Sign in to follow this  

Runways always surrounded by trees, forests and woods

Anytime I've gone up at night, I've had to herd deer off the taxiway, off the runway, of the taxiway again and into the woods. With the airplane of course. :)We did have one unfortunate soul who lost his plane when he ran into a deer on a night landing.luckily he was uninjured.

Trees are situated like this in real life in order to make real flying exciting. Everyone knows that! :Peace:Here's another scary mountain landing for ya, not much for the trees, but the very short sloped runway:

Flight is only modeling the real world. If nature decides to grow a tree at the end of a runway, so be it. :lol:

Brandon Filer

That's why I LOVE MS FSX and MS F.I can hit things (trees, buildings, towers, etc. especially in IFR). So I can practice take offs and landings with obstructions. In X-Plane I just fly through them (imagine what "fun" is it for helicopter flying).

Reminded me of an "accident" we had some 30 years ago, but with a yoke of oxen
you CANNOT stop there! that's like previews to a movie - just a teaser - now I want to know the rest of the story!

I flew for years in Michigan, and to the islands in the Great Lakes, there are a lot of runways like that! LOLHappily my landing record was much better then in Flight.

..............When a DLC will allow to buy a powerful chain saw ?
In FSX, where sometimes there are trees almost at the end of the runway, there is freeware program called "lumberjack" that clears all trees within a given radius. Wouldn't help in this case as the trees come with a cliff and floating river.cliff.jpg

Hey man, you are missing out then! You can see some incredible bush flying on youtube. Just search for "bush flying" or "bush landings". Wait until you see some of that stuff, you wont be complaining about a few trees at the end of the runway :PCheck out this video I found

Now THAT would be a challenge. A 60m airstrip on the side of a ridge. I've had lawns bigger than that!

Now THAT would be a challenge. A 60m airstrip on the side of a ridge. I've had lawns bigger than that!
haha i know, right? Alaska is the home of bush flying, so I really hope there are some challenging runways like these in the next expansion pack. Here is hoping for a Supercub to make the most of these bush strips!

Yep a lot of airports even in heavy populated areas are carved out in the middle of forests.Near me and I'm crowded South New JerseyCross keys Airport: http://maps.google.c...60&z=17&iwloc=AWhat final and landing is like. - Goto 3:36

Nice video. It looked like he came in much faster than we do in MS Flight. That video looked like 145kts crossing the threshold.

haha i know, right? Alaska is the home of bush flying, so I really hope there are some challenging runways like these in the next expansion pack. Here is hoping for a Supercub to make the most of these bush strips!
Yes indeed, or the plane featured in that video: a neat little homebuilt called the Zenith CH-701. Can allegedly land and take off in less than 30m if you know what you're doing. The only thing I don't like about it is that the small wheel is at the wrong end, and stick is between the seats, unless you install dual controls.