Sign in to follow this  
funnelpond

Flight will cost a small fortune

Guest Antlab
To replace all of the crappy 24,000 FSX default runways that nobody uses...
Hey, I use them! Just%20Kidding.gifNot all the 24000 obviously, but for example with the standard FSX missions you have to fly in airports in America (north and south, e.g. Seattle, Amazzonia), Europe (Amsterdam, Rome, Innsbruck), Africa (the mission with the DC-3 near the erupting volcano...), and Asia (if I remember well there was nothing in Oceania). And this was only for the standard missions. I found a nice freeware mission where you had to use many very small runways in Idaho, quite challenging. Furthermore some of the big training manuals use different airports to show the various procedures (ATC related). So please don't dismiss so easily the standard content of the good old FSX, Orbx can be nice, but not a strict necessity.A.

Hi JTrot - Welcome to the forums - What's pretty neat is the entire globe is already in Flight, just in low resolution and detail. So, if you did have FL and IL 'enhanced scenery packs' and flew between, all the land would be there, it just wouldn't look very good.
Thanks Rush for the welcome. Yeah, I actually thought a bit deeper into it after my post. I guess it would be very possible to have, say the vegetation coverage for the entire world (lo res or hi), and take out the airports, cities, roads, etc. That way you could still fly from point A to point B without having a "black hole" to fly through. I'm by far any kind of programmer and I suppose their are so many options MS can implement that I, along with everyone else, will just have to wait and see.
Hi jtrot22 and welcome to the forums here!Always good to see new blood joining in.It will be interesting to see how MS progresses in regards to DLC and geography.My guess is they will block it into regions, much like the way say some of the Mesh folks do, like FS Genesis for FSX.But who knows, no one will until more is revealed.Hey btw, what you got against TN and KY? I live in TN, born and bred here, and got kin in KY! lol, j/kGive Flight some more time, you will be surpised what all you can do, even with just the core free download - especially with the missons and challenges, and if you splurge for the Hawaii pak, it opens up a bunch more.Have fun!
Sorry dburne, almost missed your post. Thanks for the warm welcome. I actually meant to put a "no offense to TN or KY" in my initial post but I figured I had rambled on enough. Didn't want to bore anyone too bad. Anyway, I have nothing against either one. I actually lived in TN about 3 years ago (lived there for 6 1/2) and I've done enough work in KY that I might as well have setup household there too.I'm still tinkering with Flight. I don't have the addon pack yet but I do play it on and off. It runs fantastically on my machine and the graphics and sounds are amazing. Like others, I do miss things like ATC, AI aircraft, full navigation, real weather, etc. but I'm sure they will come at some point. OK, I'll quit rambling so I don't keep falling off topic.

Sorry dburne, almost missed your post. Thanks for the warm welcome. I actually meant to put a "no offense to TN or KY" in my initial post but I figured I had rambled on enough. Didn't want to bore anyone too bad. Anyway, I have nothing against either one. I actually lived in TN about 3 years ago (lived there for 6 1/2) and I've done enough work in KY that I might as well have setup household there too.I'm still tinkering with Flight. I don't have the addon pack yet but I do play it on and off. It runs fantastically on my machine and the graphics and sounds are amazing. Like others, I do miss things like ATC, AI aircraft, full navigation, real weather, etc. but I'm sure they will come at some point. OK, I'll quit rambling so I don't keep falling off topic.
I missed them too at first, but honestly I am having so much fun at the moment I haven't give them much more thought - I would like to see it added down the road though.If you are really enjoying Flight, do yourself a favor and go ahead and get the Hawaii expansion - worth it just for the RV6, that thing is a blast to fly.Have fun!

FSX, for most of us who still fly it, cost's a LARGE fortune. I know many FSX pilots that have spent more then $1000 on just software. Not to mention 3x that on hardware.
And you just hit the nail on the head! Lets see some of the products I have bought over the years listed, shall we:Dreamfleet 737-400Dreamfleet 727Flight1 Cessna ConquestFlight1 Level-D767Flight1 Super 80Flight1 Piper this and thatFlight1 UTFlight1 UT2Flight1 ... again..Wilco ERJ and CRJsAerosoft BronxAerosoft AES credits (over and over again)Aerosoft airportsMajestic Software Dash8PSS Dash 8PSS 777PSS 757PSS airbus rangePMDG 737PMDG 737NGXPMDG747PMDG MD11And loads of other aircrafts, yes, loadsThen for the scenery;About, oh i dont know 30-40-50-60 airportsGround texturesterrain dataAnd then dozens of applications like EFB, REX and the list goes on and on and on and on.... :Hypnotized:I almost think that all those money spent on add-ons could have bought me a PPL.. Nah, maybe not in Norway..My problem is that I love to fly all over the world, from the bushes of Alaska to the northern parts of Norway, to the Great Victoria Desert..So im not gonna make a fuzz about MS Flight add-on costs just yet..

Yngve Giljebrekke
ENZV NSB

I've already spent a fortune on FSX and FS9...what's another fortune for the hobby I love. lol

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

Well, based on simple math and around $20 for the rest of Hawaii - the rest of the world will cost $250,000

I'm going to take a guess that MS will do a (comparitively) lower fidelity version of the globe as a payware DLC add-on, possibly based on the FSX database, and supplement this by banging out sections of smaller places at higher fidelity in the manner of the Hawaii package. I could live with an expansion model along those lines.And hey, if they don't do that, then look at it this way; if it does cost us a small fortune to fly in Flight, then MS really will have made simulated flying as real as it gets, because it costs a small fortune to fly around in the real world too, and that's just when you stay near your home airfield LOLAl

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Well, based on simple math and around $20 for the rest of Hawaii - the rest of the world will cost $250,000
I would never buy the entire world anyways. In fact, I would be happy with just the West Coast of the US starting in CA and traveling up to Alaska.

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3