Sign in to follow this  

Hello everyone.I'm running FSX with 3 27" Dell monitors using Nvidia Surround at 7680x1440.The thing that annoys me is the "stretching" of the perspective on the outmost monitors. The center monitor is has correct perspective, but the two other is stretched.Is there some way to correct perspective on the outmost monitors ?

From what I understand this is how games are designed. It was explained to me as "Think of a ping-pong ball and you are inside of it. Not exactly in the middle but focused more towards one side. So it looks pretty normal when you look straight ahead. But the sides start to give more of a stretching effect".I also heard it can depend on the game. I actually thought FS was a bit better because you could be miles away from objects as opposed to a ground game like a first-person shooter and the objects are very close to you. I guess VC cockpits could be an issue if you zoom out. I would suggest try zooming in as much as pleasing it can be for you and remember the side screens are strictly for immersion effect, not to be focused on as much.Check out the website Widescreen Gaming Forums:http://widescreengam...orum.com/forum/not so much for FSX but a great resource for all things widescreen - wrap-arounds, Eyefinity, Surround, etc.Good luck,ClutchDo you have Track IR? I am thinking that could be helpful when turning your view more to the sides? What Nvidia cards are you using? How are FPS? (I ask as I am in the process of either going Surround or Eyefinity).

Edited by Clutch Cargo

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

Yeah, guessed as much. If i turn the head to the left, the right instrument panel is much closer for instance.I can't complain in regards to fps. I only see heavy stutters now and then.My computer is an I7-930@3.8 GHz, 2x GTX580 running off an Intel Gen2 SSD drive.I use REX, UTX and Carenado planes. I'm considering getting a 2700K and a new motherboard, to try and hit 5 GHzI have IR4, but i don't use it that often. Zooming in further would be crazy, as i want to see the most useful instruments at any given time :)I will try and use the monitors in portrait mode as well, this should lessen the effect.

Edited by espensh

I have found the only way to reduce the distortion is to zoom closer to the 1.00 Zoom ratio. At the closer zoom ratios, you have much less distortion, but trade that for the amount of space you can view. I have found 1.00 or 1.50 is doable with TrackIR.I agree with performance not being too much of an issue, though there is definitely a penalty for running two GPU's. I wish NVIDIA offered a way to run 3 monitors with only one GPU.

Instead of zooming try Control Enter to move viewpoint back. Worked for me :smile:

Happy landings,

Mike Eppright (KAAO)

Is there a configuration file for the zooming, or are you zooming normally ingame ?
I have just been using the normal in game zooming.

Good point on using the keys to move your eyepoint, forgot about that... was only using my zoom. But when you go to outside view and return to the VC does it retain the previouse position? (yea, I gonna try it out but thought I would ask too). It was also recommended to me to get EZDok where you can then set up your views ("camera views"), exactly where you want them. I'll probably try that since I am experiemting with Eyefinty. Would also like to try Surround but only have one 580 card but I am sure it is similar to Eyefinity.

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU

I've used both, and they are quite similar. As far as configuring your views in the cockpit, they're the same. ATI's drivers make bezel correction easier, but that's about it.

For those interested in this thread, spent yesterday fiddiling with the FS eyepoints and there was no position I could achieve in the VC where I could move back enough to get a good viewpoint. Either I was so close to the firewall I could not see out of my aircraft and the gauges were huge, or I would move back just about where I would want it and then I find myself behind the pilot's seat. Tried with the default cessna and a few heavies as well. I think even if I used EZdok I would have the same results.I am thinking Eyefinity works great if you use actual hardware for your cockpit and only use the displays to show the scenery - not the VC cockpit. If someone has different results I would like to hear what you have done. But I think I am going back to a single display.Clutch

Edited by Clutch Cargo

I usually don't fly with Eyefinity since my 5870 doesn't seem to have enough oomph for 5760x1080 and 30FPS in the Orbx areas I fly, but I did a bit of testing to check this out for you and I was able to get an ok view using WideAspect=False to keep the sides from being stretched, and EZDok to move the eyepoint back to the right location, and I think it works ok but is still not exactly ideal because the problem is FSX doesn't allow a zoom setting lower than .30 and so you still are a bit too close to the panel.So here is what I could come up with by zooming out and moving the EZDok eyepoint back as far as possible without being behind the seat more than a bit:1485760x1080x30zoom.jpgI think it would actually work well if there was any way to zoom FSX lower than .3 but if there is a way I have not found it.The other alternative is to move the eyepoint farther back but then it starts to look weird because you end up being behind the seat location.That is the cockpit of the A2A P40 by the way.

Edited by kludger

--John near KPAE

Not sure of you've solved this yet, but incase you haven't there's a setting that turns on/off the wide aspect ratio on the outside monitors you are talking about.You'll need to edit your fsx.cfg file. If you don't know how to do that I'll add instructions below. If you do know how to, open it and Look for a line with ViewWideAspect in it and make sure it is set to "False". Restart fsx and you should be good.To edit fsx.cfg:Navigate to C:/Documents and Settings/(your user name)/Application Data/Microsoft/Microsoft Games/Flight Simulator X/Right-click the file fsx.cfg (might just look like fsx if you have file extensions off) and choose "open with". Choose Notepad. Now search the file for ViewWideAspect. If you find it, make it look like:ViewWideAspect=FalseIf it isn't there already, add it beneath screen resolution.

Question for you Surround users... can you use Nvidia Surround for three displays and have a 4th display non-Surround?Let me ask one more... we know that FSX really doesn't take advantage of a 2nd GPU in terms of performance (ie; FPS), but does take advantage of the extra RAM of the 2nd card? Ya know maybe helping out sutters, refreshing, smoothness... things like that. Any Eyefinity or Surround users notice any advantage of that?I've even read where users see a disadvantage in performance in SLI for FSX? Thoughts? Think it is just some tweaking that is needed?thx,Clutch

Question for you Surround users... can you use Nvidia Surround with one card and two displays?Let me ask one more... we know that FSX really doesn't take advantage of a 2nd GPU in terms of performance (ie; FPS), but does take advantage of the extra RAM of the 2nd card? Ya know maybe helping out sutters, refreshing, smoothness... things like that. Any Eyefinity or Surround users notice any advantage of that?I've enven read where users see a disadvantage in performance in SLI for FSX? Thoughts? Think it is just some tweaking that is needed?thx,Clutch
You need 2 GFX cards, and 3 identical monitors to use Nvidia Surround.I played FSX before I had the multiple monitors (and GPUs), then with the 2 GPUs and 3 monitors and I do thinkg I noticed a small increase in FPS once I had the 2 cards hooked up and working. Though I'm usually locked at 60 FPS all the time on the highest graphics settings, it would randomly studder before (to load textures?) but I dont encounter that much anymore.My Specs:2x Nvidia 570GTX SuperClockedi2500k @ 4.68GB 16007200 rpm HD'sHope this helps =)

The monitors dont have to be identical as mine aren't. You also should be aware that a large number of nvidia surround users sometimes experience USB resets, google it. No 4th monitor though.