Sign in to follow this  
Murray_CHYZ

Night lighting - or lack there of.

This post is to determine if it is just me, just my setup, or if others agree that the night lighting is not "bright" enough.I have been enjoying Flight for several days now. I think it is a FUN distraction from the real world... anyway... I just now started a "job" that had me taking some passengers to someplace (not important), but I had a VERY hard time taxi(ing) to the runway. It was night time, with overcast skies and rain. Yes... I did have all the lights on.BTW, I like the Landing light effect... it looks good... just not bright enough. Oh, and I have tried adjusting my monitor's brightness/gamma etc. That just produced a "washed out" effect.Anyone?

Ya. Night flying is hard. It went through a few adjustments during beta. At one point it was overly bright, now its overly dark. I think a middle ground is needed. If I fly at night, I hop from cloud to cloud. If I can see a cloud, I know there is no mountian between me and that cloud. I dont go THROUGH the cloud. Just find my next cloud target in the distance. Thats not how you fly in real life. Sometimes you dont have cloud targets, or your nothing but clouds.

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer

I notice this immediately in the beta release and am surprised it was not fixed. Long time FSX (I think it was this version) people will remember the same problem and it was fixed.Bob - LCNM

I'm having night lighting issues too (or lack of). The observatory mission was completely void of lights (that I could see). I did manage to do the observation part of the mission, but when I returned to the airport, I couldn't see *anything* in terms of runway lights or really much of anything else. Couldn't do the landing because I couldn't see the runway, or even the airport for that matter. . .just complete darkness.

You're right Rush (say that fast 5 times.... right rush, right rush...) Let there be light MS!

It can be difficult at times Murray. I've even had my little guy right near my 46 screen looking for the airport with me but usually it takes a few fly pasts before I get the actual direction of the runway or even see it.I also think the landing lights of the aircraft could be a bit brighter.I see your from good ole Dartmouth. I just got posted to Ontario a few years ago after spending 7 in Halifax.

That's weird, I tried night flying for the first time yesterday, and I thought it was overly bright. It seemed like I could see everything bright and clear, and I thought "where's the challenge?". Is there some way to change the phase of the moon, perhaps?Anyway, I then thought I'd have a go at flying in fog (my first time), also at night.Terrifying. I could barely see a thing, especially as the Icon doesn't have an attitude indicator. Just about managed to land - I felt rather proud of myself until I realised once I was down I'd actually landed on the airport parking area rather than the landing strip...

For me, no matter what weather theme I pick, if the moon is up, nights are overly bright. If there's no moon, the it seems realistically dark at night. This was the same issue in the last beta update, and I was told that there was in issue with the lighting effect from moonlight. Apparently this still hasn't been fixed.

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

That's weird, I tried night flying for the first time yesterday, and I thought it was overly bright. It seemed like I could see everything bright and clear, and I thought "where's the challenge?". Is there some way to change the phase of the moon, perhaps?Anyway, I then thought I'd have a go at flying in fog (my first time), also at night.Terrifying. I could barely see a thing, especially as the Icon doesn't have an attitude indicator. Just about managed to land - I felt rather proud of myself until I realised once I was down I'd actually landed on the airport parking area rather than the landing strip...
This was my opinion also. It's insanely bright.It's 12:30am, I'm over a mountain range.. Why is it again the terrain is glowing and I can count individual trees? That should be nearly pitch black beneath me moon or no moon.97fce3ea.jpg Edited by styckx

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

I found the moon to cause the ground to be excessively bright. You should see stars if there is no moon at all.Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

This was my opinion also. It's insanely bright.It's 12:30am, I'm over a mountain range.. Why is it again the terrain is glowing and I can count individual trees? That should be nearly pitch black beneath me moon or no moon.97fce3ea.jpg
Well all I can say is, there is either something wrong with my monitor setup or yours... I am looking at the pic you posted and I can "barely" see a thing! :Thinking: Edited by Murray_CHYZ

I too am getting very bright nights. The sky is black but the ground textures look nearly as bright as day. :Phbbbt: I can see everything on the ground. If that is meant to represent moonlight then it is a long way off.

Maybe the difference is the graphics cards? Night-time on my NVidia is like dusk in real life.

I have 5 monitors at my disposal. They are all 22" Acers. Four of them are connected to to my main PC (3 on a DTH2GO and one above those, connected to a second video card). All four of them show the pic above as being very dark.I just connected monitor number 5 (the newest of the bunch and VERY bright in general) to my main PC. The pic shows very brightly with this monitor.So, maybe we all need to setup our monitors, to get the lighting effect that we want. Thats what I'm going to do.