Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rome

In flight engine start

Hi everyone! I have a problem. I can't figure out how to restart the engines in flight! Not after engine failure or anything, let's say I just shut down one engine in flight I can't get it to start. I follow QRH. EGT Below 0, N2 - 0 and no changes. Starter levers to idle and I engine failure displays. Can you guys help?Roman.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

The windmilling restart needs to be done with some engine N2 rotation (see the reference handbooks), so you need to gain aircraft speed in order to rotate at the right speed the engine. The speed of the aircraft will rotate the engine, the speeds are similar to those used for ground start.Then you need to put the start selector switch to FLT position (activating sparks) and move the start lever to idle to supply fuel to the engine.Make sure that fire handles are in normal position.

That's what I did. Exactly after QRH. Just doesn't work. EGT seems to rise a bit but N2 stays still :(

EGT Below 0, N2 - 0 and no changes. Starter levers to idle and I engine failure displays.
If N2 is 0 in flight, there is no chance for a start. How did you shut the engine down in the first place?

Random failure. Then I reset the failure and try to restart the engine. Tried as well just to shut down one engine with start lever to cut off! Got to be something I'm missing sense N2 doesn't rise!

If you were in flight and you saw no N2, then you would not attempt a restart.Most pilots would look at that and say, "Oh, the engine has seized. I guess we're landing single engine."If you shut the engine down via the START LEVER, can you restart it?

Out of interest: Would a crossbleed start also be impossible with N2 = 0%?---Oliver BranaschkySent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The guidance for pilots may differ from what mechanics get, Andrea. We're told that if in flight with no N2, there is severe engine damamge and don't bother attempting a restart. You might be slower than the flight envelope, but you'd still have N2 rotation if the core wasn't locked.

The guidance for pilots may differ from what mechanics get, Andrea. We're told that if in flight with no N2, there is severe engine damamge and don't bother attempting a restart. You might be slower than the flight envelope, but you'd still have N2 rotation if the core wasn't locked.
Yes, if there is no N2 inflight it means that something is wrong.But in the simulation it can be possible at least if ngx doesn't simulate an N2 failure.

Hold on, I might need to back up. I can't find anything where it says you need N2 rotation to attempt a restart, only N1 is required. Soooo, maybe N2 can be 0. I'd be interested to find out for sure. Time more for digging.

N2 is the engine core, it is what creates pressure inside the engine, with no rotation it could cause surge inside the engine stages.Hope you find info about it.

@Spin 737 Yes I shut down the engine with start lever and I still can't restart it! Do I have to close effected engine pack in order to restart it. Don't remember QRH. Gonna try to do it again! Any more ideas? Does N2 should rise at ones? Or shouldn't it drop to 0 at all in flight?

The best thing is to completely unload the engine. The bleed will be already closed, but, turn the switch off and turn off the engine hyd pump for the affected engine.What is your actual IAS?

Make sure you've accomplished both the engine shutdown and then the restart QRH. Check out the restart flight envelope, too. You should be able to get 11% N2, if it's going to work either via bleed air or windmilling.

Hyd pump I didn't try to turn off. Will do. IAS was 300!
At 300kts, you should definitely be close to 11% N2 if not more. Either you have the core locked or the sim is goofy.

Isnt there an altitude restriction for a restart, or is that not relevant to these new fangled engines?

Isnt there an altitude restriction for a restart, or is that not relevant to these new fangled engines?
Yes there is. It looks like FL270 is the top of the envelope. You'll be getting down there one way or another, if you're above it. ;)

Make sure you've accomplished both the engine shutdown and then the restart QRH. Check out the restart flight envelope, too. You should be able to get 11% N2, if it's going to work either via bleed air or windmilling.At 300kts, you should definitely be close to 11% N2 if not more. Either you have the core locked or the sim is goofy.
What do you mean by the core locked. Gonna try again now and will tell you guys exactly what I get!

After you guys shutdown the engine normaly, without any failures.... Are you able to get any rotation out of it at all when airborne?I might be thinking of another addon, but, doesn't the engines spin when the aircraft is on the ground, not moving and there is a wind present that is somewhere inline with the intakes?JB

After you guys shutdown the engine normaly, without any failures.... Are you able to get any rotation out of it at all when airborne?I might be thinking of another addon, but, doesn't the engines spin when the aircraft is on the ground, not moving and there is a wind present that is somewhere inline with the intakes?JB
Sounds like the Dodosim 206 to me!

Sounds like the Dodosim 206 to me!
Yah... blum.gif150 knot headwinds will make the engines spin when the planes on the ground. Just tested. Instruments display about 3.3 N1 and 10.6 N2.And just did a relight at 17k, on both engines after shutdown just by windmilling, with all the bleed ducts closed.Should work for everyone... Hopefully.1. Load up default panel state in NGX (engines and systems on)2. Slew to 2403. release slew4. Turn off all bleed ducts and close crossover4.5 OOPs forgot most important... Kill fuel for both engines LOL5. Ignition switches to flight6. Check out fan and core rotation7. Switch one engine to cont8. Give fuel8.5 should see Fuel flow kick in as soon as the valves open and then get a relight9. Repeat for other engine.The NGX generated failure "Flameout" should douse the fire and allow for a relight through windmilling and crossbleed. All the other failures that kill the engine probably render the guts useless and like Kyle said below, will keep it from spinning.On that note... It would be cool if heavy precip or severe turbulence would cause a random generated flameout in the NGX if "cont" isn't selected.. I'll leave that for another "Feature Request" Post. :)JB

What do you mean by the core locked. Gonna try again now and will tell you guys exactly what I get!
The N2 spool is the "core" of the engine. If it is seized or "locked," you won't get any N2 rotation. No rotation on either spool would mean the engine shouldn't be restarted.

...and to follow up on that, 'seized' or 'locked' means the metal has essentially fused to other metal, or has at least gotten firmly stuck (either through the exhaustion of oil/fluids, or mechanically).

Well weirdly enought this time everything worked! N2 never dropped down below 30! I found out that the only time it is at 0 is when I activate severe engine damage in failures. I gues last time I didn't properly reseted it!But I activated engine flame out and that didn't work. Looks like it was shutting down for couple of seconds but then reseted! (in failure options changes from activated back to off) Does it work for you guys?I also wonder something: if I have random failures turned on and lets say I get window overheat or engine overheat, oil temp high, prob overheat and such. Is it possible to fix it without turning the failure off in the options? I got window overheat once and I turned that window heat off. And the overheat warning didn't go off! Any cool failures that can be fixed within the cockpit and not simply turning it off in the options? Like to challenge my self ;)Thanks!PS. Just landed for the first time with auto land! I am amazed how perfect this landing was!!! Never knew it was that accurate! blum.gif