Sign in to follow this  
Andrew Ayad

PMDG 747-400X

Hi all,Is there an option in the PMDG 747-400x to choose if I want analog standby gauges or digitals standby ADI with LCD displays?

I can't remember fully (sadly), but take a look at the PMDG Options menu. It might be in there. In the old FS9 version, I don't believe you could swap them. In the X version, I think you might be able to.

Kyle Rodgers

I'm pretty sure you get analog with the passenger version and ISFD with the freighter but not the option to change them.

Tom Landry

PMDG_NGX_Tech_Team.jpg

I'm saying that you might be able to. It was not a possibility in the FS9 version. You need to check the PMDG Options menu. I'd take a look, but I'm at work.

Kyle Rodgers

I have the 747-400X in front of me and, as far as I can see, the passenger version has three analogue standby gauges and the freighter version has one digital standby display.There is an option to switch between CRT and LCD but this affects only the PFD and the ND.There is no option to switch standby gauges and, in fact, they are hardly even mentioned in the manual.What would be the benefit of a digital standby display if it depends on electrical power?

Dugald Walker

I have the 747-400X in front of me and, as far as I can see, the passenger version has three analogue standby gauges and the freighter version has one digital standby display.There is an option to switch between CRT and LCD but this affects only the PFD and the ND.There is no option to switch standby gauges and, in fact, they are hardly even mentioned in the manual.What would be the benefit of a digital standby display if it depends on electrical power?
The MD-11 was designed with analogue standby instruments. Let's go to the Swissair 111 fire. The TSB said that digital standby instruments may have helped the first officer to fly when the existing conditions prevented him from seeing the analogue gauges. Big benefit there.

Kenny Lee
"Keep climbing"
pmdg_trijet.jpg

So the single digital display could become the standard for standby instrumentation because it is easier to read than analogue and it has a 45 minute backup battery?If the digital signal to the PFD is lost, would it not also be lost to the digital standby display? Do they share the same sensors but have separate wiring to feed the signals?

Dugald Walker

So the single digital display could become the standard for standby instrumentation because it is easier to read than analogue and it has a 45 minute backup battery?If the digital signal to the PFD is lost, would it not also be lost to the digital standby display? Do they share the same sensors but have separate wiring to feed the signals?
Exactly. A bright display is a lot more visible to the crew when visibility in the flight deck is minimal.Power is provided from the battery bus. The ISFD has its own backup power supply.Data is provided by the alternate static and auxiliary pitot tubes. Inertial sensors provide attitude data. Heading information is provided from the IRS (or the compass if you've lost the IRS). The ILS signal is given from the ILS receiver.

Kenny Lee
"Keep climbing"
pmdg_trijet.jpg

Plus, I suppose, you are almost always less than 45 minutes from a suitable landing site. Thanks.

Dugald Walker

The Boeing 777 doesn't have analog standby gauges and it's working perfectly fine, in my personal preferences, I would like to be able to choose which one I want in the cockpit

Plus, I suppose, you are almost always less than 45 minutes from a suitable landing site. Thanks.
If you're going to be using a 747 on routes which don't go further than 45 minutes from a suitable landing site, I doubt you'll be using it to its full potential.(Just about everything in Africa will be out of range, so will the transition between Russia and Europe be, or any TransAtlantic flight.)Also, if I'm not mistaken, the ISFD has got 150 minutes of battery life, not 45. (I might be wrong here though.)

Andrew Ayad,Is the digital standby instrument an option in the real Boeing 747-400?KriVa,I took the 45 minutes from the Swissair Flight 111 report but I have now found a reference which quotes 150 minutes for the Boeing 737. That certainly makes more sense. I couldn't find any references to battery life in the manufacturers' websites.

Dugald Walker

Actually I fly mostly in the United States because charts are easy to access online and there are alot of airports suitable to land a 747 around when you're flying and a problem happens, I don't usually program any failures in my flight until I know everything within the aircraft

At American we switched all out 737 analog standby instruments to the Integrated Stadby Flight Display (ISFD). One main reason is because they are far less expensive to maintain. That's another reason to switch to them.

Tom Landry

PMDG_NGX_Tech_Team.jpg