Sign in to follow this  
Raimo I

Terrain draw distance.

Hey.I have one problem. Its that my fs2004 is drawing its dextured detailed close up but as it gets further it gets blurred. Now its not "blur" thing that is caused because of slow hardware, I quess it just is that way. Now my question is how do i make fs2004 draw these textures/landclass or whatever thei are further. At FL340 i can only see 100% crisp dextures below me and little in front, but then it gets blurry, and even further its blurry as hell. I would like to have atlest couple hundred square miles drawn 100%.Can anyone help?Thank You.
There's a tweek to solve this. I'll post it when I get home tonight.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

my first thought when reading that was "yeah and it is hiding in the fountain of youth right next to the pot of gold being protected by a little green man at the end of the rainbow" :LMAO:I think we would all love to know the tweak that makes FS9 crystal clear for hundreds of square miles! :( In all seriousness, i don't think FS9 has ever been able to display equal LOD from right under the aircraft to the horizon, there have always been differing levels of detail in "rings" around the aircraft. If you have a "tweak" to make the roads 100 miles away look just as crisp as the roads/textures directly below the aircraft I would love to know it as well... Edited by psolk

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

In all seriousness, i don't think FS9 has ever been able to display equal LOD from right under the aircraft to the horizon, there have always been differing levels of detail in "rings" around the aircraft. If you have a "tweak" to make the roads 100 miles away look just as crisp as the roads/textures directly below the aircraft I would love to know it as well...
Totally agree, I'd love to see this tweak as well. I don't think you could put a price tag on it.I've got to say the best success I've had so far came from you Paul and post #11 from this thread.. http://forum.avsim.n...res-look-awful/I had tweaked my cfg until I was blue in the face and had zip to show for it. I had given up on fiddling with it further, but for some reason I decided to give yours a shot. Placebo or not is irrelevant. My brain says there is a marked improvement and I'm totally cool with that! Thanks again Paul :(

If it really works, can't wait for it!

A typical day for a flight around the Los Angeles Valley...>>>KLAX Photograph:typicalklaxday.jpgUnlimited Visibility?.... :( ...!This is what I mostly get when dialing up "real weather" on the California Coastal Regions during my FS 2004 Sim Flights.When not using real weather, I set my Sim visibility to match those typical conditions.Paul...on a misty Californian Coast, in a Cessna 150 Aerobat.

Same view different day, what's your point? Mine is that permanently setting visibility to 5-10 miles as you originally recommended as a fix to blurry terrain in the distance is not accurate. I don't deny for a minute there are days that are indeed low vis conditions but there are also days that are not (Hence the CAVOK and CAVU METAR codes!) and permanently setting visibility to 5-10 miles ESPECIALLY when flying a big jet at altitude is just bad advice period full stop. Seems the pic below would confirm that :(LAX-webcam.png

Edited by psolk

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

I didn't say make terrain clear for as far as the eye can see but rather extends the terrain out farther than the default for a better flying experiance at higher altitudes. I've posted this before, it's a setting in the FS9.cfg file.

FS2020 

Same view different day, what's your point? Mine is that permanently setting visibility to 5-10 miles as you originally recommended as a fix to blurry terrain in the distance is not accurate. I don't deny for a minute there are days that are indeed low vis conditions but there are also days that are not (Hence the CAVOK and CAVU METAR codes!) and permanently setting visibility to 5-10 miles ESPECIALLY when flying a big jet at altitude is just bad advice period full stop. Seems the pic below would confirm that :(LAX-webcam.png
Before the correspondence gets far too personal...Perhaps I can suggest that you select the visibility to suit your goodself, and I will select the average visibility at various times of the year which I regularly experience in my General Aviation low level flights in my local Club's Cessna 150/152 aircraft.That should suit both of us, with no further ado and increasing unpleasantness?Paul .....British Army on the Rhine Military Pilot. 1955>

Fair enough Paul, no need to get personal... TBH, visibility is not something I even think of as I use ASE which automatically injects the current r/w wxr and visibility so if either of was flying in LA as it was depicted in your pic it would automatically be depicted as such in the sim and if it was a clear day as in my pic it would automatically be depicted as such. All I was saying is there is no need to artificially restrict the view to 5-10 miles all the time as in many instances it would be grossly inaccurate and is not the way to go about to reduce blurries. There are other ways to reduce blurries and still accurately depict whatever the wxr is doing at the time. The OP asked about how to reduce blurries

At FL340 i can only see 100% crisp dextures below me and little in front, but then it gets blurry, and even further its blurry as hell. I would like to have atlest couple hundred square miles drawn 100%.
and your response was to reduce visibility to 5-10 miles, nothing personal, I just disagreed.All the best :( Edited by psolk

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

All the answers on terrain are here:http://www.germany-vfr.de/Jobia/lcdokupdf/lcdokupdf.zipIt's in German, but you can get the gist of it and if you really need something a pass through google translate should get you pretty close.scott s..

[TERRAIN]TERRAIN_ERROR_FACTOR=100.000000TERRAIN_MIN_DEM_AREA=10.000000TERRAIN_MAX_DEM_AREA=100.000000TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=21TERRAIN_TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=8TERRAIN_AUTOGEN_DENSITY=5TERRAIN_USE_GRADIENT_MAP=1TERRAIN_EXTENDED_TEXTURES=1TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=9.000000 TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=9.000000 TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=4

FS2020 

Hi.It occured to me that the OP most often flies at flight levels and suffers a problem unlike the one to which I offered a solution. I spent some time yesterday experimenting with various weather and TableFog settings, with the following results.For simplicity, while making these screenies I temporarily disabled external control of the weather through FSUIPC. My usual FSUIPC visibility settings, with external control enabled, are below. They override manual settings within FS9 but you can understand that a visibility of 5000 hundredths of a mile is the same as manually setting visibility to 50 miles.The first screenie is a good example of the discontinuity. Visibility was set as unlimited up to 30 000 feet with TableFog=0 while I slewed much higher at FL400. Note the visibility is effectively unlimited as I was above the influence of the MS visibility setting:With TableFog=1 (which equates to the default of no TableFog entry) the ground beneath the aircraft is rather murky but the discontinuity is still visible:I have only been able to mask the discontinuity. I'm sorry to say the fs9.cfg tweak offered above made no difference to my installation's inability to draw high LOD textures further from the observer. However, it did extend the nearest (and highest) LOD, so allowing roads and rivers to show up at a greater distance, though that's not immediately obvious in the next two pictures, default first, tweak second (look closely at the bottom left of each):Extending the visibility layer upwards in the Advanced Weather settings so that it includes the FL in use draws a discreet veil over the discontinuity.... and setting TableFog=0 increases saturation and contrast in the textures beneath the observer.And the icing? On the cake, that is. Using the fs9.cfg settings suggested above to extend the innermost LOD:I hope this clears up some perennial questions.D