Sign in to follow this  
Charlie Chew

3-D glasses options for X-Plane 10

FSX with NVidia 3D glasses is just stunning, unfortunately not possible with in xplane using openGL instead of the world-wide standard DirectX API in gaming. But then, you get to fly xplane under LINUX and Android. now isn't that something.Yawn.gif
xplane was a success story on the iphone platform, without it LR would have a lot less $$ in the bank account. The alternative is that they could have let a few users wear their glasses while they play, which do you think is more beneficial to the platform.. Full interview here: http://forums.x-plane.org/ Choice quotes: "Question: Austin, it's been about a year since the launch of version 9. What are your overall feelings about 2008? Are the sales where you expected them to be, is the product at the technical level you wanted it to be? Austin: 2008, for me, kicked butt. Lots and lots of Butt. Why? Simple reason: IPHONE. Iphone sales of X-Plane have been strong (I hit #3 in the world.. and #19 in the world with X-Plane Airliner). As well, ever since I came out with the iphone version of X-Plane, sales at X-Plane.com of the desktop version have been up by 400%. So, people buy X-Plane for the iphone, and then a lot of them buy the full version... enough to quadruple my sales. Now we are really starting to get some noticeable amount of market share."

the day an iphone/Android can compete and run flight simulation at 30 FPS complete with AI, ATC, cloud shadows, 100 GB scenery etc, I will run and get one. a toy that runs on an iPad does not make a full fledged simulator, just because it is called "x-plane for iPhone."I bet PacMan sold even better on the iPhone.

the day an iphone/Android can compete and run a flight simulation at 30 FPS with AI, ATC, cloud shadows, 100 GB scenery etc, I will run and get one. a toy that runs on an iPad does not make a full fledged simulator, just because it is called "x-plane for iPhone."I bet PacMan sold even better on the iPhone.
Obviously, X Plane isn't for you due to the lack of 3D that you can find in FSX.By all means, stick with your flight sim of choice and enjoy yourself. Austin Meyer, X Planes author, has been programming X Plane since the early 90's on a Mac using OpenGL. Asking him to suddenly switch to DirectX, after 18-19 years of programming with OpenGL on a Mac is asking too much of, not just him, but anyone.

the day an iphone/Android can compete and run flight simulation at 30 FPS complete with AI, ATC, cloud shadows, 100 GB scenery etc, I will run and get one. a toy that runs on an iPad does not make a full fledged simulator, just because it is called "x-plane for iPhone."I bet PacMan sold even better on the iPhone.
I don't know how it runs but you yawn at it and it has brought in millions of $$ which helps xplane get better. At the expense of what? A handful of people that use 3d glasses? Please, I understand your frustration that it's not working for you but the pro's have outweighed the cons on this one.

I use and enjoy diffferent aspects in both, fsx AND Xplane10. as long as each new version brings considerable improvements over the previous version I am a happy camper. I do enjoy the new night lighting and several other aspects in xplane10, but I still criticize its flight model, ATC etc - among other aspects.I don't participate in feature or OS/platform wars, I am cherry picking and try to use the best of both worlds.

wrong, I use and enjoy diffferent aspects of both sims. as long as each new version brings considerable improvements over the previous version I am a happy camper. I do enjoy the new night lighting and much more in xplane10, but I still criticize its flight model, ATC etc - among other aspects.
The tone of your post, found here...http://forum.avsim.net/topic/356202-3-d-glasses-options-for-x-plane-10/page__view__findpost__p__2188946suggests you came in here just to troll.Usually the ones who criticize the flight model are the same ones who never venture out of the default aircraft area.You'll find the majority of the x plane community actually prefer the X Plane flight model. Just like the various aircraft corporations that have had aircraft built for x plane to perform flight tests.

Who let the DOG out!

"It's ALL about Flying"

i7-9700k @5ghz | 32gb Gskill Ripjaw 5 DDR4 3000 | Nvidia RTX 4080 | W10 Pro | Samsung 32" 4K TV 

Who let the DOG out!
+1It was actually quite pleasant around here for about a day.

the floor is all yours,not interested in communicating any further with users who can not accept different opinions but prefer to discredit.have a nice flight.

the floor is all yours,not interested in communicating any further with users who can not accept different opinions but prefer to discredit.have a nice flight.
We accept criticisms and opinions. We just don't appreciate the tone they are delivered in by people such as yourself.Thanks!You have a nice flight, too and all the best!

Gosh Goran!These people gather around you. Do you always attract crowds like this? LOL :-)

Gosh Goran!These people gather around you. Do you always attract crowds like this? LOL :-)
Apparently. I think it's my magnetic personality!Part of it must be due to the fact I was captain of my high school debating team. Whistle.gifIt's actually funny that most people who I have engaged in arguments with me here on avsim have totally changed their opinion about me after we have a one on one in PM or Skype. After that, they actually see where I'm coming from and why I say the things I say.Just have a look at this...http://forum.avsim.n...ost__p__2187099

I have some experience programming 3D graphics using both OpenGL and DirectX. I would argue that both OpenGL and DirectX are "standards", but OpenGL is cross-platform whereas DirectX is Windows only (as has already been stated). OpenGL has been around a lot longer than DirectX as well. I'd have to agree that DirectX is not an option for X-Plane simply because Laminar writes most of their code on Macs and they support iOS, Linux, and Windows. Both OpenGL and DirectX (specifically the Direct3D component of DirectX) are relatively easy to write code for once you know what you're doing. There are a lot of similiaries but there are also differences.Personally I'm a huge fan of DirectX, but I recognize it is the wrong choice for X-Plane. The thing I really like most about DirectX is that it is a suite of API components. It doesn't just encompas 3D rendering. There's also DirectInput for building joystick support, DirectSound for audio, and a few other things. I wish all games that used DirectX used DirectInput. (I'm looking at you, Battlefield 3!) DirectInput makes it really easy to enumerate any and ALL of your game controllers and allow you to use them in your games. You'll notice that X-Plane supports a lot of controllers, but it has a finite limit to how many axes you can have. (Granted it is a lot of axis...) Games that utilize DirectPlay usually have no such limit. If you 100 controllers hooked up, all 100 controllers can usually be used at the same time. Games like Battlefield 3 didn't do this properly... They only allow you to use the FIRST controller that enumerates in your sytem, with no ability to talk to any of the other controllers.Okay, I forgot why I even started this reply. Sorry for going off on a tangent. Anyway, the reason X-Plane will always be OpenGL is simply because they target other platforms in addition to DirectX. There are no other good alternative API options to use if you want to do cross-platform support easily.

I have some experience programming 3D graphics using both OpenGL and DirectX. I would argue that both OpenGL and DirectX are "standards", but OpenGL is cross-platform whereas DirectX is Windows only (as has already been stated). OpenGL has been around a lot longer than DirectX as well. I'd have to agree that DirectX is not an option for X-Plane simply because Laminar writes most of their code on Macs and they support iOS, Linux, and Windows. Both OpenGL and DirectX (specifically the Direct3D component of DirectX) are relatively easy to write code for once you know what you're doing. There are a lot of similiaries but there are also differences.Personally I'm a huge fan of DirectX, but I recognize it is the wrong choice for X-Plane. The thing I really like most about DirectX is that it is a suite of API components. It doesn't just encompas 3D rendering. There's also DirectInput for building joystick support, DirectSound for audio, and a few other things. I wish all games that used DirectX used DirectInput. (I'm looking at you, Battlefield 3!) DirectInput makes it really easy to enumerate any and ALL of your game controllers and allow you to use them in your games. You'll notice that X-Plane supports a lot of controllers, but it has a finite limit to how many axes you can have. (Granted it is a lot of axis...) Games that utilize DirectPlay usually have no such limit. If you 100 controllers hooked up, all 100 controllers can usually be used at the same time. Games like Battlefield 3 didn't do this properly... They only allow you to use the FIRST controller that enumerates in your sytem, with no ability to talk to any of the other controllers.Okay, I forgot why I even started this reply. Sorry for going off on a tangent. Anyway, the reason X-Plane will always be OpenGL is simply because they target other platforms in addition to DirectX. There are no other good alternative API options to use if you want to do cross-platform support easily.
Thank you, quite well explained.