;ed over the very same thing, so I'm not surprised at all that you made the same mistake! However, I saw my error before I sent it to Robert, so it ended up correctly in the final version. But I agree, it always seems like it doesn't move, because there are static fan blades at the engine's inlet. The actual movement is further inside the engine, as Tom explains.
Thanks, atleast I don't know I was the only one who made that mistake.Aaron G. :)