Sign in to follow this  
Geofa

Fyi-PlanG and Xplane-great way to explore

Thanks Geof, didn't even know this existed.Glen

Gigabyte z590 UD - i5 11600k 4.9 GHz - 64gb 3600 MHz ram - RTX 3070 ti - multiple ssd - 34" 3440x1440 100 Hz Curved - Saitek Yoke Pedals Throttle Quadrant x2 - TM T16000m x2 Throttle - Win 11 Pro

As a "dual" user of both FSX and X-Plane 9/10, I was delighted to find the XPUIPC link. This enables connection between X-Plane and any one of a number of FS9/X moving maps. I use Plan-G for "low and slow" flying, and FS Commander 9.1 for IFR commercial flying. I suspect there are other programs that will work via the XPUIPC interface - Radar Contact comes to mind though I haven't tried it yet, but that's asking for a lot.

If it doesn't already (and the guy making the XPUIPC module asked for ANY offsets not implemented to be given to him as a list and he would work on getting it working), there is a Offset Development Kit (a pdf that tells you how to put in different settings in the configuration file) that will allow you to create the offsets needed.An offset is basically this:Address of where programs access the dataSize of addressPlace in simulator to find the data - in XP a DataRefType/size of data to be retrieved - to allocate proper memory for getting the dataAny modifications of base data to get it to be in proper format - X Accelleration measured in M/S^2 in XP, but measured in Ft/S^2, you would put in a value that when applied to M/S^2 results in Ft/S^2 so the program requesting the data has the right scale of numbersOnce you know these pieces (and the modifications are sometimes simple to do - google for a conversion between units), putting them in the text file in the proper order is all that is left.Define the dataref so you can use it as a variable ($eng1_mixt):Dataref eng1_mixt sim/flightmodel/engine/ENGN_mixt[0] floatarray<what> <variable name> <data location> <data type>Now define the offset itself, using any datarefs as necessary:Offset 0x0890 UINT16 4 rw $eng1_mixt 16384 * >eng1_mixt @ 16384 /This is in 3 parts:The offset definition: Offset 0x0890 UINT16 4 rwThe READ process: $eng1_mixt 16384 *The WRITE process: >eng1_mixt @ 16384 /This is defining the offset at address 0890 of Type UINT16 with a length of 4 and it's read/write (rw).The read/write processes are kind of backwards as you read them:Read:$eng1_mixt (take the value of dataref eng1_mix: current value of dataref indicated by "$")take 16384multiply the twoNo more operations, so that is the number that will be readWrite:Store a value in eng1_mixt (store value indicated by > before the dataref name)Take the value written to the offset ("@" means value written)Take 16384Divide the twoNo more operations to perform, so store the value in the designated placeThe math is done in assembly-like stack operations. First you define the first number, then the second number, then what to do with them1 2 * means take 1 then 2, then multiply them6 2 * 12 / means take 6 then 2, multiply (=12) then take 12 and divide it into previous value (12/12=1) new value = 1"1 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 + 6 +" is just adding 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 + 6. You're always modifying the last value you've received. At the beginning, you have no values, so it's just empty, so fill the value with the first number you see.

Edited by fvapres

Your conversion of FSUIPC for XPlane is a wonderful thing, but you cannot expect to do it all yourself. The more we as a group can help each other with what we understand, the more we can all bring to the table and make things better as a whole.

I have XPUIPC and client working on the network.What settings did you use in Plan-G options > locations (paths/FSX etc.)?I use Plan-G in FSX a lot I would love to have it working in XPX.ThanksJohn

In case you didn't know-plan-g works very nice with xplane-and a nice way to explore unfamiliar places:Just go to the plan-g website:http://www.tasoftware.co.uk/planG.htmThen get this plugin:http://tosi-online.d...IPC/XPUIPC.htmlRun the fs database in plan g (I think you have to have fs installed).Have fun!
Edited by jfail

I got the plugin that GeofA linked to. Then didn't have to do anything else, I just ran X-Plane 10, made a flight plan in Plan G clicked connect and flew from Oklahoma City to Dallas with Plan G doing almost everything it was supposed to do. The only thing that was missing was my altitude information, but that was probably because I haven't learned how to use it yet. Mostly though everything seems be accomplished by itself. amazing software!!

You did'nt change anything in the Plan-G Options > Locations? If I try it that way I get a connect error from Plan-G. I have not tried it on the Main machine, I am trying it across my network from a client.

You did'nt change anything in the Plan-G Options > Locations? If I try it that way I get a connect error from Plan-G. I have not tried it on the Main machine, I am trying it across my network from a client.
No I didn't change anything, it just found X-Plane by itself I guess. I'm so green with Plan G, I didn't even know it had options :( I just made a basic flight plan, clicked connect and it worked fine. good thing it did, or I probably wouldn't have fooled with it. :(

@Donald - were you running PlanG locally (same machine as xp10) or networked?@jfail - did the widefs client show connected to XP? if not, check your network IPs and ports and try PlanG again once you get wideFS connected...

@Donald - were you running PlanG locally (same machine as xp10) or networked?@jfail - did the widefs client show connected to XP? if not, check your network IPs and ports and try PlanG again once you get wideFS connected...
I wa running locally.

The XPUIPC client showed connected to the server.I have not worked with it for a couple of days, I hope to get back to working on it tomorrow.

v3 of Plan-G will include 'native' X-Plane support (i.e. it will use X-Plane nav data and read/write .fms plan files). Connection will still be via XUIPC, since that works really well right now.@jfail: So long as Plan-G is set to connect via FSUIPC rather than SimConnect, it should just work - there really is nothing else to set.Tim (Plan-G author)

@jfail: So long as Plan-G is set to connect via FSUIPC rather than SimConnect, it should just work - there really is nothing else to set.Tim (Plan-G author)
Thanks Tim. I have not had a chance to get back to it (Health issues with the Wife), I will try on Wednesday.Thinking about it I may very well have screwed up and forgot to remove "simconnect" as the method in Plan-G and reset it to FSUIPC. That would certainly explain it. I'll find out Wednesday. Edited by jfail