Sign in to follow this  
Brenchen

Building New PC - Research Phase

I completely understand why you are telling him this but, you have to understand that the 2700K isn't JUST a 100MHZ boost.

The 2700K is a higher binned version and it is quite apparent when OC'ing the chip to very high clock speed. As you can see in my signature, I run my chip with 4.8GHZ @ 1.34Vcore.

-I have seen some guys around here with 2600K's that require 1.4+Vcore to get to 4.8GHZ. This is in direct coorelation to the fact that the 2700K's are a higher binned version. The 2700K's have been tested for stability and they will have a much greater OC potential therefore, they will very likely run at a much lower VCore than the 2600K's at the same clock speed. So, if you go out and want to get a good OC chip, nearly all of the good chips are now labeled as 2700K's. Presumably, the 2600K's are now the lower end chips that have less OC potential...

Just my 2 cents... :smile:

Actually yes, at the end of the day it's just 100MHz and still a gamble. There are tons of 2500K at 4.8GHz below 1.4V, and most will do 4.7, so the overclock potential of the 2700K is far from being miles ahead of the 2500K's

http://www.overclock.net/t/968053/official-the-sandy-stable-club-guides-voltages-temps-bios-templates-inc-spreadsheet

Actually yes, at the end of the day it's just 100MHz and still a gamble. There are tons of 2500K at 4.8GHz below 1.4V, and most will do 4.7, so the overclock potential of the 2700K is far from being miles ahead of the 2500K's

http://www.overclock...inc-spreadsheet

I had a feeling you might bring that in Dario! :biggrin: haha

The reason I didn't mention the 2500 series is due to the fact that I have observed that many if not all most all 2500K's OC better than current 2600K's. Also, I don't want people to think that they can't buy a 2600K.--It is still an excellent overclocking chip compared to the older gen from Intel.

Well I have just been told that something called the Ivy Bridge from intel is coming out in a month or so, so I think i will wait, even though I have n idea on what it is

Well I have just been told that something called the Ivy Bridge from intel is coming out in a month or so, so I think i will wait, even though I have n idea on what it is

There will always be something new on the horizon...

There will always be something new on the horizon...

Paul is the system you linked me perfect though?

I highly agree with Ben. I need 1.39V for 4.7 GHz, and it's on offset mode. If I use manual mode I need 1.40V. There is no way I can get it any lower than 1.39V. 1.38V gives me BSOD after 7 hours of Prime95. Little stable, but not stable enough.

In your case Ben, you could probably send you i7 2700K to 5GHz on 1.4V. That would be a dream for me!

And also, I read a thread from NickN, that the higher cache of the 2600K/2700K is beneficial for FSX.

So overall I highly recommend getting the i7 2700K, because:

- I overclocks better and needs less voltage

- The extra cache is a little benefial for FSX

I highly agree with Ben. I need 1.39V for 4.7 GHz, and it's on offset mode. If I use manual mode I need 1.40V. There is no way I can get it any lower than 1.39V. 1.38V gives me BSOD after 7 hours of Prime95. Little stable, but not stable enough.

In your case Ben, you could probably send you i7 2700K to 5GHz on 1.4V. That would be a dream for me!

And also, I read a thread from NickN, that the higher cache of the 2600K/2700K is beneficial for FSX.

So overall I highly recommend getting the i7 2700K, because:

- I overclocks better and needs less voltage

- The extra cache is a little benefial for FSX

I respectfully call BS.

I posted with a big sample of 2500K, 2600K & 2700K overclocking results. The difference is minimal.

And the bigger cache in the 2700K is also in the 2600K, fact of the matter is that it makes no difference whatsoever.

NickN doesn't recommend X79 even though they come with up to a wopping 15MB of L3 cache

No system is perfect but the one I linked to is cheap and powerful (in that order!). If I was buying a system tomorrow, it is what I would go for. If I had more money to spend, I would consider (in order) an SSD, higher spec power supply, better cooling, higher spec graphics card.

I would expect that system to remain seriously competitive for about 18 months, at which point it would begin to become a bit ordinary and I would begin to consider upgrading it. If I put aside a fiver a week, then when it came time to upgrade I would have a budget of £400 without putting my hand in my pocket. The will get a leading (but not cutting edge) CPU, MB and RAM upgrade. Make it a tenner a week, and I could upgrade to a leading graphics card as well.

No system is perfect but the one I linked to is cheap and powerful (in that order!). If I was buying a system tomorrow, it is what I would go for. If I had more money to spend, I would consider (in order) an SSD, higher spec power supply, better cooling, higher spec graphics card.

I would expect that system to remain seriously competitive for about 18 months, at which point it would begin to become a bit ordinary and I would begin to consider upgrading it. If I put aside a fiver a week, then when it came time to upgrade I would have a budget of £400 without putting my hand in my pocket. The will get a leading (but not cutting edge) CPU, MB and RAM upgrade. Make it a tenner a week, and I could upgrade to a leading graphics card as well.

Thanks for your help Paul. This system is ideal. I am happy to step it up to about £1300 so what should I upgrade from the listings??? I would like the system to be competitive for longer if possible.

You have a decent budget so think about specing up the machine I suggested with an SSD and 560Ti and keep the remaining £300 safe. In six months time, there will be new toys on the market and you will be in a great position to upgrade again because you will be able to sell a nearly new i5 and motherboard at a very good price, but if you buy the best the market has today, you will blow your budget, have very little extra to show for it, and have a hard time justifying another upgrade in 6 months.

I don't want to start new thread about the same thing, this is about what i want to buy:

Motherboard: Asus P8Z68-V GEN3 Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard

Processor : Intel Core i7-2600K 3.40GHz (Sandybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor

CPU cooler: Corsair A50 High-Performance CPU Cooler

Graphic card: MSI GeForce GTX 560Ti OC Twin FrozR II 2048MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card

Memory: Corsair Vengeance RED 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-17100C11 2133MHz Dual Channel Kit

Power supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro Modular 850W '80 Plus Bronze'

SSD: Corsair Force Series 3 120GB SATA 6Gb/s Solid State Drive

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache

Monitor: Samsung S23A700D 23" 120Hz 3D Widescreen Gaming Monitor

I will do some overclocking, probably to 4,3GHz.

So, I need some advice about motherboard and memory compatibility, and overall system compatibility, PSU etc. Please tell me if you have any suggestions

In my opinion, being a long time simmer and soon to be self computer builder, Intel is the way to go. I am not familiar with AMD, but everyone I know with the second generation Intel's are satisfied. I think you should wait, like myself, until the code name Ivy Bridge third generation of processors is released. I can't imagine what FSX would look like without any visible pixels. If you do build before that, I would buy a motherboard that is compatible with both second and third generation Intel processors.

I don't want to start new thread about the same thing, this is about what i want to buy:

Motherboard: Asus P8Z68-V GEN3 Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard

Processor : Intel Core i7-2600K 3.40GHz (Sandybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor

CPU cooler: Corsair A50 High-Performance CPU Cooler

Graphic card: MSI GeForce GTX 560Ti OC Twin FrozR II 2048MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card

Memory: Corsair Vengeance RED 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-17100C11 2133MHz Dual Channel Kit

Power supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro Modular 850W '80 Plus Bronze'

SSD: Corsair Force Series 3 120GB SATA 6Gb/s Solid State Drive

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache

Monitor: Samsung S23A700D 23" 120Hz 3D Widescreen Gaming Monitor

I will do some overclocking, probably to 4,3GHz.

So, I need some advice about motherboard and memory compatibility, and overall system compatibility, PSU etc. Please tell me if you have any suggestions

You should be ok with that. Compatibility wise, I am not completely sure. The only thing I would worry about is whether the power supply and everything else will fit into the case. As long as you buy what works with the motherboard, like DDR3 240 pin and Socket Size 1155 i7 you should be fine. The motherboard will tell you what to get basically.

FYI That motherboard is a very nice selection. What I like about it is that it supports the upcoming Intel Ivy Bridge 3 generation processor.

OVERALL: Looks like a pretty solid system. Just don't cheap out anything trying to save money, as you'll create an unfortunate bottleneck.

Thank you, that is what i need to hear :)

I am still concerned about motherboard and memory compatibility, Corsair Vengeance is not in P8Z68-V GEN3 Qualified Vendor List

The memory standard for that board:

DDR3 2200(O.C.) / 2133(O.C.) / 1866(O.C.) / 1600 / 1333 / 1066