Sign in to follow this  
ohsirus

Too much residential

Still playing around with XP10 and most of my hops start at KORF (Norfolk, VA), one of the things I noticed is that there seems to be lil to no industrial/business areas. Everything appears as a Cul-de-Sac, even all the military bases in the area have homes on them. The piers were the Carriers are located also have homes on them. I know it's still in Beta, or RC1, but does anyone have any insight that the areas might be upgraded in the future? One last gripe for me is that the roads need more variation. The numerous clean grey roads, just don't seem quite right.Just did a flight around the St. Louis Arch, although better than Va it also seems to have too many homes.

The scenery team is aware of these shortcomings. The data is there, but there are not yet 3D models to take advantage of it. These will come at some point in the future.

Check out reply #77 and a bit beyond from the thread that I have included the link for. It discusses downloading OSM for the area(s) that you are interested in. BTW, XP10 was seeded with OSM data for roads, shorelines and rails, but not buildings. This might bring a higher sense of reality for you.http://forum.avsim.net/topic/356184-google-warehouse-buildings-in-xplanescenery-question/page__st__75

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

Check out reply #77 and a bit beyond from the thread that I have included the link for. It discusses downloading OSM for the area(s) that you are interested in. BTW, XP10 was seeded with OSM data for roads, shorelines and rails, but not buildings. This might bring a higher sense of reality for you.http://forum.avsim.n...on/page__st__75
Checked it out and added my area which put a few buildings up, but still nowhere to what I would expect for the area. Saw some links to some 3Gb+ files that cover the entire USA. Are those files what most XPrs run?

Buildings coverage in OSM for USA is very bad, so don't expect too much when using a generator like osm2xp.The only exceptions are boston, and a few other cities.So unless you add buildings in osm yourself, you'll have to wait for improvements to the autogen system from Laminar (they are using roads to place buildings, so the lack of buildings data in osm won't be a problem).Ben

For many european countries, Osm2xp is just fantastic. german cities are very accurate, this is more than plausible... Everybody should fly over german cities and see this once http://osm2xp.com/@Ben: Thanks for providing that great too, the results are hust stunning. I have some questions:Is there also a roadmap to use xp object library instead of opensceneryx? Would this be feasible?What comes next? Improved texture quality or some more fancy lights for global illumination? :Money Eyes:I wish you could bring the results into standard xp10 delivery. Europe is a big market for x-plane, and as long as there is no Autogen miracle, this is the best approach i can imagine. I hope you are in contact with LM or even better Aerosoft.Regards,Heiko

Edited by urthgental

Hi Urthgental,To use a 3D object osm2xp work with objects rules (objects tab), wich are the link beetween an osm tag (key/value like "power=wind") and a 3D object path.So the trick is to find the object path you want to use.Xplane use a library.txt file for its native objects, there should be one for xp10.You can also use you own 3D objects btw, just use the folder where they are into you scenery folder as the path.For xplane10 i'm waiting for scenery dev documentation, to add new features.I also hope Laminar will fix facades bugs soon (roofs texture bugs).About the future, the next version will add the 3D objects exporter (using osm2world) , and a facade set editor.I suck at texturing, it's not my job, so this will let people make their own textures.The concept is you make some textures, then some .Fac files, and you launch the facade set editor, giving him the folder with your files.It will list all .fac files, and let you attach informations for each file:facadeseteditor.pngOsm2xp will then use those informations to use the best facade file for the building it's reading.On the next version osm2xp will only use a few of those informations (commercial/residential/industrial, sloped roof, simple building), but i'll improve that later.Other than that i'm working on making osm2xp an open street map data transformer rather than a xplane autogen generator.XPlane will be an output mode, among others.I'm working a bit on a fsx output, i'm also in contact with fly legacy lead dev, and i will have a look at flight gear someday etc...My goal is to release the source code soon, so if people want to add support for whatever simulator, they can use my tool, it will provide them a graphic interface and some tools to read/write data, they will just have to write the code transforming osm data into their output format.I would also like to restart working on my scenery repository, then someday make a desktop app to download/update scenery from it into xplane.Majority of users don't want to bother with using a tool to generate data, they would rather use an application that inject finished data into xplane in one clic.The only problem is time , it's really hard to find some beetween work and familly :)Maybe when i'll release the source code i'll find others devs to work on it.I think a LOT can be done with openStreetMap data, but it would need more than the few hours a week i can spend on it.Ben

even all the military bases in the area have homes on them
This is actually realistic to a point. Having lived on them my whole life....it would be safe to say that at most.....25% of the actual base property that has buildings...is in fact residential areas....But.....I don't have XP-10....so not sure how it really looks....Pics?