Sign in to follow this  
Chisco

Supressing sound with "q" causes invrease in fps

Supressing sound with "q" causes increase in fps inside FSX. I was surprised to see a 7 to 10 fps increase in the sim just hitting the q key. My system is a fast SB-E i7 3930K OC at 4.3, and fully ORBX'd and REXD and Accufeel, addon aircraft and what have you. MOBO is n ASUS P9X79. W7 Ultimate.Anyone else experienced this? Anything I can change to reduce the impact of sound on frames? Interestingly enough I can still hear the AccuFeel sounds without a fpsimpact, so I can still get some sound, but would be greatnto get the engines (and the frames) back.Can this be related to DirectX? Is there any proven output format for the sound that would eliminatethe fps impact?

A bit strange - i never noticed any difference in FPS with sound on or off. Something must be wrong with either hardware (sound card) or drivers. Also run dxdiag to see if your directx files are by any chance corrupt or something. There's also good chance, dxdiag will point to the source of your problem

Yeah this is another little known quirk. Are you using Sound Blaster Xi-Fi?If so, there was a driver released for it last year that had a major effect on FSX frames. Looks like the most current driver for it is even newer:Drivers

Noah Bryant

Goes back to FS9 and before if I can remember correctly.

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

Nope, no external sound card, just the internal audio coming with the mobo. And latest drivers since its a new mobo just installed. Internal audio its a:Realtek® ALC892 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC- Supports : Jack-detection, Multi-streaming, Front Panel Jack-retaskingAudio Feature :- Absolute Pitch 192kHz/ 24-bit True BD Lossless Sound- Blu-ray audio layer Content Protection - DTS Ultra PC II- DTS Connect- Optical S/PDIF out port(s) at back panelAnd no strange problems reported by dxdiag.Interestingly, the sounds coming from AccuFeel do not interfere with FPS, and they seem to be unaffected by silencing FSX internally via the "q" key.

Some onboard sounds systems use more CPU cycles than others. With that system though it should have little effect. I'd also guess that there is something not quite right with your sound system.Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I recall reading a long time back that landings were sometimes susceptible to lower frame rates and stuttering while ground effect sounds were being loaded just before touchdown.

I have onboard sound on my Asus P8Z68-M PRO moltherboard (Realtek® ALC892 8-Channel High Definition Audio)It doesn't make a difference in frames with sound on or off.