Sign in to follow this  
avgaskoolaid

How to improve my specs?

Whatever suggestions you follow Hamoody, please remember, as the BFG has already pointed out, that all rigs are different. While you may well have seen an improvement with unlimited frames set, I suggest you also try locking them in FSX. The same with any other suggestions, follow ONE CHANGE AT A TIME and then test and test. There was asuggestion earlier in the post regarding the water settings. The reason why I did not point this out to you is because you are running a 500 series GPU which often display graphical anomolies when panning around the aircraft, setting it at High x 2 elimintaes this issue. I assumed that's why you had it set at High x 2 and why I too have mine set so high. If you can drop it to Low x 2, then you will see a good improvement in frames with little drop in quaity ( I wish I could do that.) As for the suggestions about Autogen by Nick N and the effect it has on performance is , well, I agree with Zach on this one. By all means, try it, but I'll wager a bet that if you increase your autogen your performance will suffer. If you revisit my posted screenies and see my settings you may get an idea as to why I have a lovely smooth flying experience. But as has already been said... every rig is differeent so don't simply take on board what is said on any forum post as being God's word. Use advice, of course, but only as a spring board for you to experiment :( EDIT: As a suggestion, drop your airline AI to less than 40% and do a comparison test and watch the increase in performance. IMHO I really think it is unnecessary to run AI at 85% I assume this is default traffic? If so, get one of the third party AI programs like UT or MTX and run it at 30% and watch your perfomance jump! I use MTX pro and at 30 % I have more than enough traffic. Anyway just a suggestion, see how you get on.

Edited by Rockliffe

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

I agree with Rockliffe. There is nothing wrong with AVG. I have never had any problems with it.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

As a suggestion, drop your airline AI to less than 40% and do a comparison test and watch the increase in performance. IMHO I really think it is unnecessary to run AI at 85% I assume this is default traffic? If so, get one of the third party AI programs like UT or MTX and run it at 30% and watch your perfomance jump! I use MTX pro and at 30 % I have more than enough traffic. Anyway just a suggestion, see how you get on.
I am running all of the World of AI packages (Tried My Traffic X and Traffic X), and the reason I have it set so high is because when it is set below 65 or so, I get such sparse traffic that it looks completely unrealistic. I am willing to lose a few frames to get realistic AI.

I am running all of the World of AI packages (Tried My Traffic X and Traffic X), and the reason I have it set so high is because when it is set below 65 or so, I get such sparse traffic that it looks completely unrealistic. I am willing to lose a few frames to get realistic AI.
Mmm, OK, I understand...

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke

The reason why I did not point this out to you is because you are running a 500 series GPU which often display graphical anomolies when panning around the aircraft
I use the BufferPools RejectThreshold tweak and this seems to get rid of that.
I converted all my WOAI aircraft to DXT1 format using a tool called the WOAI patcher (It's in the AVSim library). Works with FSX, even though it's for FS2004. This creates smaller texture files and improves the frames somewhat. Edited by magnetite

I use the BufferPools RejectThreshold tweak and this seems to get rid of that.
Mmm, that's interesting, i'll do some experimenting, thanks.

Howard

I use the BufferPools RejectThreshold tweak and this seems to get rid of that.I converted all my WOAI aircraft to DXT1 format using a tool called the WOAI patcher (It's in the AVSim library). Works with FSX, even though it's for FS2004. This creates smaller texture files and improves the frames somewhat.
Mmm, that's interesting, i'll do some experimenting, thanks.
The RejectThreshold tweak has become the standard go to tweak for FSX. Bojote's tweaker sets the reject value according to the GPU you select in the tweaking tool. That is if you used the tweaker, it's already in your .cfg. I'll defer you to *******' write up on RejectThreshold:
RejectThreshold Will 'cap' the ammount of data that is sent per-frame to the Dynamic Vertex Buffers. Originally, FSX had this value set to 2MB, a big NO NO for Dynamic Index and Vertex buffers. When using Dynamc buffers the most efficient way to increase performance is to send ONLY the ammount of data streamed to the card per single frame, usually this is 128-500 KB. The UsePools=0 option will also make performance better, because the Dynamic vertex buffers are bypassed, however, this creates a problem because of the way FSX is programmed (Lock/Unlock of Dynamic Vertex Buffers). Having UsePools=0 means that the CPU can stall the GPU with requests (they go directly into the card's command buffer) and not the Index/Vertex buffers so FSX has no way to control the 'flow' of data. This two options behave differently depending on your hardware. For example, if you have a VERY fast card, then having Dynamic buffers (RejectThreshold) with a small value will yield the absolute best performance. In your card is not fast enough, then you are better off with UsePools=0. All newer cards (eg GTX400 series), MUST use RejectThreshold instead of UsePools=0. The performance improvement for this change is remarkable.
Edited by ZachLW

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

I'm doing some tests at the moment. I took out the original RejectThreshold tweak as it was not making any difference. However, using these values there is definitely a difference! I'll let you know how I get on...

Howard

I personally use 131074 as my RejectThreshold setting with my GTX 570. That's what the tweaking tool recommended.

I'm doing some tests at the moment. I took out the original RejectThreshold tweak as it was not making any difference. However, using these values there is definitely a difference! I'll let you know how I get on...
Glad it's working for you. With your card (GTX 580 for those who can't see Howard's signature), generally the smaller the better. Start with 96kb and work up from there (98304). Edited by ZachLW

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Hi Zach, sure, from the past three hours tweaking and testing I've found a value of RejThr of 98304 and a pool size of 10000000. From this I gained frames from 25 to 29 in the VC at airport! This has allowed me to drop the water settings and I have also changed Inspector settings. So I have now been able to up a little more AG and some AI... oh, and it's smoother too! Thanks for the info and also to Jeff for the link, very helpful, cheers.

Howard