Sign in to follow this  
rome

In flight engine start

Hi everyone! I have a problem. I can't figure out how to restart the engines in flight! Not after engine failure or anything, let's say I just shut down one engine in flight I can't get it to start. I follow QRH. EGT Below 0, N2 - 0 and no changes. Starter levers to idle and I engine failure displays. Can you guys help?Roman.

The windmilling restart needs to be done with some engine N2 rotation (see the reference handbooks), so you need to gain aircraft speed in order to rotate at the right speed the engine. The speed of the aircraft will rotate the engine, the speeds are similar to those used for ground start.Then you need to put the start selector switch to FLT position (activating sparks) and move the start lever to idle to supply fuel to the engine.Make sure that fire handles are in normal position.

Regards

Andrea Daviero

That's what I did. Exactly after QRH. Just doesn't work. EGT seems to rise a bit but N2 stays still :(

EGT Below 0, N2 - 0 and no changes. Starter levers to idle and I engine failure displays.
If N2 is 0 in flight, there is no chance for a start. How did you shut the engine down in the first place?

Matt Cee

Random failure. Then I reset the failure and try to restart the engine. Tried as well just to shut down one engine with start lever to cut off! Got to be something I'm missing sense N2 doesn't rise!

If you were in flight and you saw no N2, then you would not attempt a restart.Most pilots would look at that and say, "Oh, the engine has seized. I guess we're landing single engine."If you shut the engine down via the START LEVER, can you restart it?

Matt Cee

Out of interest: Would a crossbleed start also be impossible with N2 = 0%?---Oliver BranaschkySent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Oliver Branaschky

The guidance for pilots may differ from what mechanics get, Andrea. We're told that if in flight with no N2, there is severe engine damamge and don't bother attempting a restart. You might be slower than the flight envelope, but you'd still have N2 rotation if the core wasn't locked.

Matt Cee

The guidance for pilots may differ from what mechanics get, Andrea. We're told that if in flight with no N2, there is severe engine damamge and don't bother attempting a restart. You might be slower than the flight envelope, but you'd still have N2 rotation if the core wasn't locked.
Yes, if there is no N2 inflight it means that something is wrong.But in the simulation it can be possible at least if ngx doesn't simulate an N2 failure.

Regards

Andrea Daviero

Hold on, I might need to back up. I can't find anything where it says you need N2 rotation to attempt a restart, only N1 is required. Soooo, maybe N2 can be 0. I'd be interested to find out for sure. Time more for digging.

Matt Cee

N2 is the engine core, it is what creates pressure inside the engine, with no rotation it could cause surge inside the engine stages.Hope you find info about it.

Regards

Andrea Daviero

@Spin 737 Yes I shut down the engine with start lever and I still can't restart it! Do I have to close effected engine pack in order to restart it. Don't remember QRH. Gonna try to do it again! Any more ideas? Does N2 should rise at ones? Or shouldn't it drop to 0 at all in flight?

The best thing is to completely unload the engine. The bleed will be already closed, but, turn the switch off and turn off the engine hyd pump for the affected engine.What is your actual IAS?

Regards

Andrea Daviero