Sign in to follow this  
Pilots Report

777 EFB

Ron, you should do research before saying things like this. I know 100% for a fact that United, Delta and American's 777's do not have the EFB. (every US operator of the airplane) I've spoken to several pilots at overseas airlines as well who say they don't even use them when they are there anyway. They've been supplanted by performance data coming in from dispatch through the datalink and by iPads and such that pilots are starting to carry with them in the cockpit. It's a very expensive option that doesn't add much that airlines don't already do through other means.
Take a look at cockpit photos on a.net of DALs 777LR's...Delta's LRs have the EFB and they had a memo a few months ago saying in the future they would be upgrading their ER's with EFBs as well. Research at its finest.

Take a look at cockpit photos on a.net of DALs 777LR's...Delta's LRs have the EFB and they had a memo a few months ago saying in the future they would be upgrading their ER's with EFBs as well. Research at its finest.
I just checked and yup! Some of the -200's have EFBs.So much for "I know 100% for a fact that [Delta] 777's do not have the EFB" :(

I just checked and yup! Some of the -200's have EFBs.So much for "I know 100% for a fact that [Delta] 777's do not have the EFB" :(
I should clarify before I get banned. They have EFBs as a unit installed. I am not 100% sure it has full capability. I know they have airport charts on there but I don't if their cockpits are full paperless since the ERs don't have it. Also I have no knowledge of united, continental, or American's. Like I said I am only aware of the LRs having EFB's.

Ron, you should do research before saying things like this. I know 100% for a fact that United, Delta and American's 777's do not have the EFB. (every US operator of the airplane) I've spoken to several pilots at overseas airlines as well who say they don't even use them when they are there anyway. They've been supplanted by performance data coming in from dispatch through the datalink and by iPads and such that pilots are starting to carry with them in the cockpit. It's a very expensive option that doesn't add much that airlines don't already do through other means.
Couldn't agree more. We at saudi arabian airlines we have een useing the 777 since 1997 and never used the EFB and we have resived the the first two 777-300 in our fleet and I think there is no EFB. Ill check once I see the baby on the ground ! :(

Looks like the EFB is the new WX radar.:)
Yeah, judging by their response I would say that I will be surprised if the original PMDG 777 contains an EFB

Yeah most of the older 772's don't have EFB's. If you see the Flight Decks they do have the cut out but that's for engineers and ground staff I believe, don't quote me! My friend is a First Officer on the EK 777 fleet and told me even some of the newer 777's don't come with EFB's. Most do but some older & newer ones do and don't. Not sure on the reason! Putting an EFB in the Flight Deck for FSX can be complicated, it's main purposes are for Performance, Charts & a couple of other things like Cabin Cameras etc. I think they could possibly put one in for performance but that will be it as think about Charts, some to find online you have to pay for! So it would be hard to keep updating them etc. You can easily find some online, for US Airports the FlightAware Charts are updated but as I say some Airports you have to pay for. The UK all charts can be found on NATS Website, Europe you can find online as well but a lot Charts are out-dated. I look at charts, I can read them but I don't use them much apart from flying in the UK & US, I know what I am doing and that's myself briefed ha.So for PMDG's sake it's probably easier just to do a Performance EFB maybe not in the VC but a separate program, maybe a bit more high tech than the others say you put in the Fuel and Weight then it loads it to the sim and on the program gives you all the things the EFB would such as Flap, V Speeds, Trim, De-Rated Take-off temp etc. But hay if it's just the normal it's not that hard to work out, have to remember we're in a Sim :)Cannot wait for the 777!

Personally I would much rather see the efforts go into the taxi guidance camera system!!! How cool would it be to pull up the taxi cams of the front wheel and rear gear as you taxi out!Incidentally, CO does use the EFB's on some of their 777's so some of the UA birds technically do have them but I think they will be all I-Pad on the flightdeck soon enough...
Yes that's correct, my screensaver is a CO 777 Flight Deck (772) and has one!

Seeing how detailed PMDG did the 737NGX, I can see that it is possible the EFB and outside cameras can be built into it. The amazing amount of detail in the NGX really lifted the bar for PMDG! I am soooo looking forward to the cockpit lighting, this is just going to be spectacular! I am in love with the 744 by PMDG too.They make an addictive product.Daniel McAloon

As Ryan said the EFB was kinda superseded by datalink delivery of performance data. So, I think that a good implementation of ACARS would add much more realism to the sim.Freddy
I'd prefer to see some ACARS system integrated into the 777 and also the 737 rather than an EFB on release.Maybe they could look into an 'app-like' store for advanced systems etc that could be added to the baseline product, such as an EFB. Also for ACARS, there could be small subscription packages to provide the service for flight plan/performance data etc. Just thinking out loud :)

Alaister Kay

Guest dlrk
Maybe they could look into an 'app-like' store for advanced systems etc that could be added to the baseline product, such as an EFB. Also for ACARS, there could be small subscription packages to provide the service for flight plan/performance data etc.Just thinking out loud :)
I'd love a performance/planning service, not sure if it's PMDG's area thoughThough I'd gladly pay 15/mo for one. Edited by dlrk

And I actually know 100% for a fact that some United 777's do have EFBs....airliners.net/photo/United-Airlines/Boeing-777-224-ER/2062381/L/&sid=fefd1b562287422da5b080939b65cef8mitch bowman Edited by FS737Pilot

I now Air Canada use Boinges EFB onbord B777-200LR and 300ER. Soo some company use them..Steinar GrindsteinNorway
As someone who instructed ground personnel on the EFB I can tell you that a lot of customers are using and evaluating the EFB. Some are in process of getting the authorization to go paperless. For simming I keep my iPad handy and use Jepp TC and FD for charts. UAL is activating 11,000 of these for cockpit use.

Phill Dant

Banner_FS2Crew_NGX_Driver.jpg

Why doesn't PMDG just partner up with Navigraph and like convert the nDAC software into a gauge for the charts?
They don't have to.If you run everything on one computer and one screen, you can download a utility that lets you open up a custom browser within FSX. (sorry can't remember the name)Then just go to a website like http://www.aircharts.org/charts.php or similar. Edited by trip7cap

I'd prefer to see some ACARS system integrated into the 777 and also the 737 rather than an EFB on release.Maybe they could look into an 'app-like' store for advanced systems etc that could be added to the baseline product, such as an EFB. Also for ACARS, there could be small subscription packages to provide the service for flight plan/performance data etc.Just thinking out loud :)
I know EFB would be more useful for my flight planning and runway/taxiway navigation than ACARS would. ACARS is more of a company thing.If you want a 'useful' ACARS it will have to 'talk to' the weather simulation you are using.And since FSX doesn't simulate maintenance (I don't really see pilots hanging around for maintenance to be completed, that is a LAME's job, and yes the LAMEs can move the aircraft without pilots), I don't see why you would want ACARS?How useful would ACARS be?Not bagging here, just want some reasons how ACARS would be useful.