Sign in to follow this  
Pilots Report

777 EFB

hi all.I'm just curious to know if the upcoming 777 will be modelling the Electronic Flight Bag instrument. If so, how will this work and will it be fully featured or limited? I mean, for an examle, how will it display the electronic charts, will you upload a chart file (possibly in .rte format) into the EFB so then displays it on screen. Similar to how you load a co-route into the FMC, or will it require additional software, such as a payware service like NavigraphAnd what about the 'onboard video surveillance' feature? It will be fantastic if this instrument is modelled and fully featured.Thanks.

It would be really cool but its better just to get an EFB software like aivlasoft which i have and is amazing.

It would be really cool but its better just to get an EFB software like aivlasoft which i have and is amazing.
Maybe PMDG could work with Aivlasoft and put their EFB into the 777 (on the screen where it usually is in the cockpit). Maybe that could be an option when purchasing because the combined EFB/T7 would surely cost more... This way PMDG doesn't have to go through the craziness of creating a true to life EFB and the simmers who want it can purchase a more expensive 777 that comes with it and simmers who don't don't need to. Just an idea.

Best regards, happy flying,

Wallace

Maybe PMDG could work with Aivlasoft and put their EFB into the 777 (on the screen where it usually is in the cockpit). Maybe that could be an option when purchasing because the combined EFB/T7 would surely cost more... This way PMDG doesn't have to go through the craziness of creating a true to life EFB and the simmers who want it can purchase a more expensive 777 that comes with it and simmers who don't don't need to. Just an idea.
Afaik, Aivlasoft's EFB has to run on it's own outside of FSX. If it was just a matter of making a gauge for it and making it a popup panel, I'm sure they would have done it already and it would be available for any plane you fly.Even if it could be included in the 777, it would be too small to use in the VC and would need to be a popup panel anyway, at which point if it was already designed to be a popup panel Aivlasoft would do it.What I was thinking, anyway.

Guest dlrk
And what about the 'onboard video surveillance' feature? It will be fantastic if this instrument is modelled and fully featured.
How does that make sense?

Frankly Avilasoft just needs to make a slick iPad/iPhone App with a network module working through Simconnect on the FSX computer. Then you would have the real deal. With a SDK from PMDG the possibilities are endless.

Afaik, Aivlasoft's EFB has to run on it's own outside of FSX. If it was just a matter of making a gauge for it and making it a popup panel, I'm sure they would have done it already and it would be available for any plane you fly.Even if it could be included in the 777, it would be too small to use in the VC and would need to be a popup panel anyway, at which point if it was already designed to be a popup panel Aivlasoft would do it.What I was thinking, anyway.
Ah I see. Yeah, thinking about it, the EFB would definitely be too small if not popped up. Is the one that Aivlasoft sells very true to life? It sure looks it from the website. Edited by theshack440

Best regards, happy flying,

Wallace

Yes, this would be awesome. So would the external cameras shown in the cockpit when taxing in the -300.

Yeah, thinking about it, the EFB would definitely be too small if not popped up.
+1This is exactly the point everyone seems to miss...even if it were practical for PMDG to create/archive/host thousands of aviation charts for the whole world, Imagine being on an approach and having to pan your view down, zoom in about 500% to read the small print, then zoom back out. Even with TrackIR it wouldn't be practical.

Noah Bryant

It's not gonna be easy, but they should be able to model it, otherwise they wouldn't even have started the 777 project at all. What would be really nice, it that you can see yourself moving on the ground charts on the EFB. I know this is hard to model, but wasn't there another programm that did the same thing. Not sure, but wasn't it Flight Sim Commander?

It's not gonna be easy, but they should be able to model it, otherwise they wouldn't even have started the 777 project at all.
So the whole 777 project is based around an EFB?Don't think so.Do you have any facts to back this claim up?

It's not gonna be easy, but they should be able to model it, otherwise they wouldn't even have started the 777 project at all.
Ya I don't agree with this either. 777's have been and continue to be flown without EFB's all around the world.Really, I think the EFB thing should be left for some other developers. An EFB is a great example of why PMDG puts the time and effort into developing an SDK. That's the whole purpose.

Ya I don't agree with this either. 777's have been and continue to be flown without EFB's all around the world.Really, I think the EFB thing should be left for some other developers. An EFB is a great example of why PMDG puts the time and effort into developing an SDK. That's the whole purpose.
Really? Who? I doubt that statement. A T777 is worth roughly somewhere between 244-280 Millions, so why would it be such a big deal for an Airline to put in an EFB and Train it's Crew? None-EFB Widebody Jets may have been common years ago, but I highly doubt that to be the case now.

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

I may be imagining things, but one of the earlier MSFS versions worked with an Internet explorer tab in the kneeboard (I'm not really sure) that sort of thing could be handy for reading charts. I think an EFB could be a great thing to use in a manner similar to the NGX' fmc for load management and carrier option selection as well as displaying relevant charts selected from PDF files in a relevant folder in the aircrafts folder akin to a library for music, as well afford the selection of carrier options.Having said that the fmc option system in the NGX would make this redundant aside from chart viewing.Not a perfect idea but it would be interesting to see what PMDG do with the T7, my money is ready when they are.Regards, Luke Stevens

Edited by MR1NFERNO