Sign in to follow this  
Stanner

Tai message in FMC scratchpad-What does it mean?

Gentlemen,On occassion I get the following message on the FMC scratch pad "TAI on above 10 degrees" . What does this mean? I can notice no change in the handlingof the aircraft.I also began getting a constant beeping throughout the flight. There are no messages on the FMC, and no warning messages, I checked that gear is up,flaps up, etc. and can find nothing out of order, just the constant BEEP, BEEP ETC.Thanks.Stanner

Edited by Stanner

Hi.It means the air temperature is above 10 degrees and therefore anti-ice is unecessary, yet you have them turned on on the overhead panel. Turn 'em off.Reagards,Armando Arjona.

The beeping, I'm guessing might be the cabin altitude warning. You must ensure that your cruise altitude is entered in the overhead, and engine bleeds and packs are on (this is part of the after takeoff checklist)I'd suggest reading the excellent tutorial that came with the NGX, and if you have any questions on procedures they can most likely be answered in the FCOM normal procedures section.

Steve Caffey

Gentlemen,Thank you. I have read the tutorial, twice. I did have the cruise altitude entered in the overhad and the enging bleeds and packs were on.Appreciate your help.Stanner

Stanner,The TAI message is your ANTI-ICE systems turned on above 10 degrees, or you want some TAI food....ok bad joke.The beeping you may be hearing could be the audio for your Nav systems....ie VOR audio and such. The default commands are CTRL+1,2,3,4 I believe, just double check those in your key commands. A lot of people (like me) who use the 2D overhead and lower console at times, will accidently hit CTRL+(the number) instead of SHIFT and the number which will turn on the audio without knowing you did it. I've done it many times. Hope that helps. If that's not the beeping you are hearing could you give us more specifics of what you are doing when the beeping is happening.Bryan

Speaking of TAI...what can one enter in the TAI ON/OFF in the FORECAST page of the FMC? Does one enter a number (snince typing ON or OFF won't work)?

Guest dlrk

ON altitude/OFF altitude

Speaking of TAI...what can one enter in the TAI ON/OFF in the FORECAST page of the FMC? Does one enter a number (snince typing ON or OFF won't work)?
You enter the altitude you want to turn on the Anti-Ice while descending. After the slash you enter the altitude you expect to turn off the Anti-Ice. Ex.5000/2000The reason you might want to enter this is because the TAI requires a higher N1 the aircraft won't descend the same speed. That means that you will be high and fast at your destination or won't be able to meet an altitude constriction. Entering the information will make the aircraft descend earlier from your cruise. Remember that you only need anti-ice if you have visible moisture. If it is clear weather you don't need to enter anything.Hope this helps Manfred

Manfred G.

Ships are cooler that you think.

thx guys. I normally don't enter TAI there since I won't know if there's any need to tun on anti-ice. I just look outside, check thetemperature and then decide to turn on ani-ice.