Sign in to follow this  
soup501

Lines on wings blurry!

Hey guys, I'm loving the NGX so far! One thing though, I get really OCD about the lines on the wings that always blur when I zoom out to look at the plane in spot view (once I get up to cruise of course...) I've tried playing around with my AA and AF settings but none of the changes I had made seem to make a difference.. I've attached a picture to see if anybody knows of a fix for it! My problem is that they're not solid and kind of flicker around when the camera moves or the plane moves.. small problem, I know, but I'm dying to get it fixed!

Yes, that's what I'm referring to.. I've tried messing around with the video card settings (AF/AA) but to no avail.. I haven't tried changing my resolution though, I might give that a try. :D

Edited by soup501

Yeah it definitely looks like an AA issue to me...Maybe just try not to zoom out too much?

Edited by rnathe

If the model and everything in fsx hasn't got ''fluid'' lines it's the anti aliasing. But if the texture is blurry tgen it could be due to two things: anisotropic filtering or texture resolution in fsx settings.

More AA reduce my FPS to much, but when i look at the Astrojet from McPhat, sharp lines at all zoom levels (i use 8SQ) without any flicker, think this is "mipmaping"?, but not sure!

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg
Markus Frank
Windows 10 64,Intel i7, 32GB RAM
NVidia GTX 1080ti, Prepar3D V4.

Can you tell us what GPU you are using and also any settings in the FSX control panel and in the GPU control panel.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Hey guys, thanks for the responses. I don't think my AA is too low, I actually have AA and AF maxed out but it still does not solve the problem of the blurries! Maybe I'm asking the video card to do too much with so much AA/AF that it doesn't get to it in time to actually fix it?I'm currently using:i5 2500k overclocked at 4.4GHZASUS P8Z68 Motherboardand an EVGA Nvidia GTX 460, overclocked the shader clock to 830 mhz.I just tried reducing the resolution to 1680x1050x16 from 1680x1050x32 but it was the same thing. I'm going to post pictures of all my settings so let me know what you guys think.Also: sorry I had to use flickr to post them, it wouldn't let me post all of them here.. :Dhttp://www.flickr.com/photos/73485781@N07/6641882681/in/photostream/lightbox/Also there's some pictures of the carenado 172N and C337 that are kind of having the same trouble with the lines not being solid, but maybe that's just the aircraft itself..

You are running with the standard CP which is nowhere near as good as Nvidia Inspector. I suggest, and suspect some of the other guys will agree, that you get a copy of Inspector and start using that. Simply do a search, you'll get to it within seconds. This IMO is one of your main problems. I had a GTX470 and like others was never really satisfied with AA and AF. I run a 580 and still not completely happy! These are my setting, so I suggest you follow them apart for trying sparse grid 2x . Either way it should help a load. Let us know how you get on.242J_van_s_settings_good.png

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke

Thanks for those settings, that fixed the wing problem! Now the only thing is the runway jagged-y edges that are bothering me! It's like the same thing with the wings, except on the runway edges, it's not completely solid.. anything that I can turn up or do to kind of calm this problem down?I put a picture on the flickr album!http://www.flickr.com/photos/73485781@N07/6642522719/lightbox/

Edited by soup501

THX Rockliffe,I have, and a lot of other PMDG users , the same problem with dashed lines on the wings while the rest of the plane is perfect ,so we still suspect our friends from pmdg.With your sttings the quality of the wings is raised a little bit again. THXRemmert DekkerVBV058 IVAO

Thanks for those settings, that fixed the wing problem! Now the only thing is the runway jagged-y edges that are bothering me! It's like the same thing with the wings, except on the runway edges, it's not completely solid.. anything that I can turn up or do to kind of calm this problem down?I put a picture on the flickr album!http://www.flickr.co...22719/lightbox/
I can't see any problem in the picture. You need to experiment with some different settings in your inspector CP. Don't touch anythinf except AA mode and Supersampling. The forums are full of guys with different settings and all will work differently with different setups. I suggest you do some searching and try out some alternative settings. Also lock your framnerate at no more than 30. I have mine locked at 25. This will allow you to push the Inspector settings without taking too much away from the CPU
THX Rockliffe,I have, and a lot of other PMDG users , the same problem with dashed lines on the wings while the rest of the plane is perfect ,so we still suspect our friends from pmdg.With your sttings the quality of the wings is raised a little bit again. THXRemmert DekkerVBV058 IVAO
Great, pleased I could help. But like everything in FSX, it's all about trial and error and testing. When testing always, always remember never to make more than one small change at a time. :(.

Howard

You are running with the standard CP which is nowhere near as good as Nvidia Inspector. I suggest, and suspect some of the other guys will agree, that you get a copy of Inspector and start using that. Simply do a search, you'll get to it within seconds. This IMO is one of your main problems. I had a GTX470 and like others was never really satisfied with AA and AF. I run a 580 and still not completely happy! These are my setting, so I suggest you follow them apart for trying sparse grid 2x . Either way it should help a load. Let us know how you get on.242J_van_s_settings_good.png
Howard, do you know if there's something like nvidia inspector for ati cards? Don't say that i must change it, i know this, but i can't on a laptop...

Sure, I had an ATI 5850 for a short time. The equivalent CP comes with the driver setup, it's called Catalyst. I think I am right in saying that it is far superior than it''s nvidia counterpart ie. the default Nvidia CP. If you don't have it simply do a search on Google, it will be a free download from the ATI site anyway.EDIT: looks like Dave was typing away at the same time as me! He 's got the finger on the pulse by the looks of things.

Edited by Rockliffe

Howard