Sign in to follow this  
Tarnsman

Road and highway texture looks like dirt (warning noob)

What happens if you pause the flight right there and wait maybe a minute or so? Does it ever get better? To me, it appears to be clearly "the blurries," but even with an older system like yours, I would expect for the detail to fill in eventually if you sit there paused.It's showing the correct textures there, just the very un-detailed version of them.

Noah Bryant

Coupla things..Tarnsman; what is your Global Texture setting? and check out Ryan's Inspector setting - the 4X version over at the PMDG forum:-http://forum.avsim.net/topic/324786-nvidia-configuration-guide-inspector-2xxxx-drivers-version-20-explanations-of-all-settings/This will give you a good base from where to begin.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

OkI made the recommended changes to my video card, that gave me about 5 -8 more fps and a better looking plane but did not solve the ground texture issue.I put the sim in pause and waited about 5 min and sure enough very slowly ground textures and defined streets and highways started to appear.I cut back autogen to sparse and actually got a lot more buildings showing in downtown than I had show up with auto gen in normal! The roads seem to be the last thing to render and took a very long time. Meanwhile I was averaging 34 fps with great plane control.So now what to do? I can see that I am missing on a huge amount of ground detail as things stand, please tell me there is a solution.Thanks for the help.

As Jim has requested, please post your FSX control panel settings, without those this thread is completely pointless!

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

You are running very low spec for FSX. Post your FSX settings, pictures of it, then we'll talk further.I suggest your revert NI to its default setting, whatever it is, in FSX select Anisotropic Filtering and Antialiasing. Your GPU is going to handle that.Rest is the thing of the CPU - scenery settings, autogen, AI... etc.

OkI made the recommended changes to my video card, that gave me about 5 -8 more fps and a better looking plane but did not solve the ground texture issue.I put the sim in pause and waited about 5 min and sure enough very slowly ground textures and defined streets and highways started to appear.I cut back autogen to sparse and actually got a lot more buildings showing in downtown than I had show up with auto gen in normal! The roads seem to be the last thing to render and took a very long time. Meanwhile I was averaging 34 fps with great plane control.So now what to do? I can see that I am missing on a huge amount of ground detail as things stand, please tell me there is a solution.Thanks for the help.
OK... Here is what I would try if I were you but do keep in mind that your Pentium CPU is the main issue here but I think we can help you get something more enjoyable with some setting changes but the sim wont look like what you see in all the videos floating around.1 - Leave your inspector settings as they are per my instructions from my link in a previous post.2 - Get rid of Bojotes tweeks by deleteing or renaming your CFG3 - Launch FSX and let it build a new CFG. Once back in FSX change your settings to the following. If I dont mention a setting to change that means you can set it however you wish.(GRAPHICS TAB)Set your Frame Rate Lock to 20Filtering to Trilinear (as long as you have it set up as per my previous posts instructions)UN-Check AA (as long as you have it set up as per my previous posts instructions)Set Global Texture Resolution to MAX (Very High)(Aircraft TAB)UN-Check the 2 aircraft Shadow options(Scenery TAB)Set Level of Detail Radius to Medium (because of your CPU)Mesh set to 80 (because of your CPU)Mesh Resolution set to 38Texture Resolution set to 1mSet Water to Low 1.xSet Scenery Complexity to DenseSet Autogen to NormalMake sure ground scenery shadows is UN checked(Weather TAB)Cloud draw distance set to 60 milesSet thermal visuals to noneDetail Cloud Coverage Density set to High(Traffic TAB)For the inital test lets turn off ALL traffic in all the catagories. We will come back to this tab after you do a few test runs.Press OK and load up a flight and use one of the default fsx aircraft like the cessna and see how it goes.After doing this test please post back with your results.

Jim Wenham

Jim has posted some very good recommendations. In a nutshell, you're going to have to start with your settings almost as low as possible and see if it looks okay. There's a good chance even then it won't look good. You're computer is, without a doubt, the problem though. FSX is very CPU dependent, meaning even if you were able to put the best possible video card on your computer right now(which isn't technically possible) it would still not perform much better.

Noah Bryant

Jim,I made all settings to match your recommendations. i now get some visible road textures and fps now capped at 20. This is with the stock cfg file rebuilt by the sim. What I don't get is why my plane and airports look so good, but the ground textures load so slowly? Also, despite the frame rate the plane still flies pretty good.

When you load up at an airport, FS loads all the scenery and textures you need. But as you take off and fly, it has to read the data for the area coming up, obtain the scenery textures, process them, then send them to your video card.Do you by any chance have a slow hard drive? Like less than 7200 RPM? You could also try a disk defrag too, that may help a little.Also, try turning autogen completely off and see if that helps you any.

Noah Bryant

Well that helped a little..... very little. I have to be honest with you.... I have never seen a case of the blurries this bad ever! Yes, try no autogen like Noah has mentioned and see how she goes. Is all this happening from a FRESH FSX install? Has it never look good or has it just become this way? If it is a first time installation you MUST MUST MUST MUST run a HD defrag as you HD will be a complete mess after a FSX install.I also want you to try this setting change in your video card..... go into inspector and on your FSX profile find a area names "MAXIMUM PRERENDERED FRAMES" it should be at the default of 3 but change it to a value of 1. Apply the change and exit and give FSX another try and see while keeping all the settings you have already made.

Jim Wenham

It appears to be the texture resolution. It does not seem to run much faster regardless what I do or what I turn down (including turning everything to minimum) tex res still is no better than the last image posted. Also, turning all scenery sliders to min. my frame rate drops to the mid teens. Alternativly I can tun all settings on max and get low 20s. It seems that my GPU can carry the weight of all the settings except texture resolution. Maxing out each setting one by one does not significantly afffect my fps (ave 22-28 over down town DC) but the ground texture looks like crap even though I can run everything else high.So, it seems as if the tex res does not run through the GPU. Is there anyway to speed tex res up?

Global Texture Resolution must always be set to the highest position - no matter what the cpu.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Tarnsman, I have to clarify couple of things here:FSX is highly CPU dependant application.No matter how you look at it, your CPU, if it's a Pentium 955 extreme edition, then you are quite CPU limited.Your CPU is, compared to your GPU, quite slow. Now, if we were talking first generation i7 chips, the story would be different, at least if you had 4 cores to use. But you have two. Forget the HT cores. That puts FSX in quite hard position.You basically are using one core for FSX calculations and one for texture loading.Autogen/Scenery is NOT running off the GPU.GPU in FSX is mostly used for Clouds, Antialiasing, Anisotropic Filtering etc... and a bit for FSX itself (scenery, but not at all as much as you would think). But you are going to notice, as much as you crank up AI (cars for instance), or autogen, it's going to go through the CPU (you'll notice no higher GPU usage if you don't have AA/AF cranked up).You should for the sake of the test turn off both in any external programs and run default AA and AF in FSX.First of all: I don't care what FPS you are getting, nor is that worth a squat. Forget FPS. Limit your FPS to 20 and then test your FSX. Make sure the FPS DO NOT fall below the set number. If they do, go with the slider lower so that they don't any more. See if textures are kept sharp.You must know one thing: by default, your Core0 is sharing 3 things by default: main thread, fibers and texture loading, while your 2nd core is usually doing texture loading only. This is only if you don't change anything through the SCHEDULER (Affinitymask).A second tweak that might help you achieve a better textureloading vs. FPS ratio is FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION.Go here to learn more about it: http://blogs.msdn.co...f-the-week.aspxIt basically tells CPU how much to give to the texture loader and how much for the FPS. Faster the CPU, more cores it hast, the lower the number can be.I would start testing with minimal settings and limited FPS slider in FSX - do not turn off autogen, do not turn off scenery, but set to minimal, NOT OFF. Turn off all AI, Bloom, aircraft shadows and set your clouds slider to 60nm. But do turn up your ground texture quality to maximum.What you gotta do is make FSX work minimally on the CPU and start tweaking from there. You can't just move sliders back and forth and expect it to find the solution. FSX doesn't work like that!Anyway, wish you best of luck. Hope this helped at least a bit.