Sign in to follow this  
DOGANG KIM

Is this bug? "SINGLE CH"(Not LAND 3) is able to full auto landing!

The autopilot of the NG series has the flare coded into each channel, so, it is able to do it alone.However, flare will be not indicated and pilot MUST disengage the AP... this means that the aircraft will do if you let it does, but you are not allowed to do by regulations.Search on the forum, I posted the part of the aircraft manual wic contains the explanation.

Regards

Andrea Daviero

If a Land 2 condition exists and below 100' RA, an increment of nose-up trim is automatically applied for the flare. If the A/Ps are subsequently disengaged in the approach, a forward control force (20-30lbs) is required to counter this automatic trim condition. It is automatically removed if a multi A/P GA is initiated.Bert Van BUlck

http://www.youtube.c...=ko_KR&hd=1Here. I did uproad it.
It touched down well beyond the TDZ. Can you next try a full autoland and see where it touches?Bert Van Bulck

It touched down well beyond the TDZ. Can you next try a full autoland and see where it touches?
Yeah and the landing speed seemed to be quite high as well.

Yeah and the landing speed seemed to be quite high as well.
Maybe it was only a test as the fuel tanks are near to the full.

Regards

Andrea Daviero

Andrea Thank you for actually looking at what happened (and for explaining)Others, give the guy a break. Even Fred is error-prone and this (while not the best technique, to slow down under 1000ft - unstable approach in my book) but it definitely WAS an AUTOLAND with FLARE. NOT a default "autoland".Fred, I would be curious, how exactly is FAIL OP option number relevant to this discussion?

Fred, I would be curious, how exactly is FAIL OP option number relevant to this discussion?
Out of curiosity: what does a RWY need to be FAIL OP capable? Any link to that?
Nail%20Biting.gif

Matt Cee

Fred,Out of curiosity: what does a RWY need to be FAIL OP capable? Any link to that?Bert Van Bulck
Hi Bert.I have some very interesting documents from Boeing but would not be allowed to post them here due to license agreements etc.I am however allowed to post pics etc. from the Boeing 737 CBT because I have a special education/training license agreement with Boeing.You might have seen such pics already in the "Waypoints" and "Holding" tutorials.This is just a link to a wikepedia article but has very interesting info about the whole "autoland" development.It is well worth reading and has a lot of stuff that is in the Boeing docs too. (BLEU and its origins in the U.K.)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AutolandFred.

I just had the same thing happen to me. PFD was showing Single CH the whole way down and then if I remember correctly, it just dissapeared... After reading this thread, and Fred's wiki post, I saw that it IS possible but not legal I guess?

The autopilot has the landing knowledge with only a single ch app, the rudders can in any case only use one system at a time. But this is flightworld! The second channel is used for quality. The idea is that a system (the plane isn't in the same place in the CMD A and CMD B:s calculations, etc.) or human (faulty ILS freq, etc.) fault will cause a go-around error. It is impossible to have this survaillence with only one CMD activated.