I'm suffering from single digit frame rate when in overcast conditions. There's a stratus layer above me, and when it's in view, my FPS are dropping to <8FPS. Any tips on what it is I have screwed up are welcome.I have a max of 5 layers active. 4096 textures installed.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Shall I submit a ticket? FSX in conjunction is unflyable at present when in this weather.
I would Zach.

Chris Howard

Just a little update. It would seem I'm expecting too much out of my hardware. Running the 32bit 4096x textures with broken to overcast brings my GPU to it's knees. Running 32bit 1024x gives much better results.Tips are still welcome. I would hope a GTX 560 could handle the clouds.I'm using Nhancer with 16Qx AA and 8xSS

___________________________________________________________________________________

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Yeah i must say with similar specs i run in 32bit 1024x with no problems whatsoever, when i crank them up the stutters start so i leave them be for now!

Chris Howard

No thank you. I'd much rather have no jaggies and 1024 clouds.
I thought most people used inspector now....

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

You are doing something wrong if you tried my settings and see jaggies, I can assure you I do not see any. And yes Inspector is the way to go.

Cheers, Andy.

I thought most people used inspector now....
I do....TYPO. Thanks for clearing that up.
You are doing something wrong if you tried my settings and see jaggies, I can assure you I do not see any. And yes Inspector is the way to go.
If by "doing something wrong" you mean my hardware or taste may differ from yours, why yes, I'm doing something wrong. As a beta tester, I would expect you to keep in mind that visuals and their quality is subjective. I see jaggies with your settings. Apparently you're okay with them, but I am not! Thanks for the tips either wayOh yeah, btw. I've been playing around with this mode: AA_MODE_METHOD_SUPERVCAA_64X_4v12 So far it's providing great, great performance with superb IQ when not in heavy clouds. Otherwise it's lower settings for me!

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

I had the same issue with my 580 card and I7 2600K 4.2 processor. I changed from 32bit to DXT5 textures still at 4096 and frame rates at FSDT KDFW in overcast went from 15 -25.See if this helps at all.

Sean Green

Sean Green, is there any noticable difference in IQ between 32 bit and DXT5 cloud textures?

None that I can discern. Just flew katl to klas in the ngx and over severe overcast. Storms moving through the Midwest us, looked just as good as32 bit. I'm happy with 4096 at dxt5 the 32 bit would just kill the fps.

Sean Green

The best things is to test for which lookperformance is good for you, DXT5 is almost half memory consuming compare to 32 bit on all resolution, so with many layers you will see difference on performance.These might be good for all around situation, DXT5 40962048 or 2048 32 bit, but this is really depend on your fsx slidersetupaddonssystem.

Kind Regards
Chris Willis