Sign in to follow this  
Buzz313th

Sorry To Ask But I'm Really Curious (Multicrew)

Guest FSMP
The SDK may allow for it, I'm not sure. The biggest issue is creating your own TCP/IP communication protocol that doesn't get flummoxed by routers and firewalls and stuff. Think about a program like Skype that actually manages to get through all those issues that happen with direct connections between two or more computers - it's a staggering amount of work. If someone figured that aspect of it out and then used the SDK to pull data out of the panel and transmit it, yeah it'd probably work.The SDK legal issue has nothing to do with us trying to stop people from making things that would compete with our own plans btw - it's about an actual liability concern for the company where we could be sued if a particular series of events happened, I can't go into the specifics.
I seem to recall reading some time ago, that one of the conditions of using the SDK, was that anything derived, by using the SDK, had to be supllied FREELY to all --- or does that only apply specifically to hardware manufacturer's Device drivers. ?ie If FS2Crew uses the SDK to make an ADDON, then they can still sell that addon as Payware, but if a Joystick manufacturer makes a customized driver for their hardware, using info from the SDK, they cannot charge for it. ?. Edited by FSMP

The SDK may allow for it, I'm not sure. The biggest issue is creating your own TCP/IP communication protocol that doesn't get flummoxed by routers and firewalls and stuff. Think about a program like Skype that actually manages to get through all those issues that happen with direct connections between two or more computers - it's a staggering amount of work. If someone figured that aspect of it out and then used the SDK to pull data out of the panel and transmit it, yeah it'd probably work.The SDK legal issue has nothing to do with us trying to stop people from making things that would compete with our own plans btw - it's about an actual liability concern for the company where we could be sued if a particular series of events happened, I can't go into the specifics.
I hope you'll pull it out guys.

Best regards, Fritz ESSONO

Gents,Clearly multicrew is a desirable feature for many NGX users. I am happy to read Ryan's post, which indicates this feature is still something PMDG would like to incorporate. To date few software developers have been able to implement multicrew in complex packages. There are, of course, a couple notable exceptions. I would love to see multicrew implemented in the NGX- like many of you. I am also, if only in passing, aware of the challenges associated with successful implementation of multicrew features. My hope is that PMDG will continue to explore multicrew moving forward. I would also very much enjoy hearing from other PMDG developers regarding their opinion of the feasibility of future implementation of multicrew- whether for the NGX or future projects. I also realize how difficult it is for these guys to make statements regarding potential product features. If multicrew is a possibility I am confident PMDG are the folks we want working on it.Very excited for the next PMDG products!JW
Dang, I thought Robert wrote that. He always starts with "Gents". :(

Dang, I thought Robert wrote that. He always starts with "Gents".
LOL, I thought he always started with "Captains". blum.gifJB

Robert,fwiw add-ons I used MCC in, always used LAN as a method of connection, that would I suppose alleviate problem with routers and whatnot.Users then can tunnel through the internet with use of programs such as Hamachi.Geoff,that would seem reasonable. Device manufacturers sell hardware, I would consider it unreasonable for them to then charge the user to interface for specific airplane. That should either be included in the price of the device, or left to the user, IMO.

Guest FSMP
Robert,Users then can tunnel through the internet with use of programs such as Hamachi.
"Tunngle" works very well , and is set up to also act as a Community Lobby system Edited by FSMP

Clearly if LSH Maddog managed to did it 4 years ago (and it works really really well) it shouldn't be that hard to sync 2 cockpits at least in a LAN setup.Eric B

Edited by DaedalusX

For a homemade solution, using Jeroen Hoppenbrouer's "Broker" would be a pretty simple solution for transferring variables across a LAN. Just a simple telnet connection - in fact you can pretend to be a real application using the Windows built-in telnet client.