Sign in to follow this  
StarZtorm

RV-6A Landing challenge 2 - Help please.

Right so i need some advice on how to get at least silver on this landing challenge... All ive managed up until now is bronze. And it is the side skid im having trouble with. How do you land the RV, with relatively strong sidewind, without the side skid? Ive been trying to go in fast to compensate but it doesnt help. trying to line up to the side of the runway and letting the wind blow me in as i touch down doesnt help. Do i need to land in the wind direction? Then how are you supposed to land on the center of the runway? :S I need some advice.

Haven't done that one in a while, are you feeding in rudder with opposite aileron to try and stay lined up with the runway?

Thanks guys, good advice and good article, will try a few more times trying to apply those techniques.

What others have said, particularly crabbing in.This is one of the areas I don't understand what MS was thinking. Challenge #2 should be relatively easy to get a bronze or silver in and it's just not. For those who forget it's the one where you're landing at Kalaupapa with a runway facing Northeast and a 29kt wind coming in from the east. It's a very difficult landing on a short 2700ft runway. I myself can land fine, I can get soft landings day and night crabbing onto the runway but by MS judging side skid on an approach like this it should have been RV Landing Challenge 7 or 8 not #2. I've yet to even get a bronze because of the side skid judging.Even the real pilots have to fight to land in approaches like this. Better camera angle @ 1:56 in

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

This applies to all the landing challenges and is a technique used in RL. Line up on the centerline with the aircraft banked into the wind with just enough bank to counter the drift at the same time hold in just enough rudder to keep the aircraft aligned with the runway.If done properly you will touch down on one main wheel and then settle on the other. You will have zero drift and in a steady crosswind it is very ready once you find the amount of correction you need.Crabbing and then slipping at the last minute is a different technique that works better when you can't see over the nose imho. Both are valid so try both and see what you prefer.The former technique has landed me gold on all the Stearman challenges.the latter technique may allow you to land in cases where you have run out of rudder travel for the side slip which will happen in very strong crosswinds. none of the challenges I have tried so far came even close to reaching half the rudder travel. I don't have the rv6 so I don't know what crosswinds the challenges are throwing at you.

Holy.. Those guys have balls ^^ Yeah the side skid judge is pretty much.. "whine from the tires? No points for you!"

If I may also add that I do like the way that most of the crosswind challenges start with an approach somewhat perpendicular to the runway. You should immediately perform a few tasks.1 slow down and start trimming the aircraft so that it in the vicinity of approach speed.2 observe your ground track. Pay close attention to where the wind is blowing you. You want to land into it so that you have a headwind. It will help slow you down and give you a lot more time to adjust during your approach.3 observe if the runway slopes in one direction. Try to land uphill if there is a steep slope, its a judgment call between wind and slope.4 the landing missions in flight are giving you good advice. use the checklists! Get your approach speed and trim for it. If your speed is wrong, you're going to work a lot harder to land.Practice :)

4 the landing missions in flight are giving you good advice. use the checklists! Get your approach speed and trim for it. If your speed is wrong, you're going to work a lot harder to land.Practice :)
*Citation Needed* B)Most.. The Icon one gives awful instructions.. It's a suicide mission if you listen to your instructor.55kt, 100ft over the threshold and she tells you "Ok, now reduce the throttle to idle and pull back on the stick slightly until you just coast onto the runway" :LMAO:

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

That Icon Landing and Approach checklist is twice as long as 172 checklist.Here's the citation.LandingFlaps - Full or As Required.Speed 65KTS* (70MPH)*Adjust speed as neededThat's it! :lol:It's just meant to remind you of important facts.Now as for the virtual instructor, I'm sure the canned scenarion isn't perfect, but... Don't yank the throttle back to idle. Take about 2-3 seconds to bring it back, by then you should be close to 20 feet off the ground and starting your level off.BTW, you didn't mention if you were at the correct speed when the crossing over the threshold and being asked to bring the throttle to idle. What does the checklist say you should be doing again? :Thinking: 5 KTS can make a huge difference in these small aircraft.

Many great advices here now.. Thanks oracle47, ill keep that in mind.
Try this too. It works beautifully. I totally forgot about this until I tried this challenge again. It's a technique I used in FSX with crosswind landings and totally forgot all about. With TrackIR this would probably be done in real time (I don't own TrackIR) naturally on its own but we have to do it differently in MS Flight without it.The problem currently is if you're plane in slipping to the runway the games eye point is still pointing straight out over the nose of the airplane and not at the runway where it belongs. Your own eye point looking at the computer monitor on the other hand is looking at the runway.. The conflict of perception causes you to instinctively pull left constantly. So to counter this conflict do this. If the nose of the aircraft is 12 oclock, turn the camera to 11 oclock.Example.. You can see moments before touchdown I kicked her round straight and touched down with a lot less side skid.. Not perfect by any means but the slight turn of the camera gives you a better fighting chance now as it's much more natural now to fly the plane slipping in. Crosswinds are hard to nail perfectly, especially 29kt crosswind in a light little aircraft like the RV!http://youtu.be/Sikh_CAgvi0

I found this challenge to be a bit frustrating.. no matter how well i 'crabbed' to line up with the runway correctly, the sideskid rating was always too low for me. I never got anything higher than the bronze award. The way i finally got my silver award was by flying towards the runway from the left side, so you're almost flying into the wind. It helps to know that the way your landing is rated is by the actual touchdown.. it has to be a soft landing, on the centerline and without sideskipping/sliding. So what you do is you fly into the wind, flying maybe about 30/40 degrees perpendicular to the runway. You're not going to be able to roll out on the runway, but as long as you make sure your touchdown is gentle, in the middle and into the wind, you should get a good enough score. After that, you'll end up rolling out besides the runway.. make ysure you don't hit any plants/trees and you should be OK.There's probably also a way to do all this correctly, but my patience wore a bit thin with the rating system, so i'm happy to report that this method did it for me :)